Sponsored by:

Spare Tire and Mounting

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2021, 02:36 PM
puppycat
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Ceepe
Works for 991.2. No Porsche space saver fits rear. A rear puncture involves a double change, moving front to rear. Spare must go on front.
Where does the flat rear fit after the double swap? Or must one carry a chain and lock it to the nearest tree for later pickup? Or have the passenger hold it

295/30 20"

Last edited by puppycat; 03-29-2021 at 02:42 PM.
Old 03-29-2021, 03:40 PM
Ceepe
Rennlist Member

Received 541 Likes on 286 Posts

It will fit in the back.
Old 03-29-2021, 03:40 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Received 1,310 Likes on 610 Posts

Originally Posted by bkrantz
freeman, the part number for the wheel and tire I bought is 991.362.050.00. Two different parts manangers confirmed this fits all 991 models, including big-T turbos.
Thank you for posting this—I am interested to know if the 19-inch spare really goes over the 410mm PCCB front rotor? I suspect it must, as the 991.2 Turbo S has them as standard, as do other models, but just want to be sure.

Works for 991.2. No Porsche space saver fits rear. A rear puncture involves a double change, moving front to rear. Spare must go on front.
Makes perfect sense. Having a spare wheel/tire on a trip would be a very nice option to have. Few things are less attractive than being stranded, or watching your car get loaded onto a flatbed (if you can get one…), or the ride along to the nearest shop that can fix you up.

Or hoping to start the process above once you find cell signal…
Old 03-29-2021, 03:50 PM
Ceepe
Rennlist Member

Received 541 Likes on 286 Posts

Originally Posted by stout
Thank you for posting this—I am interested to know if the 19-inch spare really goes over the 410mm PCCB front rotor? I suspect it must, as the 991.2 Turbo S has them as standard, as do other models, but just want to be sure.

Makes perfect sense. Having a spare wheel/tire on a trip would be a very nice option to have. Few things are less attractive than being stranded, or watching your car get loaded onto a flatbed (if you can get one…), or the ride along to the nearest shop that can fix you up.

Or hoping to start the process above once you find cell signal…
Totally. I hate being without a spare. While I was commuting into NYC I kept a mobile tire shop in the frunk. Porsche space saver, jack, breaker bar, sockets, plug kit, plastic tarp, gloves, etc. Funny enough when I put the DSC controller in I felt the weight way more and took all that out for the time being. Ending up on the side of the road and unable to get going is awful. At least it is in the Tri state area.

In terms of clearing your PCCB, I'm not sure there is a spacesaver that works. Because I don't believe there is a spare with center locks. Most 410's are found on GT3's and turbos. Don't quote me on that though.
Old 03-29-2021, 03:53 PM
Whirl
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ooops, I knew that, not sure why I wrote front or back. Yes, double swap if rear tire needs to be changed. I read that for the 991.1, but haven't heard anyone actually do it for the 991.2
Old 03-29-2021, 04:01 PM
Whirl
4th Gear

Yeah, I'm afraid of popping a wheel in NYC at night. Most shops are closed, so have to wait until next morning at the earliest (and still having to wait 24 hours for them to order a tire), means no where to store the car overnight. The streets could be dangerous, and no parking and tow away zones (they won't use a flatbed), means you're screwed w/o a spare.

[QUOTE=Ceepe;17329461]Totally. I hate being without a spare. While I was commuting into NYC I kept a mobile tire shop in the frunk. Porsche space saver, jack, breaker bar, sockets, plug kit, plastic tarp, gloves, etc. Funny enough when I put the DSC controller in I felt the weight way more and took all that out for the time being. Ending up on the side of the road and unable to get going is awful. At least it is in the Tri state area.
/QUOTE]
Old 03-29-2021, 04:18 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Received 1,310 Likes on 610 Posts

In terms of clearing your PCCB, I'm not sure there is a spacesaver that works. Because I don't believe there is a spare with center locks. Most 410's are found on GT3's and turbos. Don't quote me on that though.
That's what I am worried about—though the 410mm PCCB became standard across all 981/991.2/982 models, so there are actually a lot of cars out there with five-lug hubs and 410mm.

You know, I actually think this could be an area for HRE or one of the other wheel makers to offer a custom space-save spare for 991s, both with five-lug or center lock compatibility. 20 inches and a lot narrower than the factory solution seen above—more like the space-saver spare seen in the 360 Challenge Stradale. The narrower the better for weight and storage space, and you don't need much to keep moving…just something round.

Poking around, 20-inch space-save spare tires do exist:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1-BRAND-N...8AAOSwxB5frC8A
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AUDI-A6-S...IAAOSw8GZfpHZN

Old 03-29-2021, 04:38 PM
hoffmeister
AutoX

Is anyone aware of whether there is a spare option like this that would work with centerlocks? I too have always been a fanatic about having a spare so just moving to Porsche in the last month (991.2 turbo) I am looking for options. I always keep a plug kit in the car and I have a jack/ extendible breaker bar already in case a hole is pluggable.....but sometimes those potholes put a gash in the sidewall.
Old 03-29-2021, 04:58 PM
pbon
Racer

Received 130 Likes on 112 Posts

I am shopping for a 991.2 TT or TTS and did some research on this. Apparently Porsche makes a center lock to 5 lug adapter. Unfortunately, I could not find a part number. Suncoast sells a kit that fits the TTS so maybe it includes this part.

Still, for my year round daily driver purposes, I am leaning towards the TT with 5 lug and preferably steel brakes. I’ll be swapping winter and summer wheels and would rather not have to carry the extra CL equipment or risk chipping a carbon rotor. Everyone loves the PCCB, but the steel brakes are fine for street use. The only complaint about steel is the dust.
Old 03-30-2021, 07:12 AM
Fullyield
Drifting

Received 1,445 Likes on 912 Posts

Old 04-06-2021, 09:00 PM
Whirl
4th Gear

Originally Posted by Fullyield

Which wheel is that? That looks a lot skinnier than the original spare wheel option of the OP. Does this wheel fit the 991s?
Old 06-10-2024, 10:03 PM
Tier1Terrier
Rennlist Member

Received 938 Likes on 466 Posts

I would like to know a few things for anyone who has ever had to use one of these collapsible spares on a 991.

How well and easily does the collapsible tire return to it's original collapsed size? Can a collapsible tire be used over and over within a reasonable number of years? Do these collapsible tires have a known shelf life? I realize that under ordinary circumstances, it's recommended that you not keep tires more than 6 years even though tires have been known to be kept longer than that without issue.

Has anyone who has one of these collapsible spares on a 991 ever had the rear tire failure situation (where you have to do the front/rear swap)? If so, how was that drive following the change? Obviously the driving characteristics are drastically reduced and this is only intended to get you somewhere where you can safely deal with the matter. I've driven a car with a donut spare before. I just can't imagine driving my 911 with the front wheel on the back and then the front on a donut. I'd imagine that would be a very slow and awkward drive.
Old 06-23-2024, 08:48 AM
Tier1Terrier
Rennlist Member

Received 938 Likes on 466 Posts

One more question in addition to the one immediately above this one... Perhaps someone like @bkrantz @Fullyield @stout @Ceepe already knows. Has there been any account of the 991 spare working with PCCBs? I've scoured the various threads here on RL and elsewhere about these collapsible spares. As indicated on this one and others, the vehicle fitment on the various Porsche parts websites lists the 2019 Turbo S (for example: https://www.sunsetporscheparts.com/o...re-99136205001 ) which suggests that it DOES in fact fit over PCCBs since those vehicles come standard with them. On the other hand, the Suncoast website which offers less detailed fitment information states "Not compatible with the Ceramic Brake System.". Then pretty much almost everything I've read from people posting on threads indicates their belief that it won't fit over PCCBs based on similar or anecdotal evidence found on the internet, but I haven't seen/heard/read anything from someone with PCCBs who can confirm or deny. Just wanted to post this question again here in case anyone has an update on this elusive question?

Why do I want to know if I don't have PCCBs? Just in case in the off-chance that I might be considering a bigger brake system for my 991.2 S.
Old 06-23-2024, 09:58 AM
Fullyield
Drifting

Sorry but I am of no help Terrier. My experiments were all with the 986/996 donut spare, not the later 991 collapsible spare. They had different wheels and different brakes. The 986/996 donut spare will NOT fit the 991.1S because of the larger front brake calipers. Best wishes.
Old 06-23-2024, 10:03 AM
Fullyield
Drifting

Originally Posted by Whirl
Which wheel is that? That looks a lot skinnier than the original spare wheel option of the OP. Does this wheel fit the 991s?
I apologize for the very, very delayed response. This is the 986/996 factory donut spare. It is NOT the collapsible spare tire/wheel. This wheel will NOT fit the 991.1S because the wheel will not clear the larger front brake calipers. However, it does fit 986/987/981/996/997. I do NOT know whether it will clear front brake calipers on 991.1 base, however.

Last edited by Fullyield; 06-23-2024 at 10:05 AM.

Quick Reply: Spare Tire and Mounting