Sponsored by:

Tire work

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2017, 07:55 PM
char911
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tire work

My 991 front tires are about to go bald and for some pleasant surprise I got a new pair from the dealer (not Porsche dealer) when I purchased the car a couple of years back. Should I bring them to the Porsche dealer to replace the tires or it's just fine to do that in places like Discount Tires? I always get tire work done in local tire shops and never in the dealer for other cars I owned before.
Old 04-29-2017, 08:12 PM
zx5go
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Make sure wherever you choose does not have fine print stating they are not liable for damage to the wheel or wheel sensors.
Old 04-29-2017, 08:14 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,388 Likes on 2,509 Posts

Use Tire Rack's web site to identify a recommended installer.
Old 04-29-2017, 10:10 PM
OKB
Three Wheelin'

Received 52 Likes on 40 Posts

ask around town for the best custom wheel shop
Old 04-29-2017, 10:30 PM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Received 664 Likes on 357 Posts

In Austin it just doesn't cost that much more to use the local dealership for mounting and balancing. I don't know about your area but I imagine in general most Porsche dealerships do high quality work. I buy the tires from Tire Rack and they have no problem with mounting them for me.

The advantage of this dealership is they remove the old wheel weights cleanly with no damage or residue left behind, they use top quality wheel weights and place them neatly, they have the best mounting equipment, and they use a top-of-the-line Hunter road force balancer. I have no problem paying $50/wheel for that.

Many places don't even know how to lift a Porsche at the proper lift points. I was at Discount Tire getting new tires on my old pickup truck and there was a 991 in the shop near the viewing window being lifted entirely incorrectly. They had it lifted using some long continuous rubberized padded support along the entire length of the bottom of the rocker panel area between the wheels; not the jack points. It made me wince.
Old 04-30-2017, 11:09 AM
Dbull65
Racer

Received 35 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by StormRune
In Austin it just doesn't cost that much more to use the local dealership for mounting and balancing. I don't know about your area but I imagine in general most Porsche dealerships do high quality work. I buy the tires from Tire Rack and they have no problem with mounting them for me.

The advantage of this dealership is they remove the old wheel weights cleanly with no damage or residue left behind, they use top quality wheel weights and place them neatly, they have the best mounting equipment, and they use a top-of-the-line Hunter road force balancer. I have no problem paying $50/wheel for that.

Many places don't even know how to lift a Porsche at the proper lift points. I was at Discount Tire getting new tires on my old pickup truck and there was a 991 in the shop near the viewing window being lifted entirely incorrectly. They had it lifted using some long continuous rubberized padded support along the entire length of the bottom of the rocker panel area between the wheels; not the jack points. It made me wince.
That is great that Porsche of Austin will mount tires not bought from them. Porsche of San Antonio will not and of course their tires are not cheap. Looks like when my tires need replacing, I will be heading to Austin.
Old 05-01-2017, 03:14 AM
char911
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks guys. I am going to go for the Porsche dealer as I really want to make sure it gets done right. Now let me reply back after it's done, hopefully not too expensive
Old 05-01-2017, 10:08 AM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Received 664 Likes on 357 Posts

Originally Posted by char911
Thanks guys. I am going to go for the Porsche dealer as I really want to make sure it gets done right. Now let me reply back after it's done, hopefully not too expensive
BTW, I have had success with negotiating with the dealer on some parts before, plus there is often a PCA discount if you are a member. Just call them armed with a competitive price for the tires from someone like Tire Rack and see if they will match or come to meet you part way. It can't hurt to ask. If you call instead of going in to do this, they may take it more seriously that you might just go somewhere else.
Old 05-02-2017, 06:16 PM
trucheli
Pro

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

Why would you go outside the dealer when you can get price matching on tires and the assurance that if they mess up your rims they will respond. Also, I would not trust any other place but the dealership to do an alignment. Even if I have to pay a couple of hundred dollars more I won't take any chances. I have learned the hard way.

Quick Reply: Tire work