Sponsored by:

991.2 Symposer Tube Disconnect

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2017, 05:19 PM
Valvefloat991
Burning Brakes

Received 119 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan Nagy
I changed out my Goodyears for Michelins at 3,000 miles for handling and road noise reasons. It hurts a little to be exchanging new tires for new tires, but it was worth it to me.
Dan, do you have 19s or 20s on your car? And are the Michelins much quieter than the Goodyears?

I have a 991.2 Carrera with 19-inch Yokohamas and heard that the Goodyears were quieter than the Yokos. If the Michelins are quieter still, that would be great. Of course the Pilot 4S is not yet available in the 991.2 19-inch rear size.
Old 06-07-2017, 08:03 PM
911sTO
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sound symposer pics from inside

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...poser-mod.html
Old 06-07-2017, 08:54 PM
Stanley Park
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by kayjh
My only disappointment is road noise. I suffer from tinnitus and continuous loud noise can aggravate it.
This may be a completely impractical solution but have your tried a noise cancelling headset? I am not suggesting that you wear the headset whenever your seatbelt is fastened but perhaps use it when driving the noisy stretches of concrete highway that you encounter on your daily commute.

I too suffer from tinnitus but have not yet encountered the road conditions in my brand new 911 to trigger an episode but droning low-frequency noise will do it for me. After reading your postings about the tire noise I am curiously dreading my first highway trip.

I've used Bose aviation-style over-ear noise cancelling headsets for years. They are very effective in reducing noise, protecting hearing and reducing fatigue. I have also used the home-style Bose "quiet comfort" headsets in a noisy office environment and for long distance airline travel but never in a car. From experience, I am a big fan of active noise cancelling technology.

If you have friends or family members who could lend you a pair of noise cancelling headphones so that you can try them when driving your new Porsche on the highway you might find that they solve the problem. I don't think that I would buy a set without being able to return them if they were not effective. And as I mentioned, it may not be practical.
Old 06-08-2017, 04:19 PM
philg3
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 72 Posts

Good ideas and documentation here. I'd like to take the noise down a bit, but want to do it as simply as possible. I just ordered sound deadening material from Amazon, will plug the hole(s) below the rear window, as other have, and cover the area with Noico 80 mil material. Don't want to mess with the engine compartment.
Old 06-08-2017, 04:35 PM
Dan Nagy
Rennlist Member

Received 2,218 Likes on 1,117 Posts

Originally Posted by Valvefloat991
Dan, do you have 19s or 20s on your car? And are the Michelins much quieter than the Goodyears?

I have a 991.2 Carrera with 19-inch Yokohamas and heard that the Goodyears were quieter than the Yokos. If the Michelins are quieter still, that would be great. Of course the Pilot 4S is not yet available in the 991.2 19-inch rear size.
Sorry for my late reply as I have been traveling to Europe. I have 19's and the Michelins are quieter to my ear.

Quick Reply: 991.2 Symposer Tube Disconnect