Rear head restraints

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2017, 06:02 AM
docswede
AutoX

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Rear head restraints

Hi everyone,
New to the forum, Just got myself a 2013 C2S, have 7 year old twins. I had booster seats in my previous car but they won't fit in the 911 so I use the bubble bum boosters but noticed that the kids heads were at a height beyond the upper limit of the car seat back. Am considering getting maxi cosi rodifix for them but before doing that, has anyone tried to make rear head restraints for the rear seats? Might be able to make a board with a cushion or something like that and install it behind the seats. Any thoughts?

Thanks
Alex
Old 04-25-2017, 07:49 AM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,388 Likes on 2,509 Posts

Alex, you do realize the 991 has an automatic head restraint rollover protection system? I'm not sure what you are considering is necessary.
Old 04-25-2017, 09:26 AM
Hurricane
Race Car

Received 653 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by LexVan
Alex, you do realize the 991 has an automatic head restraint rollover protection system? I'm not sure what you are considering is necessary.
Not sure what you mean?
Old 04-25-2017, 09:31 AM
LexVan
Banned

Originally Posted by Hurricane
Not sure what you mean?
Not sure what you're asking?
Old 04-25-2017, 09:36 AM
Hurricane
Race Car

Not sure what you're asking?
Okay, what do you mean by automatic head restraint rollover protection system? What does it do? Just curious - I am not sure what you mean.

Does it prevent whiplash in the event of an accident like rear head restraints would?
Old 04-25-2017, 09:42 AM
LexVan
Banned

Okay, what do you mean by automatic head restraint rollover protection system? What does it do? Just curious - I am not sure what you mean.

Does it prevent whiplash in the event of an accident like rear head restraints would?
Hi Hurricane:

See pictures here:

https://rennlist.com/forums/991/9326...ded-today.html

The OP's twins may just be tall enough that they don't even require a booster seat. In CA, I think the cut-off is under age 8.......so they may be close.
Old 04-25-2017, 09:48 AM
Hurricane
Race Car

Hi Hurricane:

See pictures here:

https://rennlist.com/forums/991/9326...ded-today.html

The OP's twins may just be tall enough that they don't even require a booster seat. In CA, I think the cut-off is under age 8.......so they may be close.
I know about that system - that is for roll over, not if you are rear-ended (although in your example it looks like it deployed in a rear-end collision). And that system is exclusive to the cabriolet and not on the coupe.

I thought you were talking about a head restraint system. You know, something that would prevent head from snapping back in the event of an accident (like the front seats are designed to do). I was sincerely curious if there was some other feature that I wasn't aware of.

The OP has a fair concern, one that I think about as my kids grow older, too. There are no head restraints in the rear seats of the 911, unfortunately. And this is a problem for adults as well as larger children. (I do carry small adults in the back seat from time to time.)
Old 04-25-2017, 09:54 AM
LexVan
Banned

I know about that system - that is for roll over, not if you are rear-ended. And that system is exclusive to the cabriolet and not on the coupe.
The link I posted is a car that was rear-ended.....no rollover. FYI.
Old 04-25-2017, 10:08 AM
Hurricane
Race Car

I know about that system - that is for roll over, not if you are rear-ended (although in your example it looks like it deployed in a rear-end collision).
The link I posted is a car that was rear-ended.....no rollover. FYI.
Yes, I indicated that in my post. However, it was designed to be deployed during a rollover and not to protect the motion of your head from a rear end collision. The Porsche owners manual specifies that they will deploy if a rollover event is detected. I would hardly expect every rear end collision to result in the deployment of the rollover protection. In that case, they deployed, but how many rear ended cabs have not had them deploy?

And it is not available on the coupe.
Old 04-25-2017, 10:17 AM
Hurricane
Race Car

I'm not trying to start an argument - I would love it if the rollover protection was designed to provide rear restraint protection also, particularly in rear end collisions. I just am not finding anything that would suggest that. Like putting in a roll bar, sure there might be some structural protection to the passenger space but that isn't the same thing as a seat with proper seat belts and head restraints.

Old 04-25-2017, 10:49 AM
Jenner
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

If the belts fits your twins right without the booster then go without it. The point of the booster is to make the belts align on their hips and shoulders correctly but it is just as important their head be below the back of the seat back for whiplash. If the booster puts them above the seat back when the belts fit right then this is actually making them LESS safe.

If the belts DON'T fit right without the booster (I would be surprised if this is the case from my own experience) then get this:

Amazon Amazon

I have a 43lb 6 year old. Fits in the rear bucket PERFECTLY with no booster. With booster she's too high. CT law is 6 years old AND 60lbs. Mine is not 60lbs but I would rather her be safe and explain/show the officer she is better off without the booster and/or pay the fine if it comes to that. Every kid and car is shaped different. The law cannot account for every combination.
Old 04-25-2017, 11:14 AM
kayjh
Drifting

Received 684 Likes on 478 Posts

Originally Posted by Jenner
If the belts fits your twins right without the booster then go without it. The point of the booster is to make the belts align on their hips and shoulders correctly but it is just as important their head be below the back of the seat back for whiplash. If the booster puts them above the seat back when the belts fit right then this is actually making them LESS safe.

If the belts DON'T fit right without the booster (I would be surprised if this is the case from my own experience) then get this:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004LE8ZLW

I have a 43lb 6 year old. Fits in the rear bucket PERFECTLY with no booster. With booster she's too high. CT law is 6 years old AND 60lbs. Mine is not 60lbs but I would rather her be safe and explain/show the officer she is better off without the booster and/or pay the fine if it comes to that. Every kid and car is shaped different. The law cannot account for every combination.
If the product you referenced works the way I think it does (3 snaps along the top line to change the direction of the shoulder strap), I think it would be dangerous in an accident. The shoulder strap would immediately come under tension and straighten out, opening the 3 top snaps and crossing the child at the neck - which would be disastrous in an accident.

My 7 and 10 year old are short and while I fit my son (7) in a booster last fall, I more recently had a look at that picture to see where his head is at. In the picture, his head would rest against the seat back and my 4'2" daughter would also rest against the seat back. I'll need some sort of booster with a seat car as they grow older. In 2 years my daughter can move to a front seat, but my then taller boy will need some sort of neck support.

I guess I was more concerned about leg room and didn't consider the neck issue.
Old 04-25-2017, 11:22 AM
Jenner
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by kayjh
If the product you referenced works the way I think it does (3 snaps along the top line to change the direction of the shoulder strap), I think it would be dangerous in an accident. The shoulder strap would immediately come under tension and straighten out, opening the 3 top snaps and crossing the child at the neck - which would be disastrous in an accident.
No. It does not work like you think. The snaps are there just to provide easier access to thread the belt buckle through. It is fully sewn together.

Also: This product has been crash tested in accordance with Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards
Old 04-25-2017, 01:33 PM
docswede
AutoX

Thanks for the replies everyone. The issue here as many pointed out is the whiplash problem if you're rear ended. I have a coupe so I don't have the roll over thing anyway.
Jenner, thanks for the link, I'll try that and see how it works but the problem will come back as they grow taller.
Going back to my question, has anyone thought about a board of some sort with a cushion or a head rest from another car that could be installed behind the rear seat? I would think it should be possible.
Old 04-25-2017, 01:49 PM
docswede
AutoX

This picture is from a VW van in which the guy installed these headrests in the rear but obviously in our 911's, it should be done much nicer with smaller headrests that goes well with the interior.

Quick Reply: Rear head restraints