Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

991.2 Base or 991.2 S or .......

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2017, 08:49 PM
Loft23
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm about to place my order for an '18 991.2 C2S. I hate how Porsche nickel and dime you on options that is standard on a Ford focus, but I'm biting the bullet and ignoring the "electrical" conveniences like "Entry & Drive", Lane change assistant, and 18-way seats to prioritize on performance and appearance of the car. Don't skimp out on performance if that's the reason why you are getting into Porsche. If you're doing it for luxury and status, there are so many other cars that will give you that + more bang for your money.

I'm going from a fully loaded F10 M5 Competition Pack and sacrificing luxury and convenience for a much smaller and nimble performer.
Old 04-07-2017, 09:34 PM
LehmanZ06
Pro

Received 104 Likes on 65 Posts

Another reason you might not want to go crazy on performance is if you want to keep the car long term remember......more options ptv, pdem, etc.....means more thing to break. After warranty is up you could be SOL.
Old 04-07-2017, 09:38 PM
kayjh
Drifting

Received 718 Likes on 499 Posts

Originally Posted by Loft23
I'm about to place my order for an '18 991.2 C2S. I hate how Porsche nickel and dime you on options that is standard on a Ford focus, but I'm biting the bullet and ignoring the "electrical" conveniences like "Entry & Drive", Lane change assistant, and 18-way seats to prioritize on performance and appearance of the car. Don't skimp out on performance if that's the reason why you are getting into Porsche. If you're doing it for luxury and status, there are so many other cars that will give you that + more bang for your money.

I'm going from a fully loaded F10 M5 Competition Pack and sacrificing luxury and convenience for a much smaller and nimble performer.
I'd think twice about deleting LCA. The outward visibility isn't the same as the F10.
Old 04-07-2017, 09:40 PM
rkwfxd
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 23 Posts

Thank you for all the replies and input.

Recapping (in my own words) it looks something like this...

You don't need an S so get what you want.
Get the S.
Get the S.
Get the S.

Get the GTS.
Get the TTS.
Get the S or GTS.
Get the S.

You'd be stupid to put S brakes on a Base (for my use).
Get the S.
Get the S.

Get the Base.
Get the S.
Drive them both.
Don't skimp on performance.

Anyone else see a pattern developing here? I'm thankful for this forum where I can bounce an idea (even a bad one) off of everyone and get some informed feedback.

Looks like I'll be ordering an S.

Or maybe MAYBE a GTS if I can get an allocation. GTS would be purely to feed my ego as the S would have more than enough performance to keep my adrenalin flowing.
Old 04-07-2017, 09:42 PM
rkwfxd
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by LehmanZ06
Another reason you might not want to go crazy on performance is if you want to keep the car long term remember......more options ptv, pdem, etc.....means more thing to break. After warranty is up you could be SOL.
Already decided NOT to get PDCC or RWS. Doubt I'll ever be fast enough to exploit those features, they cost more up front, they cost more to service forever, you are correct, although not a huge concern for me they are more complex for more things to go wrong.
Old 04-07-2017, 10:03 PM
PJ Cayenne
Rennlist Member

Received 304 Likes on 183 Posts

Originally Posted by rkwfxd
Already decided NOT to get PDCC or RWS. Doubt I'll ever be fast enough to exploit those features, they cost more up front, they cost more to service forever, you are correct, although not a huge concern for me they are more complex for more things to go wrong.
I took delivery of a slightly above Poverty Package base (104k msrp) last week. The one performance option I selected is the MT (I know, it's free), but I'll never regularly track this car,and never ever go fast enough on public roads to come anywhere near reaching this car's capability. Cost was an issue for me, I have another Porsche (Cayenne) and a nice winter SUV/train station car, so lots of other cars to support. Just love this 911 so far. If you liked your 991.1 base, you are going to love the 991.2.
Old 04-07-2017, 10:06 PM
cug
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rkwfxd
Looks like I'll be ordering an S.
I find it kind of weird that you consider the S because other people tell you so. You already consider the GTS to just stroke your ego, you consider PDCC and RWS too expensive and not worth it for the speeds you'll drive but you don't consider the massive price difference for a much more questionable improvement (compared to RWS) of the S vs. the base?

People buy Porsche cars to get performance. My personal bet is that 99.99% of all Porsche owners can't even fully exploit the performance of the base model 911 at anything but straight line acceleration, and if that's your goal, you should rather get a Tesla Model S P100D.

I considered the S for one reason only: rear wheel steering. And then I decided that it's ridonkulous to pay 16,000 USD for this. Sure, everybody should do whatever they want, but at least be open about the reasons.
Old 04-07-2017, 10:21 PM
dflowerz
Burning Brakes

Received 65 Likes on 41 Posts

I ticked all the performance boxes when I ordered my S and glad I did. The rear wheel steering allows the car to be more nimble feeling. Also allows better maneuvering in tight spaces. Worth it? To me it is. I also use full power at times. Not for very long, but it's great. I came close to spinning out last fall when I got the snap oversteer accelerating out of a curved onramp. Counter steering and PDCC got me going straight again, so guess I went over the limit. Live and learn. My first 911. But after a year I am really glad I checked all those boxes on my order. Can't deny that upkeep will cost more though. I come from a sport bike background, so while my S feels pretty fast, it accelerates much slower than some of the bikes I have owned. Just simple power to weight ratios. The 911 has a higher top speed, and from my experience can hold it's own in the twisties. So the S was going to be my choice for sure. The real turbo is out of my price range.
Old 04-07-2017, 10:56 PM
rkwfxd
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by cug
I find it kind of weird that you consider the S because other people tell you so. You already consider the GTS to just stroke your ego, you consider PDCC and RWS too expensive and not worth it for the speeds you'll drive but you don't consider the massive price difference for a much more questionable improvement (compared to RWS) of the S vs. the base?

People buy Porsche cars to get performance. My personal bet is that 99.99% of all Porsche owners can't even fully exploit the performance of the base model 911 at anything but straight line acceleration, and if that's your goal, you should rather get a Tesla Model S P100D.

I considered the S for one reason only: rear wheel steering. And then I decided that it's ridonkulous to pay 16,000 USD for this. Sure, everybody should do whatever they want, but at least be open about the reasons.
Did you not see in the beginning of this thread that I was already considering the S? I was looking for input from other enthusiasts. Most of them seem to support getting the S.

Yep the GTS is an awesome car and I have considered it. I can afford it. Not really sure I want to afford it though. Just because I can afford a four door, 4X4 diesel dually doesn't mean I am going to buy one so that I can haul my dirt bike around. Just because I can afford a GT3 doesn't mean I am going to buy one just so I can drive on the street and do occasional DE's and AX.

PDCC and RWS are just like all the other options. Some people can't live without dynamic headlights. I have no interest in those. Same with sunroofs, no interest. Some people love the PDCC and RWS. I think they are cool and all and there is no denying that they allow one to go faster but when I am honest with myself, I don't see myself getting much value out of them. Same with heated and ventilated seats, doubt I would ever push those buttons but some folks wont order a car without them.

As far as the price difference between the Base and S configurations I am VERY fortunate in that $13,000+/- is not "massive" to me at this point in my life. It appears that those who purchased a S do not regret spending the extra money either.

The S has three things that I REALLY like and want. 1 - Carrera Sport wheels. I have those on my current car, I think they are the best looking wheels available and I wont have another car without them (GTS excepted). 2- SPASM and 3 - Six piston calipers. The extra HP is neat but not a huge draw for me.

That's why I listed option three, order a base with CS wheels, and add S brakes and lower springs. Most seem to think this is a dumb idea and that if I want those things just go ahead and order the S.

Sounds like you are another very happy Base owner and it's guys like you that make it just a little difficult for me to fully commit to an S. I haven't heard anyone that DOESN'T love their base. Including me and my 991.1.
Old 04-07-2017, 11:04 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 12,085 Likes on 5,258 Posts

Personally, I think it's easier to AutoX an 991.2 base.
Old 04-07-2017, 11:27 PM
bkrantz
Rennlist Member

Received 1,109 Likes on 668 Posts

I ordered (and spec'ed) a base 991.2, and absolutely love it. For me, a new S, or any other model was not possible given my budget. I had to choose between a new 991.2 base and a CPO 991.1 S. My core desires were getting the specs I wanted, and my bucket list item for ordering a new Porsche.

If the price bump to the S is not an issue, then I agree with most other responses and say go for it. But I would also say the new base model will not disappoint.
Old 04-07-2017, 11:29 PM
NNN Investment
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Champion Motorsports and there is another place that has the tune for the base that adds ( I may be off ) 75-80hp. So if you got the base and that's 370. That's most probably more then you will truly ever need. I was getting ready to order a base but I'm now leaning towards a CPO Turbo. Decisions. Forgot to mention the residual is worse on an S. Base has the best residual.
Old 04-07-2017, 11:43 PM
rkwfxd
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
Personally, I think it's easier to AutoX an 991.2 base.
You are probably correct. But even if I AX every month that works out to about 12 minutes a month. Might be fun the "struggle" with an S.
Old 04-07-2017, 11:47 PM
djcxxx
Three Wheelin'

Received 349 Likes on 176 Posts

So a 90K car is sensible but another 14K makes it irrational? Only on a Porsche Internet forum. Get a BRZ and keep 60K in the bank, all the performance you can use on the street and more. Nothing sensible or practical about a Porsche, only emotion can override practicality (and any CPA's advice) to justify the cost.
Old 04-08-2017, 12:50 AM
rkwfxd
Burning Brakes

I like to think of it as, "When is enough enough?"

Quick Reply: 991.2 Base or 991.2 S or .......