Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

991.2 vs 992

Old 03-23-2017, 08:41 PM
NNN Investment
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 991.2 vs 992

So I'm considering either a used 2017 C2. 95k was 118k sticker. I then priced out a lease on same car with a 109k sticker for 3k total out of pocket and 1355 per month for 3yrs/10k miles. I estimate after tax write off on the lease I would save approx 400 per month. So my question is with the 992 out in 2 years would I be safer in a lease in reference to value. The used 991.2 could take a huge hit when the 992 comes out. It may not. For the Porsche guys with years of experience on model changes, what is your experience. This is my second 991.
Old 03-23-2017, 08:49 PM
kayjh
Drifting

Received 681 Likes on 475 Posts

Originally Posted by NNN Investment
So I'm considering either a used 2017 C2. 95k was 118k sticker. I then priced out a lease on same car with a 109k sticker for 3k total out of pocket and 1355 per month for 3yrs/10k miles. I estimate after tax write off on the lease I would save approx 400 per month. So my question is with the 992 out in 2 years would I be safer in a lease in reference to value. The used 991.2 could take a huge hit when the 992 comes out. It may not. For the Porsche guys with years of experience on model changes, what is your experience. This is my second 991.
These cars are a pile of dough to own or lease. Just get a car and enjoy it. If you think about whether you'll add $5,000 or $7,000 over 3 years to cost because of a model you'll just drive yourself crazy and never get a car. In my opinion, depreciation has a lot to do with supply and demand (dealer allocation availability) than model changeover - at least in my market.
Old 03-23-2017, 08:51 PM
NNN Investment
Instructor

Lol. I'm crazy with getting the numbers down. I think lease is better since if an accident occurs there is no worries on trade in.
Old 03-23-2017, 09:54 PM
Johnny5Alive
Burning Brakes

Received 299 Likes on 127 Posts

I know this isn't what you asked, but in my opinion buying cars is about spending money not really saving money. I work in finance and I understand your dilemma, but I stopped worrying about these things a long time ago.

I buy every car with full expectation that it will depreciate like hell. Then I drive it without worry of miles, and get my money's worth. If it's worth anything when I'm done with it, it's a win.

I don't see cars as an investment in anything other than happiness and fun. If your financial affairs are in order and you can afford a car like this then do it. Expect depreciation and buy the car that makes you happy. That way when the new one comes out you can still be happy with what you have and if you can afford the new one, and want the new one, then rinse and repeat.
Old 03-23-2017, 10:24 PM
Jack F
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 710 Likes on 495 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnny5Alive
I know this isn't what you asked, but in my opinion buying cars is about spending money not really saving money. I work in finance and I understand your dilemma, but I stopped worrying about these things a long time ago.

I buy every car with full expectation that it will depreciate like hell. Then I drive it without worry of miles, and get my money's worth. If it's worth anything when I'm done with it, it's a win.

I don't see cars as an investment in anything other than happiness and fun. If your financial affairs are in order and you can afford a car like this then do it. Expect depreciation and buy the car that makes you happy. That way when the new one comes out you can still be happy with what you have and if you can afford the new one, and want the new one, then rinse and repeat.
Well stated.
Old 03-23-2017, 11:03 PM
captainkirk
Pro

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

Excellent that is the way to think. All cars depreciate, no point worrying about it. Just drive and be happy.

As for the Op - Get the 991.2 now and enjoy it. 992 can come out in 3 years instead of 2. Anything is possible.
Old 03-23-2017, 11:08 PM
P-car fan
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As already has been well stated, getting any new car is almost always technically a "bad" financial decision, so don't think about it too much. If you're even considering those issues, I'm sure you'd never make an impulse buy that could actually be a bad choice
I'd definitely get a lightly used 991.2, that's what I did and haven't second thought my decision once in the first month of ownership. I LOVE this car and can't wait to drive it each and every day ��
Old 03-23-2017, 11:16 PM
NNN Investment
Instructor

My buddy keeps telling me to get a 14 turbo or turbo S. He does a guaranteed buyback of 10k. So really the only cost is $800 per month plus the interest which is $400 per month.
Old 03-23-2017, 11:21 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 10,726 Likes on 4,759 Posts

Buy now. Drive now. Enjoy now.

Why wait for 2 years for the 992.

You could die tomorrow.
Old 03-23-2017, 11:24 PM
NNN Investment
Instructor

I agree with what your saying. Even though these vehicles lose $ I would think getting into a lease would alleviate any anxiety that goes with a drastic drop in value like the 2012 C2 and 2012.5 991 C2.
Attached Images   
Old 03-24-2017, 12:53 AM
Dewinator
Drifting

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

They guy that bought new that '12 C2 that's now basically 6 years old has spent way less on ownership than someone who's had two or three leases since then.

Also it's rediculous to compare anything to a 992 that hasn't even been announced. Maybe it'll fly or have 8000 horsepowers. Or have a 1.3L quad turbo motor that's universally reviled.

if you want to spend less, buy the car you want and hold onto it. If you want to spend more, keep doing leases.
Old 03-24-2017, 07:46 AM
subshooter
Rennlist Member

Received 2,139 Likes on 980 Posts

This is EXACTLY how I think abut any depreciating asset.
Old 03-24-2017, 08:48 AM
phow
Pro

Received 200 Likes on 108 Posts

As others have already said, it's a depreciating asset and the only way to buy a new-ish carrera and not take a huge hit is to buy a few years old. If you bought a 2014 or 2015, cost of ownership will be around 5-6k over 2 years vs 20-30k in a new model. Personally, if I was looking to buy (not lease) for only 2 years, I'm always going to try and find a slightly older model that is still under warranty/CPO.

i also do not recommend holding out for the 992. We may see the launch in 2-3 years but that doesn't necessarily mean that is when deliveries will start happening and who knows what the launch models will be. I did this before on a different vehicle and held out for the newer model instead of just buying the current model and enjoying it. Huge mistake and I'll never do it again. Not to mention it's usually a mistake to buy the first year of a new model in any car...
Old 03-24-2017, 09:19 AM
911seeker
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

I understand cars depreciate, but it is perfectly fine to try and mitigate the effect on your wallet. Buy preowned and hold for long and you enjoy as much as the next guy for half the cost...
Old 03-24-2017, 09:40 AM
c_Gio
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

No used. Get the best car you like/can afford new. Easy.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 991.2 vs 992