Sponsored by:

PASM sport suspension question

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2017, 01:39 PM
siitech
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 3 Posts
Default PASM sport suspension question

Is SPASM just a regular PASM suspension with lowering Springs, or is it more than that?
Old 04-14-2017, 02:18 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,443 Likes on 2,250 Posts
Default Paging the STG....

as I recall there is another thread elsewhere that goes into the details, but to the best of my recollection its (at least) springs, ARBs/sway bars, and I cant
recall if there are different PASM controller and sensors or not...
Old 04-14-2017, 02:54 PM
OKB
Three Wheelin'

Received 52 Likes on 40 Posts

it should say in the porsche 991 car builder , at the spasm option, theres an i and it gives the information
Old 04-14-2017, 04:08 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,858 Likes on 1,902 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
as I recall there is another thread elsewhere that goes into the details, but to the best of my recollection its (at least) springs, ARBs/sway bars, and I cant
recall if there are different PASM controller and sensors or not...
My recollection was that the PASM controller was different, but I'm not certain of that. Someone should compare part numbers.
Old 04-14-2017, 05:45 PM
siitech
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by OKB
it should say in the Porsche 991 car builder , at the spasm option, theres an i and it gives the information
This is what I got from the 991.2S configurator:

"Electronically variable active damping system with two manually selectable modes 'Normal' and 'Sport'; ride height is 20 mm lower (10 mm lower than 911 Carrera with standard PASM). Aerodynamically adapted front spoiler lip and higher rear spoiler extension for downforce-oriented aerodynamic performance"

It does not really tell us much as to what are the different parts used for the sport suspension.

I am mostly interested in finding out for 991.1 model, comparing the sport suspension to the standard PASM, besides the lowering spring, are there any other differences? The reason I asked is becuase I am looking to find a used 991.1S without SPASM, because I am over 60 and I do not want to find a 911 with even lower ride height to climb out of, and I prefer a more praticle and comfortable ride too. However, I found a 2015 S with the right options and color for me, just that it has the SPASM, wondering in case I purchase it and do not want to live with the sport suspension, can I purchase and install regular springs and make it ride like a regular PASM 991 without too much hassle?
Old 04-14-2017, 05:58 PM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Received 664 Likes on 357 Posts

The SPASM also includes a stiffer sway bar with a slightly larger diameter. The stiffness of the SPASM in normal driving is improved in cars that also have PDCC, as the hydraulic coupling at the end of the sway bar stays more relaxed in normal straight-ahead driving than without on cars without PDCC. For me in central Texas at an age of 59, I find the SPASM/PDCC combo quite acceptable but our roads might be a bit smoother than those in more northern climates... but then again I've had a lot of fairly stiff riding cars/sport-bikes over the years so maybe my tolerance is higher than most. (My 2001 M3 was horridly stiff though!)
Old 04-14-2017, 06:46 PM
siitech
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by StormRune
The SPASM also includes a stiffer sway bar with a slightly larger diameter. The stiffness of the SPASM in normal driving is improved in cars that also have PDCC, as the hydraulic coupling at the end of the sway bar stays more relaxed in normal straight-ahead driving than without on cars without PDCC. For me in central Texas at an age of 59, I find the SPASM/PDCC combo quite acceptable but our roads might be a bit smoother than those in more northern climates... but then again I've had a lot of fairly stiff riding cars/sport-bikes over the years so maybe my tolerance is higher than most. (My 2001 M3 was horridly stiff though!)
Thank you for your input.

I test drove a 991.1S with SPASM, in the short drive it seemed to ride better than my current base 991.1 without PASM, so ride comfort of the SPASM is a consideration but probably should not be a deciding factor for me. Good to know that you found the ride---especially with PDCC---quite acceptable.

I do prefer sitting higher for getting inside and out of car, and a bit more ground clearance for day in day out driving inside city, I noticed I need to pay special attention going in and out of gas stations, parking garages, etc., I have to be real careful not to scrape the front air dam even with my current car which is like 20mm taller than a SPASM equipped 911. Anyway, still interested in finding out if switching springs is a good or bad idea.
Old 04-14-2017, 08:16 PM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Received 309 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by siitech
Thank you for your input.

I test drove a 991.1S with SPASM, in the short drive it seemed to ride better than my current base 991.1 without PASM, so ride comfort of the SPASM is a consideration but probably should not be a deciding factor for me. Good to know that you found the ride---especially with PDCC---quite acceptable.

I do prefer sitting higher for getting inside and out of car, and a bit more ground clearance for day in day out driving inside city, I noticed I need to pay special attention going in and out of gas stations, parking garages, etc., I have to be real careful not to scrape the front air dam even with my current car which is like 20mm taller than a SPASM equipped 911. Anyway, still interested in finding out if switching springs is a good or bad idea.
I've had SPASM for 5 eyars (no PDCC). The springs are shorter and stiffer and the roll bar is stiffer than regular PASM. I had one major scrape - backing out of a driveway and learned enough to avoid any subsequent problem.

Lowering the center of gravity is always a good thing for handling. But you need to get advice from those who have done it about getting the stiffness and alignment right or the result could be poor handling and tire wear.

Quick Reply: PASM sport suspension question