Received 196 Likes on 131 Posts

She loves it. And more careful than me.
Attached Images  
Old 04-28-2017, 02:16 PM
Al.Fresco
Three Wheelin'

Received 332 Likes on 190 Posts

Originally Posted by john weires
I did not have kids so I never experienced my teenager's first drive on their own, but now I have an idea of the associated anxiety. Watching my wife back out of the garage I felt helpless. Hopefully she will stay away from curbs, speed bumps and steep driveway inclines and return both herself and the car safely, and have a good time in the process.

How many of the guys here let their girlfriend or wife drive their Porsche? Do they look forward to it or is it just another car?

I will report mishaps, if any, when she returns later tonight.
John....did she ever come home???
Old 04-28-2017, 02:49 PM
R_Rated
Banned

Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by The Fat Kid
My wife is attractive, smart, can cook well, etc, but would not be comfortable taking the 911 out on her own.

Unfortunately, she suffers from a debilitating condition known as "Drving While Asian".

Symptoms include, but are not limited to: Inability to parallel park; confusion when backing up; difficulties gauging speed of on-coming traffic; getting lost less than a mile from home.
LOL - I got banned for 3 days one time for alluding to a stereotype about female asian drivers...
Old 04-28-2017, 03:01 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,620 Likes on 1,628 Posts

Originally Posted by subshooter
My wife can't drive a manual so I don't worry about these things.....lol
Mine is a manual. I have been re-teaching my wife to drive it (she last drove a manual about 25 years ago).

I can't wait until she drives it. She's so nervous to be learning on it. She's great. I keep telling her it's just a car, and that I didn't pay any more for it (used) than we did for her Cayenne (new). But she knows how much I love it.

Gotta love a wife who gets it.
Old 04-28-2017, 03:13 PM
The Fat Kid
Pro

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by R_Rated
LOL - I got banned for 3 days one time for alluding to a stereotype about female asian drivers...
I was not alluding to all female Asian drivers (plural), just my wife.

The symptoms I described are all VERY real. We had to switch seats once in rush-hour traffic because she freaked out about parallel parking
Old 04-28-2017, 03:23 PM
rebelceb
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My fiancé drives the 911 often. I have a company vehicle as a daily, and work from home so the Porsche stays in the garage unless I get some free time to run errands in the afternoon, take it for dinner in the evenings, or get out and about on weekends. Occasionally she will wake me up when leaving for work and say "I'm taking the Porsche today"...no problem! It's the reason I got the PDK, for her to enjoy it also! She drive's it well, I must say! She doesn't have a super long commute, and works in a small office where only a few other cars park during the day, so no concerns there either.

Just last week, it needed service and some other stuff, and she just happened to be going to New Orleans (3ish hr drive) for work for the week so she drove it down there for me. Dropped it off for service, got a loaner Macan S, then picked it up on Friday and drove it back home.

It's an expensive car, but it's still just a car and is meant to be driven and enjoyed! I'm a firm believer in that!
Old 04-28-2017, 04:11 PM
skiahh
Rennlist Member

Received 132 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by stealthboy
Need some creative solutions for a manual to learn on.
Just buy an old beater car with a manual. Or a pickup; teaches size awareness as well as the stick.

Originally Posted by R_Rated
My wife drove without me once... sister in law was in town and she wanted to drive around the city with her to show her the sights. Got the first scrape to sport chin spoiler and first curb rash. I'm not even a wide body but the car is still wider out back than most are used to.

she is still the better spouse but no more drives. She has a first gen Nissan Rogue when we met.... no appreciation for cars and thinks they're all just appliances .
Oh hell, I dabbed my chin spoiler within a month of getting the Boxster. It's a low car and it happens. If that's your reason for standing up tall and telling her she's not worthy of driving your car, I have to wonder if you've ever dabbed your chin spoiler or other minor things like that and, if so, do you take away your own driving privileges?

Originally Posted by The Fat Kid
My wife is attractive, smart, can cook well, etc, but would not be comfortable taking the 911 out on her own.
Not going to comment on the whole DWA deal, but if she's not comfortable and makes her own choice not to drive it, that's a whole different thing than you not being comfortable and not letting her do something. My wife isn't really comfortable with driving the pickup, so she doesn't. But she has her own set of keys to it and can at any time.
Old 04-28-2017, 06:44 PM
PJ Cayenne
Rennlist Member

Received 304 Likes on 183 Posts

Originally Posted by stealthboy
My wife can't drive manual so she's never driven my 911, but that's why we got her the Macan S with PDK.

I've been meaning to teach her one of these days, but you can't rent manual transmission cars anymore! Need some creative solutions for a manual to learn on.
I will be in Europe with the wife in a week. We have two manual transmission cars rented...guess who is going to get a lesson or two?
Old 04-28-2017, 06:47 PM
The Fat Kid
Pro

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by skiahh
Just buy an old beater car with a manual. Or a pickup; teaches size awareness as well as the stick.

Oh hell, I dabbed my chin spoiler within a month of getting the Boxster. It's a low car and it happens. If that's your reason for standing up tall and telling her she's not worthy of driving your car, I have to wonder if you've ever dabbed your chin spoiler or other minor things like that and, if so, do you take away your own driving privileges?

Not going to comment on the whole DWA deal, but if she's not comfortable and makes her own choice not to drive it, that's a whole different thing than you not being comfortable and not letting her do something. My wife isn't really comfortable with driving the pickup, so she doesn't. But she has her own set of keys to it and can at any time.
I made her drive it when we bought it in the fall; she loved it, but that was on a quiet road in the suburbs. We live in an urban-ish area just outside of Boston, so it can be treacherous between crazy drivers, bicyclists, and potholes.

She would still prefer a "cute" Macan over a 911 if we lived in the 'burbs.
Old 04-28-2017, 10:09 PM
Izzone
Nordschleife Master

Received 293 Likes on 148 Posts

My wife daily drives ours....it's just a car

I much prefer a rover, tried to drive it daily and wasn't for me
Old 04-28-2017, 11:47 PM
john weires
Pro

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Yes, my wife made it home, undamaged, but over an hour late........She was taking friends for a ride! So she loves the car and is now pretty comfortable driving it. This bodes well for future Porsche purchases!
Old 04-29-2017, 12:31 AM
ieatfishburritos
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Great news and thread John!
Old 04-29-2017, 12:55 AM
Ira Blumberg
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

We don't have the P car yet. Hopefully we take delivery June 15 at PEC. My wife and I will be splitting the driving class.

Before ordering, I insisted that my wife take a test drive. This is based on the fact that I previously purchased a Nissan GT-R without consulting the wife. She has never forgiven me and to this day reminds me how much she hated that car.

I was out of town when my wife tested the C4S. I was very nervous about her reaction. However, she emailed me a one sentence summary which read "best car I ever drove." Now I believe we will be arm wrestling over who gets to drive the P car.

By contrast, our other car is a gen 2 Volt. It is a fun car, but is the opposite of the P car. The fun in the Volt is based on maximizing electric mileage and driving with the greatest possible efficiency without annoying other drivers to the point of homicidal rage.

My wife does have a bad track record for curb rash, but I am not without sin in this regard myself, so I think we will just have to budget for wheel repair / replacement ;-)

Cheers
Old 04-30-2017, 01:48 AM
X51
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

Been married 33 years. Cars were appliances when we got married, and over time she has come to love my passion for sports cars and indulges my hobby. She's a breast cancer survivor, so after her surgery and on the road to the "new normal", I bought her a 2009 Boxster S. She was like a little girl at Christmas. She takes just as good care of it as I do my 911. She can drive my '13 PDK, but doesn't. She says it "makes her nervous" because it's bigger, louder and faster! No complaints from me. She is a club member, participates in all our events and attends Parade and other events with me.
Old 04-30-2017, 02:58 AM
mdrobc1213
Rennlist Member

Received 856 Likes on 469 Posts

Been married 18 yrs now and can think of a few times my wife has driven one of my 911's. Not that she can't as her 1st car was a stick/manual but honestly she knows I am a "car guy" and how much time and effort I put into them that she's scared someone might hit her/it or mess up the car while in her car. She drives well but a bit slower than I do and has map reading/nav trouble which I do not...and her common saying is the speed limit is only 55-65 mph so doesn't matter what the car CAN do now does it. LOL

But I don't hide the keys from her or look at her with shock if she mentions driving anything in the garage. Key are on the hook on the wall for each vehicle we own to include the Porsche and my Harley and not scared she'd take either of them...just know she perfers not to and drives her own Porsche (2016 Cayenne). But yeah otherwise rule in the family is whoever can may buy and drive whatever they want!

Now my 17 1/2 yr old son..hell naw! He's driven everything BUT my Cayman S and now my 991.1. Even drove him to the prom this past month! Let him drive my F82 M3 for a bit but still with those...needs more experience and a bit more driving maturity before I let him play with the big toys...oh and a job to pay for repairs too!

Quick Reply: Wife's 1st drive ever in 911S alone!