Sponsored by:

991.1 Rear end kicks out, no apparent reason, help appreciated

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2017, 12:44 PM
R_Rated
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Daohaus
mine's not as pronounced but i can feel when the car is tracking the freeway roads, it happened on my 997.2 as well.
Tracking is normal and a god thing on a sports car. You want to feel the road.

Side stepping is bad.
Old 05-11-2017, 12:53 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,389 Likes on 2,510 Posts

Originally Posted by Daohaus
mine's not as pronounced but i can feel when the car is tracking the freeway roads, it happened on my 997.2 as well.
Most roads are crowned for proper drainage, so, you're feeling some of that, too.
Old 05-11-2017, 12:59 PM
GregD
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

All good advice (alignment, tire check). And no, 911s don't do that normally. An extra word on tires: when I got my car the tires looked new and were full of thread, but the car drove horribly... Low grip, weird feel in the back, unpredictable cornering... They simply aged out despite looking new. A new set of Michelin PSS + alignment made the car feel sooooo much better... Post install I drove home in a light drizzle on the greasiest roads with green tires, and still the car felt way better than it had on the old tires in the dry on my way in ! That much difference. Start there...
Old 05-11-2017, 02:31 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,451 Likes on 2,255 Posts

Originally Posted by GregD
All good advice (alignment, tire check). And no, 911s don't do that normally. An extra word on tires: when I got my car the tires looked new and were full of thread, but the car drove horribly... Low grip, weird feel in the back, unpredictable cornering... They simply aged out despite looking new. A new set of Michelin PSS + alignment made the car feel sooooo much better... Post install I drove home in a light drizzle on the greasiest roads with green tires, and still the car felt way better than it had on the old tires in the dry on my way in ! That much difference. Start there...
^^^this, if your rubber is old, despite "looking" like its new with plenty of tread depth etc, *replace* them... this can occur if you have a low yearly mileage car
Old 05-22-2017, 12:16 AM
Porscheforever
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Dewinator
Did you blow 2 million yen on a lambo just because your 911 was aligned wrong? Whoever considered that "normal" was an idiot.
That idiot was a lead Porsche engineer Alignment was not a problem. Maybe the tires selection were terrible, but they were new and came standard. He said it is "common" to happen at high speed and having more down force with ground effect option is the key. Maybe he tried selling me that option.

Yeah, got the lambo because I can Loving every minute of it though & certainly the best money I've ever spent for fun. The dealer is super nice & has excellent service so far to warrant my business.

PF
Old 05-22-2017, 02:15 AM
Dewinator
Drifting

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Porscheforever
That idiot was a lead Porsche engineer Alignment was not a problem. Maybe the tires selection were terrible, but they were new and came standard. He said it is "common" to happen at high speed and having more down force with ground effect option is the key. Maybe he tried selling me that option.

Yeah, got the lambo because I can Loving every minute of it though & certainly the best money I've ever spent for fun. The dealer is super nice & has excellent service so far to warrant my business.

PF
Well OP said it's happening at normal speed, not high speed. Aero is not going to make a significant difference at normal speed.

Glad you're enjoying the lambo, I figured it would be an enormous hassle.
Old 05-22-2017, 02:49 AM
Petevb
Rennlist Member

Received 704 Likes on 282 Posts

The 991's design environment is the autobahn and north of 160 mph. There stability is key- something you can barely feel at 140 mph becomes life-threatening at 170. No other manufacture takes high speed stability as seriously as Porsche, and as a result they do it better than anyone.

If you feel anything at US highway speeds and the road isn't terrible assume something is wrong. The 911 is very sensitive to rear alignment in particular in part because of the kinematic rear-steer built into the geometry. I would start there.
Old 05-22-2017, 02:56 AM
Pavegeno928
Rennlist Member

Received 431 Likes on 229 Posts

Not normal...check it all: tire pressures, tire age, tire balance, alignment, pads/rotors, and suspension. I routinely drive above 125 mph and periodically between 150-175 mph and always smooth and stable. Good luck and report back what you find.
Old 05-22-2017, 11:15 PM
LTP
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

factory suspension and wheels?

Originally Posted by Matt DMZ
Hello,

I am new to the forum, as I have recently purchased my first 911, a 991.1 Carrera S

I appear to be experiencing something strange when cruising at normal speeds, such as highway driving. I am noticing that sometimes the rear end tends to slightly pull off to the side, and then is quickly corrected. It is driving me crazy, because I cannot effectively duplicate the issue, but it happens frequently. Like I said, my first 911 so I have no experience to compare this too. I am not sure if the tires are just tracking with contours in the road because they are so wide, or if something weird is happening with the diff. Any advice on this would be greatly appreciated. It feels like the car receives a small jolt, similar to if you were driving along and a strong gust of wind suddenly broad-sided you for a split second.

Otherwise I am in love with my new car, I can see why everyone loves these things so much!

Quick Reply: 991.1 Rear end kicks out, no apparent reason, help appreciated