Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SPASM: Does Sport Button Impact Suspension?

Old 04-28-2017, 03:52 PM
mrmojom3
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default SPASM: Does Sport Button Impact Suspension?

My car has SPASM. Suspension is a big rough for me in "normal" mode. I have found "comfort" settings via the forum that helped to take the edge off via reduced tire pressure.

My question is: if I hit the sport or sport plus buttons I'm clear that it changes the throttle mapping and trans mapping with PDK. However I've read it will tighten up the suspension a bit. While I have been riding around in sport and sport plus most of the time w suspension in "normal", I took a quick spin in non -sport / sport plus to see if it does make any impact to the suspension. I think I feel a slight difference or am I just imagining it? It was just a ride around the block.

I'll continue searching.... if anybody knows it would be helpful. Thanks!
Old 04-28-2017, 05:11 PM
GSIRM3
Drifting

Received 63 Likes on 38 Posts

Sport mode does not affect suspension. Sport Plus does make it stiffer.

Last edited by GSIRM3; 04-28-2017 at 07:58 PM.
Old 04-28-2017, 06:41 PM
CSK 911 C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 802 Likes on 400 Posts

Dynamic Engine Mounting (PADM)
On vehicles with Sport Chrono Plus package
Dynamic Engine Mounting with variable damping is a system designed to enhance both driving dynamics and driving comfort. Depending on the driving situation, the ideal mounting rigidity and damping is automatically set in the range between an rigid engine-to-body connection (increase in driving dynamics) and decoupling of the engine from the body (increase in driving comfort).

"Sport" mode
When "Sport" mode is switched on, a more rigid engine-to-body connection is achieved for a sporty driving style.

"Sport Plus" mode
When "Sport Plus" mode is switched on, an optimal engine-to-body connection is achieved for driving on race circuits.
Old 04-28-2017, 06:44 PM
Ski Porsche
Rennlist Member

Received 132 Likes on 73 Posts

I recently installed a DSC suspension module (had one on my .1 too) from TPC Racing. It gives a noticeably nicer ride in normal (it's still firm--it's a sports car after all) and automatically firms things up more than factory settings when cornering, braking and accelerating. In sport mode it's optimized for performance driving to a greater degree than the OEM set up. Google DSC module and check it out. The module is around $1,300 and takes 15-20 minutes to install (plug and play).
I have no connection with TPC other than as a satisfied customer.
Old 04-28-2017, 07:58 PM
stcole416
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If it's rough in normal mode I don't think any amount of tire pressure tinkering/ suspension settings will do the trick. You could change out the springs or try different tire/ wheel mods, etc.. but I doubt you'll want to invest that much. Did you drive both SPASM/ PASM before purchasing? It was REALLY obvious on my test drives.

I found that SPASM was significantly more firm than the PASM which is why I opted for the latter. While I like the look of SPASM, I don't track my car enough to make it a worthwhile option to check.
Old 04-28-2017, 09:18 PM
mrmojom3
Racer

Originally Posted by CSK 911 C4S
Dynamic Engine Mounting (PADM)
On vehicles with Sport Chrono Plus package
Dynamic Engine Mounting with variable damping is a system designed to enhance both driving dynamics and driving comfort. Depending on the driving situation, the ideal mounting rigidity and damping is automatically set in the range between an rigid engine-to-body connection (increase in driving dynamics) and decoupling of the engine from the body (increase in driving comfort).

"Sport" mode
When "Sport" mode is switched on, a more rigid engine-to-body connection is achieved for a sporty driving style.

"Sport Plus" mode
When "Sport Plus" mode is switched on, an optimal engine-to-body connection is achieved for driving on race circuits.
Thanks for the info. The conclusion I would draw is that by selecting sport / sport plus it will stiffen things up. Its slight, but I do sense a difference.
Old 04-28-2017, 09:19 PM
mrmojom3
Racer

Originally Posted by Ski Porsche
I recently installed a DSC suspension module (had one on my .1 too) from TPC Racing. It gives a noticeably nicer ride in normal (it's still firm--it's a sports car after all) and automatically firms things up more than factory settings when cornering, braking and accelerating. In sport mode it's optimized for performance driving to a greater degree than the OEM set up. Google DSC module and check it out. The module is around $1,300 and takes 15-20 minutes to install (plug and play).
I have no connection with TPC other than as a satisfied customer.
Yup, I have one on order already! Buts its a 3 week back log

Trending Topics

Old 04-29-2017, 04:44 PM
kayjh
Drifting

Received 679 Likes on 474 Posts

Originally Posted by mrmojom3
Thanks for the info. The conclusion I would draw is that by selecting sport / sport plus it will stiffen things up. Its slight, but I do sense a difference.
Isn't CSK911's post just talking about the engine mounts? When stiffened, you'll get a stiffer body structure (not suspension) as the engine forms part of the frame structure, resulting in less flex, but more vibration from the engine.

My SA told me that SPASM have shorter, stiffer springs which results in a. stiffer ride. While a relaxed damper might soften the ride a bit, he says that the shorter, stiffer springs with SPASM is the part that results in a. stiffer ride.
Old 04-29-2017, 08:26 PM
GSIRM3
Drifting

Originally Posted by kayjh
Isn't CSK911's post just talking about the engine mounts? When stiffened, you'll get a stiffer body structure (not suspension) as the engine forms part of the frame structure, resulting in less flex, but more vibration from the engine.

My SA told me that SPASM have shorter, stiffer springs which results in a. stiffer ride. While a relaxed damper might soften the ride a bit, he says that the shorter, stiffer springs with SPASM is the part that results in a. stiffer ride.
That's what I thought also. OP seemed to be asking if sport or sport plus affected suspension, not engine mounts.
Old 04-29-2017, 08:40 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,857 Likes on 1,901 Posts

The sport button does nothing to the suspension. I can't recall if Sport Plus puts the suspension into sport mode, but there's an easy was to find out. Press your sport plus button and see if the light on the suspension button comes on. If it does, it's putting the car into sport suspension mode. If not, it's staying in comfort mode. I haven't put my car into sport plus in a while, so I can't remember.
Old 04-30-2017, 08:53 AM
GSIRM3
Drifting

Originally Posted by Archimedes
The sport button does nothing to the suspension. I can't recall if Sport Plus puts the suspension into sport mode, but there's an easy was to find out. Press your sport plus button and see if the light on the suspension button comes on. If it does, it's putting the car into sport suspension mode. If not, it's staying in comfort mode. I haven't put my car into sport plus in a while, so I can't remember.
Sport Plus does put suspension in sport mode.
Old 04-30-2017, 09:20 AM
kayjh
Drifting

Received 679 Likes on 474 Posts

My car has SPASM. Suspension is a big rough for me in "normal" mode. I have found "comfort" settings via the forum that helped to take the edge off via reduced tire pressure.

My question is: if I hit the sport or sport plus buttons I'm clear that it changes the throttle mapping and trans mapping with PDK. However I've read it will tighten up the suspension a bit. While I have been riding around in sport and sport plus most of the time w suspension in "normal", I took a quick spin in non -sport / sport plus to see if it does make any impact to the suspension. I think I feel a slight difference or am I just imagining it? It was just a ride around the block.

I'll continue searching.... if anybody knows it would be helpful. Thanks!
What year is your car? If it is 2017+ and has Sport Chrono, setting to "Sport" does not affect the dampers (it does stiffen the engine mounts), selecting "Sport Plus" stiffens the damper. So, if 2017+, yes you were just imagining it when switching to "Sport".
Old 04-30-2017, 09:55 AM
991carreradriver
Rennlist Member

Received 426 Likes on 239 Posts

Yup, I have one on order already! Buts its a 3 week back log
Just a heads up - With the DSC installed the sport plus switch will not activate the sport suspension any longer. The suspension switch must be independently depressed to activate and deactivate, where as on the stock setup it will activate/deactivate with the sport plus switch.
Old 04-30-2017, 11:56 AM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,114 Likes on 665 Posts

Originally Posted by 991carreradriver
Just a heads up - With the DSC installed the sport plus switch will not activate the sport suspension any longer. The suspension switch must be independently depressed to activate and deactivate, where as on the stock setup it will activate/deactivate with the sport plus switch.
Interesting. Is this because the DSC "takes over" with its mapped sequence in sports plus? Also, what happens when you press the sport suspension? Does the Porsche program take over or does it somehow work in conjunction with DSC?
Old 04-30-2017, 08:56 PM
asia
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

I think I feel a slight difference or am I just imagining it? It was just a ride around the block.
The 991.2 Manual (page 207) seems to imply that for both Normal and Sport button settings, PASM shock settings are adjusted more for sport or more for comfort depending on the driving situation. Is a ride around the block enough to expose the differences?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: SPASM: Does Sport Button Impact Suspension?