Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Door rattle: on the dealer or on me ?

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2017, 07:06 PM
GregD
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Door rattle: on the dealer or on me ?

I'm post warranty, but the dealer just replaced my warping door panels (with a large contribution from Porsche, but I still paid good $). Since the replacement my driver door rattles over bumps... definitely a new thing.

Am I right that the dealer work is under warranty for a couple years and I should take this back to be re-done, or am I better off looking at his myself ? sounds like rattling glass or metal - I can reproduce by hitting the underside of the open door with the palm of my hands... not hard...

I've taken door panels out a lot, not worried, but the dealer techs might have way more experience re: where this thing usually rattles.
Old 04-17-2017, 07:12 PM
R_Rated
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by GregD
I'm post warranty, but the dealer just replaced my warping door panels (with a large contribution from Porsche, but I still paid good $). Since the replacement my driver door rattles over bumps... definitely a new thing.

Am I right that the dealer work is under warranty for a couple years and I should take this back to be re-done, or am I better off looking at his myself ? sounds like rattling glass or metal - I can reproduce by hitting the underside of the open door with the palm of my hands... not hard...

I've taken door panels out a lot, not worried, but the dealer techs might have way more experience re: where this thing usually rattles.
Should be covered under labor warranty. Won't be covered under new car. Likely if it had been installed with more attention to detail the rattles would not be there.
Old 04-17-2017, 11:15 PM
plenum
Burning Brakes

Received 54 Likes on 36 Posts

Agree with R_Rated -- should be under labor warranty and if nothing else good-will on the part of the dealer service manager. There are specific procedures that the factory publishes for detecting and remediation of sounds like squeaks and rattles. Also, from what you describe it may just be as simple as a screw or other bit got dropped down into the space between panel and sub-frame on the door. Quick fix in that case.

Quick Reply: Door rattle: on the dealer or on me ?