Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Milestone car....

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2017, 09:26 AM
Hurricane
Race Car

Received 653 Likes on 299 Posts

I originally wanted to get a Porsche (the Boxster had just come out) but I was in the Air Force and my assignments were taking me far away from any dealers. So I bought a beautiful new red Corvette (C5) instead, thinking that there is always a Chevy dealer not too far away. I had that C5 for six years, then moved on to another new red Corvette (a C6) and had that car for eight years.

Two weeks before I picked it up, I found out that we were expecting our first child. Three children and eight years later, I had only put 16,000 miles on the Corvette. I could never drive it with any of the kids in tow because it didn't have a back seat. And I didn't drive it nearly as much as I should have, keeping it in pristine condition. I vowed never to "not" drive a car again.

I started looking at the C7 Stingrays as they were coming out, fully planning on getting another new (red) Corvette, maybe even waiting another year and getting the Z06, if not the regular Stingray. Then I priced a loaded Stingray and found that the price wasn't that far off from a lightly used 991.

I fell in love with the 991 shape. Absolutely gorgeous. And with a very nice, modern interior. I had always liked 911's - my father had looked at one in the early 80s when we were stationed in Germany but it was European spec and it was too expensive to bring back to the States at that time. Now at his age, his health is fading and he is really too old, too poor in health to enjoy a 911. It made me realize that I should get what I want (and could afford) now while I can enjoy it.

So after nearly 15 years of Corvettes (and 6 years of a Camaro Z28 before that) I bought my first 911, a lightly used 991S, only two years old and 7,200 miles on it. With the back seat, I drove it everywhere, picking up and dropping kids off at school. I took it to an HPDC and then decided to try autocross, too! I thought I would own that car for a very long time.

After owning that 991S for two years, I happen to stumble across my dream car, a beautiful 991S insanely loaded with nearly every option imaginable, 13k miles on it with three years left on the CPO warranty, powerkit, Aerokit cup, PCCBs, leather and carbon fiber and so on. I drove eight hours across four states to pick it up and bring it home late last summer. I told my wife "this is the last Porsche I will ever buy." She replied "that's what you said last time..."

So not so much as a milestone "I'll get one when I hit 40 or 50" or a reward for a promotion or a new job as much as an evolution of my desires in automobiles and the circumstances of my life.
Old 03-28-2017, 09:26 AM
Hurricane
Race Car

Received 653 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by Bemo
The wife always wanted a Porsche, I wanted an M3 but was becoming increasingly disappointed with the direction of the brand.
She convinced me to test drive a Porsche, a 911S, 5 minutes into the test drive I forgot all about the M.
Then she looks at a "wide body" model that she liked even more, which turns out to be a GTS and proceeds to throw a fit about it.
Long story short, we scored a great deal from a super nice sales guy at Suncoast and "Rumble Bee" arrived home couple of weeks later.
Bucket lists are great. It's even better when those become "**** it" lists and you start pulling the trigger.
Life's too short to wait and hesitate...
That's the truth!
Old 03-28-2017, 09:35 AM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Received 309 Likes on 184 Posts

I moved into a 911 in 1975 when I got tired of my 914 2.0 getting passed on the straights at DEs by 911s that I had soundly whipped at autocross events.
Old 03-28-2017, 09:48 AM
KenTO
Burning Brakes

Received 522 Likes on 199 Posts

I always thought that ordering my first Ferrari from the factory was a milestone for me. I loved my 458 Italia, but then I didn't drive it as much as I should have, it was not a car I could drive every day or to work. So I decided to get a 911 Targa as a daily driver. I enjoyed the practicality of the Porsche so much I realized I didn't need the Ferrari anymore, so I sold it for a great price. The 911 is truly the best sports car you can take to the track, work and the grocery store. Now I want something with a bit more power and exotic elements, so I have ordered a Targa GTS in Carmine Red with Alcantara GTS interior. A milestone for me is getting the exotic car purchase experience out of the way, and having something really useful. It's like realizing the model girlfriend is too high maintenance, and going back to the cute girl next door who can actually cook and is great in bed.
Old 03-28-2017, 02:22 PM
thebrit86
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Strangely the 911 wasn't a milestone car for me as much as I once thought it would be. For me it was my first Porsche, my 2006 Cayman S.

Reason being was I was in college when the Cayman was announced. I remember reading about it in EVO magazine which was my splurge item I had in college, for the most part I was very poor and could barely buy groceries. I remember reading their review on the car, what an amazing handling car it was, how practical it was with it's two trunks etc. I said to myself that if I was ever in the financial position to get one I would. Fast forward 5 years and I was 25 making really good money and I found a black on black Cayman S in my price range. Buying that car and driving it everyday (it was my daily) brought me so much pleasure and cemented my love for Porsche.

Now I have my 991, which to me is the best looking water cooled 911 to ever be made. I'm very grateful that I own the car and I don't plan on parting with it for many years to come. But it will never replace that special feeling that I got driving my Cayman.

Quick Reply: Milestone car....