Sponsored by:

Heel-toe downshift into 1st?

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2017, 10:53 AM
Jabs1542
Rennlist Member

Received 143 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
on the street heel and toe is difficult because you are typically not on the brakes that hard.

At the track, when you are on the brakes full on, you realize the height of the gas pedal is good for heel and toe.
Agree 100%
Old 05-02-2017, 11:11 AM
911boy
Three Wheelin'

Received 137 Likes on 108 Posts

I just match revs around the city and rarely shift down to first until stopped....no reason really. H&T is much easier when braking with urgency IMO too. SOOOO much fun.
Old 05-02-2017, 11:12 AM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,607 Likes on 1,620 Posts

I find it fairly intuitive to heel / toe on my C2S. But the blip into second is hard for me to get enough throttle. Going to try the adjustable pedals from Rennline.

I have size 13's and duck feet so that makes it tougher.
Old 05-02-2017, 11:36 AM
Rambler_13
Burning Brakes

Received 91 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by maxpowers
https://youtu.be/I77ualn0s0E?t=250

When my dad taught me to drive he said he never downshifted into 1st because he didn't have a synchronized 1st gear and I've kind of continued the habit of only shifting into 1st when stopped.

I was watching Tiff and at 4:10 he says with the tall gear ratios it's sometimes necessary to downshift into 1st to get some punch coming out of a corner.

Would you heel-toe downshift into 1st driving around town?
It's so funny that you just watched this. I just watched this last week (even though it's a few years old now) and literally had the same question afterwards about down shifting into first. I even started searching about it afterwards because I was always of the school of thought to only do so when fully stopped.
Old 05-02-2017, 12:25 PM
Rambler_13
Burning Brakes

delete
Old 05-02-2017, 12:32 PM
GregD
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

It wouldn't be an issue if our manual gears weren't so damn long... I can see why Tiff would, it's perfectly fine if you rev match it (he would) and need all the power off a slow corner (with a little drifting on top, I'm sure, knowing Tiffany) where the car would otherwise bog down in 2nd.

Thing is, *we* don't drive like that on open roads, and on racetracks there are no 1st gear corners either, so it's just not a scenario that would present itself for us (unless you are hillclimbing). Per se there's nothing wrong with it, it's a gear like all others, a tad shorter but usable. I used to downshift in to 1st all the time in my old 83 SC a) when coming to a stop because that made shifting into first easier than waiting till the car was stopped....and b) before a hairpin because the SC would choke under 2000 rpm.

Side note, if our cars had normal shorter ratios they'd be a twice as fun to drive. It's my biggest beef with the last few gens of 911s honestly... they're geared for 190 mph, who does that anymore ? Gear them to 150 and we all get 0.5 sec 06-60 improvement and everyday fun ! I used to own an S4 which should not take off like it did, but was a 0-40 king because its first 3 gears were so short (too short for a manual in fact, but it was DSG). That car was so much fun 90% because of those short gears down low maximized acceleration like you would not believe... Tesla style...
The following users liked this post:
PatrickBateman (10-09-2022)
Old 05-02-2017, 01:09 PM
maxpowers
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Rambler_13
It's so funny that you just watched this. I just watched this last week (even though it's a few years old now) and literally had the same question afterwards about down shifting into first. I even started searching about it afterwards because I was always of the school of thought to only do so when fully stopped.
That is pretty funny.

There's a few places around town where there the turn is 90 degrees and you almost come to a stop before making the turn and then there is a long straight away after. Obviously I'm not going to floor it for too long, but I thought it would be fun if I could heel-toe into first for the practice and then give it some gas right after the turn.

When I drove on the track I was in 2nd or 3rd the whole time. That being said, it would be nice if the gearing was shorter when doing normal driving.
Old 05-02-2017, 03:20 PM
Code
Three Wheelin'

Received 51 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by subshooter
Funny.....Chris Harris disagrees with you. Perhaps you have heard of him?

See 8:05. he specifically addresses this point.

"the brake pedal Porsche! What is about having the brake too high relative to the throttle? I just don't get it. Heeling and toeing in this car is not easy......these pedals show some negligence in that area"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gk-6s-ZhlYs
Chris is right! I have big feet, so using my heel to blip the gas is way awkward because my heel hits the floor most of the time, so I have to blip by rolling my ankle and using the side of my foot. Since the gas pedal is lower than the brake it is difficult for me to do effectively.
Old 05-02-2017, 03:46 PM
Rambler_13
Burning Brakes

Turn 4 at Thompson Speedway, one of our local tracks, could possibly be a 1st gear turn but I've only gone down to 2nd through it. I bet in some autoXs, 1st gear could be used as well.

Quick Reply: Heel-toe downshift into 1st?