Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sound Symposer - where is it on a cabrio?

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2017, 07:28 PM
henryeng
Advanced

Received 22 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Sound Symposer - where is it on a cabrio?

Hi,
I recently bought a 2015 cabrio. Does anyone have info about how to defeat the 'sound symposer' noise? Where is the 'pipe' in the cabin?

Also...is there a way to set the "Sport" mode so it defaults to ON? So it's on when you first start the car?

Thanks!
Hank
Old 03-26-2017, 07:41 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,407 Likes on 2,514 Posts

For your second question; you cannot, that's not possible.
Old 03-26-2017, 07:46 PM
henryeng
Advanced

I kinda thought so....but thanks anyway...
Old 03-26-2017, 08:05 PM
STG
Race Director

Received 200 Likes on 142 Posts

There is a guy who does a mod to the center button console that SPORT can be default ON. Same with PSE too.

Has a module you can purchase.

http://t-design9.com/memory_module.html

Name:  photo716.jpg
Views: 1180
Size:  696.9 KB
Old 03-26-2017, 08:13 PM
STG
Race Director

Symposer access in the cabin?? Maybe the cab doesn't have one that channels into the cabin? Not sure.

Plenum where are you?
Old 03-26-2017, 08:20 PM
henryeng
Advanced

Thanks for all that. I don't want to take the car apart if I don't know where to look! Maybe someone knows where it is...
Old 03-26-2017, 08:21 PM
STG
Race Director

Our friend "Plenum" here should know.
Old 03-26-2017, 10:34 PM
plenum
Burning Brakes

Received 56 Likes on 36 Posts

Honestly, I don't know exactly how to get to the symposer port on a Cab. But I can't imagine that it is in any other location than on all other 991s, because the hose running from the engine bay is the same (ie I don't recall ever seeing a separate part or assembly for Cab cars). You don't have to tear anything apart to take a look back there for the small black opening behind the sound deadening materials in the cab... Might be harder to locate because of all the other stuff back there, but get a good flashlight and hunt -- you are bound to find it easy enough....

Once you find it, if you'd like to plug or disconnect the "acoustic simulator" check out this DIY thread on 6Speed.... Even if you don't find the port from the interior side, you can identify it's location from the engine bay.... AND, let's not forget that the symposer is activated via one of our infamous Change Over Valves! In other words, you can simply disconnect the actuator.

Here is the DIY: http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/9...ml#post4046980

Good Luck!
Old 03-27-2017, 06:18 PM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Received 672 Likes on 359 Posts

Originally Posted by plenum
... AND, let's not forget that the symposer is activated via one of our infamous Change Over Valves! In other words, you can simply disconnect the actuator.
Not that I want to do it, but I had wondered about for those that did just unplugging the valve too. However, the PSE exhaust valves are normally open (loud) when you unplug the changeover right? So if that holds true here unplugging it would cause it to always be on/loud. You'd have to patch the vacuum around the change-over-valve if that is the case. Maybe you or someone knows definitively? In either case it would be fairly simple and likely more effective that trying to stuff things into the port in the car.
Old 03-27-2017, 07:25 PM
henryeng
Advanced

Here's info I found in a post from a few years ago. Question answered:
A helpful Rennlister has already explained how to modify the sound symposer in the coupe. The sound inlet is mounted differently in the cab. In the drop-top, you just need to raise the tonneau cover (hold "roof open" button for 4 secs) to reveal the space behind the seats into which the roof folds. Pull off the seal at the back (forward of the engine cover) to release its grip on the plastic mat (forward of the seal). Lift the mat from the nearside rear quarter and find the sound inlet just right of centre. A little heat- and fire-proof insulation, laid over the inlet would presumably achieve the same end.
Old 03-27-2017, 10:37 PM
plenum
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by StormRune
Not that I want to do it, but I had wondered about for those that did just unplugging the valve too. However, the PSE exhaust valves are normally open (loud) when you unplug the changeover right? So if that holds true here unplugging it would cause it to always be on/loud. You'd have to patch the vacuum around the change-over-valve if that is the case. Maybe you or someone knows definitively? In either case it would be fairly simple and likely more effective that trying to stuff things into the port in the car.
The symposer COV is different from the other COVs, including the exhaust valves. It has it's own. Leaving any vacuum lines disconnected will likely lead to a yellow "coolant system" warning.
Old 03-27-2017, 10:39 PM
plenum
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by henryeng
A helpful Rennlister has already explained how to modify the sound symposer in the coupe. The sound inlet is mounted differently in the cab. In the drop-top, you just need to raise the tonneau cover (hold "roof open" button for 4 secs) to reveal the space behind the seats into which the roof folds. Pull off the seal at the back (forward of the engine cover) to release its grip on the plastic mat (forward of the seal). Lift the mat from the nearside rear quarter and find the sound inlet just right of centre. A little heat- and fire-proof insulation, laid over the inlet would presumably achieve the same end.
Right, so the opening is in the same location regardless of coupe, cab, or targa. The location on the engine of the valve and tubing that runs into the cabin port is the same on all models, so makes sense.
Old 06-07-2017, 07:24 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,603 Likes on 1,618 Posts

Originally Posted by henryeng

Hmm, I'm gonna check this out soon. I want to see how much noise is the symposer and how much is actual exhaust!
Old 06-07-2017, 07:33 PM
R_Rated
Banned

Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by plenum
The symposer COV is different from the other COVs, including the exhaust valves. It has it's own. Leaving any vacuum lines disconnected will likely lead to a yellow "coolant system" warning.
Yes - also - that module didn't address the sound symposer from my skim through.

Additionally - the COV's on the exhaust do fail so I'd be reluctant to leave them open all of the time.

Auto Sport/Sport+ would be nice but not 200 bucks nice to me.
Old 06-07-2017, 07:34 PM
R_Rated
Banned

Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Needsdecaf
Hmm, I'm gonna check this out soon. I want to see how much noise is the symposer and how much is actual exhaust!
If you try I'd be interested in knowing. Should this be a daily driver it would be more appealing but I'm considering IPD + Headers to make loud

Quick Reply: Sound Symposer - where is it on a cabrio?