Sponsored by:

Best Tire For Reduced Noise

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2017, 08:48 AM
kayjh
Drifting

Received 688 Likes on 480 Posts

Originally Posted by sanjeev
Also, you may want to review www.auto-decibel-db.com for published interior sound level tests. That source lists the 2013 Carrera S at 68.2 dbA at 70 mph.
It lists a 2016 Carerra S at 71 db (70 mp/h) and a 2012 BMW 535 (my last car) at 61 db. So the numbers are different in my test (BMW 83db, Porsche 93db) on my test road, but the difference between the cars (around db) on the same road is about the same (~10db). I think someone has posted that that a 10 db difference is a doubling of the sound pressure. That is consistent with my impression of the sound difference.

In a perfect world, these cars would be as loud as they are (for the buyers who like then that way) an for the rest of us, there would be a switch to turn on an active noise cancellation system to quiet the car down on less than perfect roads. That way, every one wins.
Old 05-16-2017, 12:58 AM
planet
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I also have a 535i (F10) and find the road noise in my 991.2 C4S higher -- unsurprisingly so. I find the noise level appropriate for a sports car, but perhaps a touch too high to leave 3+ hour drives at highway speed with one's ears completely intact. OTOH, the sound systems in the new 2017s are noticeably improved.

There was a thread here, a while ago, on adding sound dampening material to the wheel wells. Quite the DIY job. After new tires and plugging up the symposer, I would look at that, perhaps?
Old 05-16-2017, 06:44 PM
kayjh
Drifting

Originally Posted by planet
I also have a 535i (F10) and find the road noise in my 991.2 C4S higher -- unsurprisingly so. I find the noise level appropriate for a sports car, but perhaps a touch too high to leave 3+ hour drives at highway speed with one's ears completely intact. OTOH, the sound systems in the new 2017s are noticeably improved.

There was a thread here, a while ago, on adding sound dampening material to the wheel wells. Quite the DIY job. After new tires and plugging up the symposer, I would look at that, perhaps?
Symposer gets plugged on Thursday by the dealer. I'm adjusting to the noise level and keep ear plugs handy for longer highway drives over poor surface asphalt. I doubt there are any tires that would make a big difference to the interior noise levels, but if Tire Rack or someone test and has different results, I might be inclined to change when the current set wear down.

As to the sound systems, if you are at all concerned about db levels hitting your ears (I am) then using the sound system to drown out tire and exhaust noise, you might accomplish that, but you'll be sending 100 db to your ear drums in the process.

I'm sure there are roads in America where you can drive 70 mph and get a 70 db interior (that is what Road and Track tested the car at), but where I live isn't one of those areas.
Old 05-16-2017, 06:47 PM
Gary JR
Rennlist Member

Received 158 Likes on 113 Posts

Ear plugs? EAR PLUGS?

Old 05-16-2017, 07:15 PM
sechsgang
Rennlist Member

Received 961 Likes on 456 Posts

continentals seem to be the quietest, the pirellis are definitely the loudest and michelin super sport seem to be in the middle but with the best overall performance. I wonder how the new 4s is.
Old 05-16-2017, 11:37 PM
sanjeev
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hello again,
This may be extreme, but if you are so inclined, you may be able to get anywhere from 2-6 dbA noise reduction with an interior dynamat treatment. This does involve some interior work, however, and may not be cheap. A high end audio installer should be able to advise of options for interior sound deadening treatment.
Old 05-17-2017, 11:41 AM
kayjh
Drifting

Originally Posted by sanjeev
Hello again,
This may be extreme, but if you are so inclined, you may be able to get anywhere from 2-6 dbA noise reduction with an interior dynamat treatment. This does involve some interior work, however, and may not be cheap. A high end audio installer should be able to advise of options for interior sound deadening treatment.
I think that is just too much work and expense and I don't think I'd undertake it from a claimed 2 - 6 db improvement on an enthusiast forum (no offence intended). In any event, at the low range (2 db), I don't think it would be worth the effort.

I've dealt with my ear condition since I was in my mid 30's and have done pretty well by limiting how much high volume continuous noise I expose my ears to. Clearly, I am in the minority in the Porsche world though (sensitivity to noise), so I do what I can to be able to enjoy the car and protect my hearing.

I've been riding Sea Doos since 2003. That is where I first noticed the impact of loud noise on my hearing. So, I wear -30db ear plugs when I ride. I get off at the end of the day and don't hear anymore ringing in my ears than I did before I started out - which is a good thing. So, on the worst of the roads at speed over a long drive, I'll do similar, but with less noise defeat, cutting about 10 db from the tire roar on the highway and just enjoy my car.
Old 06-02-2017, 12:40 PM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Received 664 Likes on 357 Posts

I got my new Michelin Pilot 4S tires installed last week. Before replacing them, I used the Decibel10 app on my iPhone to take a DB reading of my older P-Zeros on the car. Note that the PZeros still had reasonable tread left before the wear bead with 4/32" remaining at the most worn spot, but I was replacing them since they seem to be getting too slippery despite being only around 18 months old (based upon the dates on the tires). I think here in central Texas we probably get more heat-cycling effect than many places.

I knew the new tires felt better and sounded quieter, but I'm pretty surprised by the difference I got in the readings from the Decibel10 app. I can't say whether these DB numbers are completely accurate, but the comparison should still be valid since the readings were taken with the exact same app on the same road section under the same conditions: cruise set at 70mph, reasonably new asphalt (the new kind made for better wet traction), flat section with no bridge seams, AC off, fans off, car in Normal, PASM off, radio off, windows up, similar temperatures, phone place in same position and mounted the same.

How much is due to new vs old (tread depth, heat-cycling hardness), and how much is due to the tire themselves I can't say (I do think the PZeros had gotten somewhat hard), but here is the before with the old PZeros on the left, the new Pilot 4Ss on the right. I'm very pleased! So far I can say the turn in and line holding is much improved and ride feels better too, so nothing but wins for me.
The following users liked this post:
Johndani (11-15-2020)
Old 06-02-2017, 12:42 PM
addysdaddy
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by STG
Michelin Pilot Super Sport are supposed to be less noisy than Pirelli.
Just made the change over and totally agree. Michelin's all the way going forward. The 4s were not release so I have the Pilot Super Sport which I really like.
Old 06-30-2017, 04:57 PM
asia
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by kayjh
It lists a 2016 Carerra S at 71 db (70 mp/h) and a 2012 BMW 535 (my last car) at 61 db. So the numbers are different in my test (BMW 83db, Porsche 93db) on my test road, but the difference between the cars (around db) on the same road is about the same (~10db). I think someone has posted that that a 10 db difference is a doubling of the sound pressure. That is consistent with my impression of the sound difference.
The Car and Driver Track Sheet gives 71 dB at a 70 mph cruise for the 991.2 C2 MT with 19" Yokohama Advan Sport V105 tires.

I did a test this morning in my 991.2 C2 MT with factory 20" Pirelli PZero's cruising at 70 mph in 7th gear with windows rolled up and fan turned off. Highway I280 in California has both concrete and lower noise rubberized asphalt sections. I measured 74 dB(A) on the concrete and 71 dB(A) on the rubberized asphalt, using the NIOSH SLM iPhone app. Rolling the driver's window down increased noise by about 7 dB(A).
Old 06-30-2017, 05:12 PM
Valvefloat991
Burning Brakes

Received 117 Likes on 78 Posts

Did you allow for the fact that when the speedometer shows 70, the true speed is more like 68?
Old 06-30-2017, 05:12 PM
mark1960
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Michelin Pilot Super Sport N 4, I believe. Designed to meet Porsche's specs. Very quiet indeed compared to the last set I had on, Continentals. My nest set will be the same.
Old 06-30-2017, 05:14 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,858 Likes on 1,902 Posts

I find the PZeros on my Carrera are fairly quiet on most pavement, and I only get a lot of tire noise on rough pavement.
Old 06-30-2017, 05:17 PM
mark1960
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Valvefloat991. Last Tuesday pulled over for 83 mph in 60 mph stretch. The car indicated the same speed as the HP's radar. From reading threads on the subject I purposely was driving 3 mph over my desired speed. Lesson learned
Old 06-30-2017, 05:33 PM
asia
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Valvefloat991
Did you allow for the fact that when the speedometer shows 70, the true speed is more like 68?
Good point, but no. The app's measurement varies somewhat at a constant speed, which tends to mask the +/- 1 mph speed changes during my tests.

Quick Reply: Best Tire For Reduced Noise