Sponsored by:

My new butt

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2017, 06:07 PM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Received 672 Likes on 359 Posts

Originally Posted by R_Rated
Plastidip is a cheap alternative if you simply want a color change with 10 ft away quality.
I have to admit that one of the reasons I did it is I just wanted to see how well I could do this technique in a fairly easy-to-apply and remove location. All-in-all it was another fun father-son project.

The other reason was I wasn't 100% sure how I'd like it... I was afraid it might get too lost on my darker paint. Even though it came out better than I expected I'll be switching to the GTS-sourced black letters as well before too long. Unless it started peeling though, I don't think anyone would ever know it was plasti-dip except for the few nerds like us and even then you'd have to get pretty close and maybe even poke at it to tell.

The cost of doing it with proper black letters is pretty darned minimal though, as like R_Rated points out, you'll never need to worry about it peeling off and getting shabby looking.
Old 04-06-2017, 08:15 PM
R_Rated
Banned

Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by StormRune
I have to admit that one of the reasons I did it is I just wanted to see how well I could do this technique in a fairly easy-to-apply and remove location. All-in-all it was another fun father-son project.

The other reason was I wasn't 100% sure how I'd like it... I was afraid it might get too lost on my darker paint. Even though it came out better than I expected I'll be switching to the GTS-sourced black letters as well before too long. Unless it started peeling though, I don't think anyone would ever know it was plasti-dip except for the few nerds like us and even then you'd have to get pretty close and maybe even poke at it to tell.

The cost of doing it with proper black letters is pretty darned minimal though, as like R_Rated points out, you'll never need to worry about it peeling off and getting shabby looking.
Btw I'm in Austin this week visiting family and he weather is amazing! I need seen a lot of M cars, some GTI's and some ferrari's but no porsches:/
Old 04-06-2017, 10:00 PM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by R_Rated
Btw I'm in Austin this week visiting family and he weather is amazing! I need seen a lot of M cars, some GTI's and some ferrari's but no porsches:/
The weather this winter and spring have been just a little too good here... it worries me that the summer might be setting up to be a scorcher so you've picked a good time to visit. Hopefully you're being treated to some good local eats and music while you're here.

If you are in the parts of town that the cars you mention frequent, the west and northwest side of town, I would have expected some Porsche sightings too. Oddly enough I just saw two when we went out for dinner and we only drove a handful of miles.

Maybe the next time you come visit the new multistory Porsche dealership will have been built up in the Arboretum. I hear they are planning something quite special!
Old 05-11-2017, 10:28 PM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Just a follow-up on using PlastiDip for blackening the lettering. I washed and waxed the car yesterday and when rubbing off the wax next to the letters the rag pulled away some of the PlastiDip on the tip of the E on the end of PORSCHE, so I went ahead and took it all back off. As R_Rated said several posts back it isn't that robust, at least it wasn't for me. Since the "chrome" surface of the factory lettering is pretty danged shiny/smooth I guess it's not a big surprise it didn't hold that well even with the 5 or 6 thin coats I applied.

It took me about 45 minutes for detailed work to successfully remove all traces of it from all edges of the lettering. I think I'm just going to leave the lettering shiny now since I opted to go with brushed clear HRE wheels rather than dark... so they can all just be shiny together. The wheels should be here late next week so we'll see how it all works.
Old 05-12-2017, 06:11 AM
dmtsc
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks like it came from the factory that way.
Old 05-12-2017, 08:40 AM
R_Rated
Banned

Originally Posted by dmtsc
Looks like it came from the factory that way.
Thanks! She's starting to come together and every mod I do, the barometer for success is factory quality. This summer should bring on some additional goodies!
Old 05-12-2017, 09:41 AM
J.Ho
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

When ya'll do the "paragraph" delete lol... do you leave the original PORSCHE emblem in place or are you also removing that and putting a new one down a bit ?
Old 05-12-2017, 09:52 AM
PatrickC23
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you put 991 GTS would people think its a typo?
Old 05-12-2017, 10:17 AM
R_Rated
Banned

Originally Posted by J.Ho
When ya'll do the "paragraph" delete lol... do you leave the original PORSCHE emblem in place or are you also removing that and putting a new one down a bit ?
I moved down a bit to center. You don't have to and will look fine so long as it is straight.

Last edited by R_Rated; 05-12-2017 at 10:41 AM.
Old 05-12-2017, 10:40 AM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by J.Ho
Agree with R_Rated that most will never notice if it is left higher, but just FYI the factory does place it in a slightly lower position when the model is deleted. If you look back at the photo I provided, my car had the model deletion option from the factory and that is where the factory placed it.
Old 05-12-2017, 10:53 AM
4pipes
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts

Yes, when just "Porsche" is installed it's about one letter height lower. I've measured it on numerous pictures. I've considered lowering mine. I have a simple method in mind if I do it.
Old 05-12-2017, 11:04 AM
OMFS
Racer

Received 46 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by STG
I like the black badge. Now go raise that spoiler for some real pics!
Please don't. When I seen P cars with the spoiler up it reminds me of someone with their fly open. If you want that look get a ducktail.
Old 05-12-2017, 11:06 AM
4pipes
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts

Yep, never did understand that.
Old 05-12-2017, 11:37 AM
911boy
Three Wheelin'

Received 137 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by 4pipes
Yep, never did understand that.
Me neither. I always assume its broken if left up.
Old 05-21-2017, 05:18 PM
4BENDS
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So the only way that you can get body color is from the factory?
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: My new butt