Sponsored by:

Milestone car....

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2017, 08:04 PM
Hawkeye911
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Milestone car....

I'm going crazy waiting for mine to finally arrive at the dealer, thought this might be an entertaining thread to pass some time....

A 911 is a car many of us have aspired for since a young age, becoming a passion and dream. It is a car which often signifies a certain milestone.

I'm curious what your milestone was (or still is) to reward yourself with such a great automobile?
Old 03-26-2017, 09:05 PM
TorqueChap
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Hawkeye911
I'm going crazy waiting for mine to finally arrive at the dealer, thought this might be an entertaining thread to pass some time.... A 911 is a car many of us have aspired for since a young age, becoming a passion and dream. It is a car which often signifies a certain milestone. I'm curious what your milestone was (or still is) to reward yourself with such a great automobile?
Bought the '97 993TT at 40.
Bought the '16 GTS Targa at 50.
Old 03-27-2017, 10:03 AM
titanflyer
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Like many men my age, the 911 was on my wall right beside Farrah Fawcett and a couple other cars and girls... it was my dream car, specifically the Gemballa Avalanche 911. I truly felt like that car would be the car I drove when I was a millionaire. So I am currently working on my second million cause I am so sick of waiting on the first million I have given up on it.

It wasn't a milestone per se for me... it was 2016 being a year of all the 80's idols dying. My father passed when he was only 42 and was a serious car guy. I have always dabbled in used sports cars and never was satisfied... it was never a 911. The final straw was that the lead singer of one of my favorite bands (Tragically Hip... I grew up in Canada) did a final concert as he has brain cancer. All of this piled up and just convinced me that I couldn't wait forever, as forever could end tomorrow. I can afford the 911, but it's not a comfortable "who cares" kind of afford... lol.

I will say that all my concerns on spending the money and future maintenance concerns etc etc have all melted away. Seeing that beauty sitting in my garage and sliding in to even go pick up some groceries is making it ALL worth it. I OWN A 911!!!!!
Old 03-27-2017, 10:10 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,371 Likes on 794 Posts

cause I felt like buying one?
Old 03-27-2017, 10:33 AM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,249 Likes on 784 Posts

The only thing that really kept me from buying a 911 was the fact that I needed a usable back seat when my boys were teenagers, but not quite old enough to drive. My first Porsche was a Cayenne S, which served me well. When the boys both got their driver license and a car, I found myself driving alone or with my wife most of the time. I decided that it was time for a 911, so I bought one at 43. I have driven a 911 as my primary vehicle ever since then.
Old 03-27-2017, 11:40 AM
Hurricane
Race Car

Received 653 Likes on 299 Posts

Not really a milestone for me for any of my cars but I had different reasons for buying what I did at various times.
Old 03-27-2017, 11:54 AM
Penn4S
Rennlist Member

Received 1,300 Likes on 730 Posts

Grew up in a great hard working Italian family. Dad was a hard working guy doing all he could to take care of his family. A Porsche was a dream car when I was a kid. My first was an early 80's 911 that went away when my kids arrived shortly after. I always knew I would be back. Have owned several since and don't see any reason to leave the brand as it still hits all the right buttons.
Old 03-27-2017, 12:08 PM
CSK 911 C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 401 Posts

I just happened to stop at Porsche dealer on my way to the Audi dealer next door. Had an R8 on my mind but after I drove the loaded CPO'ed Ducky C4S I had to have it.

Might sound strange to this group but my milestone car is the old 88 16v Scirocco I've been wrenching on for 10 years. I used to sit in the Scirocco's when my parents took their VW's in for service and I always knew I wanted to own one. My 1st one was an 86 8v which I kept for 7 years and when I sold it I felt a piece of me go with it so after a few years of yearning for another Scirocco I bought my current 88 and have been playing car mechanic ever since. It's worth more in parts than it is whole and I wouldn't have it any other way.
Old 03-27-2017, 12:08 PM
JustBud
Race Car

Received 654 Likes on 378 Posts

Originally Posted by titanflyer
Like many men my age, the 911 was on my wall right beside Farrah Fawcett and a couple other cars and girls... ........
I will say that all my concerns on spending the money and future maintenance concerns etc etc have all melted away. Seeing that beauty sitting in my garage and sliding in to even go pick up some groceries is making it ALL worth it. I OWN A 911!!!!!
This pretty much sums it up for me.

My kids are all through college, and I turned 50, those two facts combined with my genetics tend to show my family checks out early, so I took the plunge.

Originally Posted by CSK 911 C4S
Might sound strange to this group but my milestone car is the old 88 16v Scirocco I've been wrenching on for 10 years. ............. It's worth more in parts than it is whole and I wouldn't have it any other way.
Not at all! I was in love with the Gen II Scirocco when they came out! Just out of my price range when I was a kid. Saw one at the local Home Depot about a month ago. A true survivor (in red, my least favorite color) with partially polished out pin striping still on it. (not what I would have done but it lent a certain '80's charm to it). I sat there for 10 minutes just ogling it. I didn't have my phone or I would have taken pics!

Check this out......don't know if you've seen it. enjoy!

Old 03-27-2017, 12:13 PM
R_Rated
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

I've had nice cars from pretty young. Some more expensive and some just drivers or projects...

When I got divorced 10 years ago... got rid of EVERYTHING.... eventually bought some projects here and there. The most memorable were a couple BMW Z3M convertibles. The first was a boosted S52 and the second was a built S54. Fast forward....

I was getting ready to get engaged and knew that post engagement I would never get congressional approval for a "nice" car so I got a Jaguar XKR, which I absolutely loved - about a month before I proposed. The order is key as that car was also a placeholder for my fun car. The Jag dealer cracked the windshield during service which they volunteered to replace all fine to this point. When replacing the windshield they damaged the leather which is very nice and puts the Porsche leather to shame. Instead of fixing it - they sanded it down and spray painted the whole dash which covered it up but ruined it. I lost my emotional connection with the car after it became tainted. After a long fight with the dealer I took them to small claims and got a phenomenal judgement in my favor. The jag was fantastic and by far the best GT available - yes including Ferrari, aston, etc.... but I wanted to have fun driving again - beyond blistering 0-60 acceleration. This is also why I couldn't care less about the torque in the 991.2... perhaps if not for the jag and some AMG's I wouldn't yet have it out of my system.

You could say that getting married again and settling down was the milestone for me Prior to that I rarely went out, refrained from any large purchases and saved as much as I could, knowing that I wanted to get married again and start another family. Those 5 or 6 years of saving set a foundation for being able to make a lot of decisions now. My 991 being one of them.
Old 03-27-2017, 12:29 PM
Jonathan Lord
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I am waiting too Hawkeye

I love cars. . and have been in a mode of turning cars over on leases every 3 years with fewer than 20,000 miles. Made a decision this year to have one "keeper" - so I configured a C4S to the max to fit longer term needs. Planning on driving it less than 2500 miles per year. This is my second 991 (the other was an early edition C4S cabriolet) and have missed it. I have always been a fan of C4S over any other - for multiple reasons - body shape, sure footedness, and no "fixed wing". The new C4S should be here any day. .
I have a 2015 S65 (V12 Biturbo) that is coming off lease in a couple of months. I didn't know what I would do to follow that one up (it is a great car). Decided to get a Panamera Turbo - it is in Emden right now. It will be a leased car - and daily driver.
So no milestone. . but definitely first time to decide on a "keeper". I thought about buying a classic. . looked at a lot of cars. . and decide to buy a new car that would be a classic down the road
So. . using the "waiting" time on this blog. . and keep bugging the dealership
Old 03-27-2017, 12:40 PM
ENCT
Rennlist Member

Received 345 Likes on 175 Posts

I bought a 1995 993 and kept it as a garage queen. had it for 8 years and finally got sick of the OCD I sold it with 8000 miles on it. Raised my family and tried a few GT500's and Corvettes which where garage queens as well. Finally decided to put my bull**** OCD aside and got back into a 911 and am having a ball driving the snot out of it. So my milestone is putting my OCD aside.
Eric
Old 03-27-2017, 12:48 PM
Code
Three Wheelin'

Received 50 Likes on 36 Posts

My goal was to buy one once I was making six figures and had $2k month disposable income. Nailed it.
Old 03-27-2017, 12:54 PM
R_Rated
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Jonathan Lord
I love cars. . and have been in a mode of turning cars over on leases every 3 years with fewer than 20,000 miles. Made a decision this year to have one "keeper" - so I configured a C4S to the max to fit longer term needs. Planning on driving it less than 2500 miles per year. This is my second 991 (the other was an early edition C4S cabriolet) and have missed it. I have always been a fan of C4S over any other - for multiple reasons - body shape, sure footedness, and no "fixed wing". The new C4S should be here any day. .
I have a 2015 S65 (V12 Biturbo) that is coming off lease in a couple of months. I didn't know what I would do to follow that one up (it is a great car). Decided to get a Panamera Turbo - it is in Emden right now. It will be a leased car - and daily driver.
So no milestone. . but definitely first time to decide on a "keeper". I thought about buying a classic. . looked at a lot of cars. . and decide to buy a new car that would be a classic down the road
So. . using the "waiting" time on this blog. . and keep bugging the dealership
Seen the new DB11?

That S65 is a FANTASTIC car but but the S63 is the PERFECT one.
Old 03-27-2017, 01:03 PM
Jonathan Lord
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have had both S63 and S65. I loved them both. . they are very different. If I was going to do another Mercedes, would do an S63 - not because one is perfect, but at the end of the day, S63 is more fun and about $50K less!
Just a few non-Porsche comments:
1) I had BMW's for many years - felt they lost their edge and i-Drive was a nightmare in the early days; just getting down to the end of 435ix (my wife's car) - great engine, very frustrating interfaces (double clicks, voice, and navi)
2) Had a great run of about a dozen different Mercedes AMGs - all very solid cars . . but need a break because I am a bit bored with them.
3) Had one C4S - and loved it. . and now going to an "all Porsche" garage with one *
4) My wife now has a new generation Miata for her "Golf cart" . .

Quick Reply: Milestone car....