Sponsored by:

991.2 Symposer Tube Disconnect

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2017, 01:02 PM
ralt12
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by kayjh
My car is a PDK. I spent a lot of time thinking about a 911, but not much seat time, primarily because my dealer almost never has cars on the lot. I did get a total of about 1 hour behind the wheel over 3 test drives at different times. My main concern was with the ride quality. I'm happy to report that my C4 with standard PASM and 20" wheels rides great. It remains composed even over broken pavement and never feels rough to the point of harshness.

In almost every way, this car has met or exceeded my expectation. While I appreciate many will say the S model is the way to go (and I don't want to start a debate on that), so far, I find this car to have more than enough power for me.

My only disappointment is road noise. I suffer from tinnitus and continuous loud noise can aggravate it. C&D tested this car a 71db @ 70 mp/h. On my commute to work on concrete that has some wear, my iPhone measures 87 - 90 db at 50 mp/h. So, that is pretty disappointing. I didn't really address my mind to the road noise on test drives as I was fixated on ride quality after having a 2015 model on a test drive for a day and night.

If you aren't sensitive to the road noise, I'd agree with all of the auto journalists that this car is an amazing sports car. It is quick, handles brilliantly and looks beautiful. The seating position, controls and instruments are perfect. I love being low to the ground and everything is right where it should be.

While there are a lot of buttons, I'm learning my way around them fairly quickly. Apple car play is a welcome addition.

The owners manual says not to lug the engine during break in, so for those with PDK, that means driving in Sport mode as the car shifts up very quickly otherwise and the engine loafs along at 1,100 RPM in the city. You won't have that problem, of course.

There are tons of options for these cars, but I agree with my SA that you don't need a lot of them to get the 911 experience.

What would I configure differently next time? I think I'd skip PSE. I have to believe that even defeated it is louder than the stock exhaust and as you can tell, I'm not interested in any more noise than is necessary. I don't think I'd add any more options. What did I get right? I opted for the solid sunroof for my white car. the SA tried to persuade me to go glass. When the car came in, everyone who saw it thought it looked very sharp. So, I'm happy with that decision.

Overall, aside from the tire roar, very happy with the car. If it gets to the point that my ears are being aggravated, I'll trade it for a Panamera 4S though.
What tires are you using ? I found a huge difference between the Michelins and the Conti Extreme Contact Sports (those were a LOT quieter).
Old 05-04-2017, 01:31 PM
kayjh
Drifting

Received 708 Likes on 494 Posts

Originally Posted by ralt12
What tires are you using ? I found a huge difference between the Michelins and the Conti Extreme Contact Sports (those were a LOT quieter).
Car was delivered with Pirelli tires.
Old 05-04-2017, 01:42 PM
quattroboy
Rennlist Member

Received 60 Likes on 25 Posts

Congrats on the new purchase, I bet it looks sharp with the white and offsetting black RS wheels. Glad everything is to your liking, with the exception of the road noise and a bit of induction noise. I'm in your camp too and have ear problems, can't listen to loud music anymore and long drives can affect my hearing. That is why I ordered mine w/o PSE. I guess I'm a old guy :-)

A bit off topic, but does the Voice Control work?
Old 05-04-2017, 01:57 PM
kayjh
Drifting

Originally Posted by quattroboy
Congrats on the new purchase, I bet it looks sharp with the white and offsetting black RS wheels. Glad everything is to your liking, with the exception of the road noise and a bit of induction noise. I'm in your camp too and have ear problems, can't listen to loud music anymore and long drives can affect my hearing. That is why I ordered mine w/o PSE. I guess I'm a old guy :-)

A bit off topic, but does the Voice Control work?
I've used it (voice control) on the Apple Car Play side with Siri, but haven't explored further. Truth is, I'm not so much interested in the tech that keeps getting added to the cars. I just want to drive it and be able to take a call or return a text message.

While the car is louder than I'd like (exhaust noise) even with PSE off, you don't really hear much inside the car except for the induction noise, which I understand can be plugged. My understanding was that on the outside of the car, PSE wasn't much louder than the stock exhaust, with the system disabled. I'm not sure hat is the case though.

But be prepared for road noise though. if different tires made a significant difference I'd consider changing them, but I'm not about to shell out $4,000 to get the car 1 or 2 db quieter.
Old 05-04-2017, 02:08 PM
ralt12
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

In my case, changing the tires was a story of having to yell at 75, or having a reasonably quiet conversation. More than a 1 or 2 db difference, for sure.
Old 05-04-2017, 04:39 PM
kayjh
Drifting

Originally Posted by ralt12
In my case, changing the tires was a story of having to yell at 75, or having a reasonably quiet conversation. More than a 1 or 2 db difference, for sure.
I can talk to the dealer, but I doubt they will be willing to swap rubber to keep me happy. I'd have to buy new rubber and sell my old ones. Without a road test report from an independent party showing a 4 - 5 db difference on worn roads, I wouldn't bother. It is what it is, I guess I'll get used to it. I do plan to plug the symposers though. I'm used to driving inline 6's in BMWs and listening more to the engine smoothly wind up than the exhaust drone and growl. I guess that is the difference between a sports sedan and a sports car. I'll get used to it. Otherwise, drives fantastically.
Old 05-04-2017, 04:51 PM
asia
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

I'll get used to it.
Hearing issues, check out Etymotic Musicians earplugs: https://www.etymotic.com/consumer/he...tion/erme.html

I use them on my sport bike.
Old 05-04-2017, 10:55 PM
Valvefloat991
Burning Brakes

Received 119 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by subshooter
Second symposer also opens up in sport mode without SC. I looked it up. See below review.

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...al-test-review
But the Car and Driver test car had PSE. Mine doesn't. Do you think the second symposer still operates the same way?
Old 05-04-2017, 11:14 PM
bkrantz
Rennlist Member

Received 1,072 Likes on 641 Posts

Car was delivered with Pirelli tires.
Mine was delivered with Yoko Advans, and they seem to make more noise than necessary. Not to mention that I hear every little rock bouncing around inside the wheel wells.
Old 05-05-2017, 12:12 AM
mmaturo
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I plugged it using the description in one of the links with pipe insulation. Quick and easy and well worth it to me. Drone was getting to me, non PSE. My car is loud period. there is not much sound deadening on these things. My R8 is stripped down as a GT and it is quieter somehow. I use waze and I can barely hear the voice at speed in the 911 but I can hear it ok in my R8 and it is outright yelling at me in our Q7. Road noise comes through. Pirellis from new were terrible, just switched to Michelin PS2s and it is a little better. Amen on every pebble.
Old 05-05-2017, 12:21 AM
Crester
Pro

Received 68 Likes on 41 Posts

Not really helpful, but thanks anyway
He gave you good advice... it's a PORSCHE... try driving above 2,000rpm.
Old 06-07-2017, 01:19 PM
henryeng
Advanced

Received 22 Likes on 9 Posts

I just installed Michelin Pilot Sport 4S tires on my 2015 911; somewhat quieter, less tire roar, especially on noisy concrete freeways.
Old 06-07-2017, 01:28 PM
Dan Nagy
Rennlist Member

Received 2,219 Likes on 1,117 Posts

Originally Posted by henryeng
I just installed Michelin Pilot Sport 4S tires on my 2015 911; somewhat quieter, less tire roar, especially on noisy concrete freeways.
I changed out my Goodyears for Michelins at 3,000 miles for handling and road noise reasons. It hurts a little to be exchanging new tires for new tires, but it was worth it to me.
Old 06-07-2017, 01:32 PM
R_Rated
Banned

Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts

I'm used to driving inline 6's in BMWs and listening more to the engine smoothly wind up than the exhaust drone and growl. I guess that is the difference between a sports sedan and a sports car. I'll get used to it. Otherwise, drives fantastically.
BMW 3 series is a "sporty" car. Not a Sports car. The new ones are good appliances but BMW has lost their way. Audi is killing them now in terms of sportiness in the small sedan segment. Actually - VW is too if you want a fun driving experience via GTI/GLI and half the money.
Old 06-07-2017, 02:32 PM
TimboCarrera
Racer

Received 53 Likes on 41 Posts

Could it be the road surface that you frequently drive. I have on rare occasion driven on roads I find painful to the ears. I've only had the .2 a few weeks however. (3000 miles)

Quick Reply: 991.2 Symposer Tube Disconnect