Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2017 targa vs cab

Old 03-21-2017, 08:54 AM
montysir
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2017 targa vs cab

Hello everyone from Abu Dhabi, UAE! (next to Dubai,UAE)

Just joined today and looking to order and own a Porsche for the first time, and would like some help deciding between the 2017 targa vs cab. Im interested more in ride comfort and open air experience than performance so im looking at the basic models, in addition to limiting my spending.

i) Forgive my inexperience, but is this called the 991.2?

ii) Please advise on the open air experience comparison between the targa and the cab if there is that much of a difference top down, and the wind noise level top up. I think we can all agree the targa looks much better.

iii) Sport tex seats 4 way vs 18 way. Dealer advised to go for the 4 way instead to save money but didnt really explain what options i would be giving up.

Some info to know:

- Living in the gulf, so top down weather is 3 - 4 months a year, and summer temp reaches up to 50 degrees celsius (about 120 F)
- Going for the MT even though i might be of a very small minority driving a Porsche manual in the country and resale will be very difficult.
- Colours: night blue exterior and grahphite crayon interior
(currently driving 09 Infiniti G37 MT that i had to import from the US since Infiniti dealer only sells Auto Transmission)
- Talking to local sales hasnt given me much confidence in their ability to help with my decisions, so im hoping you guys can help out.

Thanks!
Old 03-21-2017, 09:26 AM
Al.Fresco
Three Wheelin'

Received 327 Likes on 187 Posts

Welcome to Rennlist.

I may have a slight bias, but I would say the Targa. The primary driver behind that recommendation is your comment about top down weather being 3-4 months a year, and summer temps reaching 120 F. I am guessing you will find opportunities to drop the Targa top when perhaps you would decide not to drop the Cab top. An example would be mornings and evenings on those crazy hot summer days, where with the full Cab top down, you still may get baked by the sun, where in the Targa, perhaps the Targa bar and rear window provide you with a bit of protection from morning/evening angled direct sun, but still affording you a top down experience at least for a little while during that time of the year (albeit perhaps with the air conditioning cranking at the same time ). With the top up, which will be the majority of your driving from the sounds of it, the Targa has much improved visibility out the rear vs the Cab which is a plus.

As for open air experience in the Targa....I love it. Have had Cabs (not P Cabs) in the past, and I actually prefer the Targa. And with the top up, its very quiet, and as mentioned above, has great visibility out the rear, which is a plus if you deal with any city commuting.

And as you mentioned in your initial post, the Targa is a damn nice looking ride!!!

Good luck with your decision, you really can't go wrong with either.
Old 03-21-2017, 10:12 AM
TorqueChap
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Welcome! I'm also biased to the targa. Rare, gorgeous. What's not to love?
Old 03-21-2017, 11:56 AM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,225 Likes on 771 Posts

Originally Posted by montysir
I think we can all agree the targa looks much better.
I'm afraid not. I think the cab looks better.

Don't get me wrong, I think the targa looks great, but I prefer the cabriolet, especially in the 991 series. In the older cars, I agree that the targa looks better.

You really need to drive both before you decide. If you really want an open air experience, then there is no substitute for the cabriolet. It's important to note that the cabriolet experience is very different when driving with the windows down and the wind deflector down than it is with the windows up and the wind deflector up.

The other nice thing about the 991 series cars is that the cabriolet roof is essentially a fabric covered hard top. When it's closed, it is very quiet and well insulated. This might be nice compared to a huge glass rear window on those super hot days.

All that being said, if you prefer the looks of the targa that much, then you may be unhappy with a cabriolet.
The following users liked this post:
GVIFlyer (04-09-2020)
Old 03-21-2017, 12:11 PM
TJ911
Track Day

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you are going to have the top up a lot, get the Targa. Visibility is so much better and it's rare and beautiful. As you can see below, I have the Targa you desire on order (though with PDK). Build date is in 3 weeks!
Attached Images  
Old 03-21-2017, 01:21 PM
TAL2GK
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Cab owner here and I love it. Top up it is much quieter than my previous Z4. Yes, it's a soft top, but it has solid panels so it has a solid feel. Visibility is much better than you might expect with the top up, and of course, fantastic with it down. The looks of the cabriolet are iconic with the top down. And with the top up I have zero rattles. I'm not sure if that can be said from multiple reports of the targa.

One other thing to consider about the targa in Dubai is the enormous greenhouse. It's going to get very hot in the cabin even with the roof up.

As for the manual transmission, I also have that and it is fantastic. Yes, it is the less common option, but one you will be happy with. Don't spend this much money to buy what the next owner wants. Buy what you want. While there won't be as many people looking at your used car whenever you sell it, that isn't a problem. You don't need to appeal to the masses, you need to appeal to one person. And that one person will have been looking for a manual and will have fewer options to compare to yours.
Old 03-21-2017, 01:23 PM
TAL2GK
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The following users liked this post:
GVIFlyer (04-09-2020)
Old 03-21-2017, 01:47 PM
hinckley
Three Wheelin'

Received 253 Likes on 144 Posts

Originally Posted by montysir
i) Forgive my inexperience, but is this called the 991.2?

ii) Please advise on the open air experience comparison between the targa and the cab if there is that much of a difference top down, and the wind noise level top up. I think we can all agree the targa looks much better.

iii) Sport tex seats 4 way vs 18 way. Dealer advised to go for the 4 way instead to save money but didnt really explain what options i would be giving up.
i) Yes. The .2 represents the facelifted 991. It was introduced just over a year ago.

iii) I think most of us think the 18-way seats are far superior, but all Porsche seats are good, and the 4-way seats are a good place to save some money.

ii) Of course, cab drivers prefer cabs, and targa drivers prefer targas. No surprise. I'm a cab driver and although I love the look of the targa, I don't know why targa owners would compromise on the open air experience just for the beauty of the targa. Also, I believe that there's a bit more top-down wind buffeting in the targa than the cab. Finally, the targa roof cannot be moved up and down while the car is moving. In my circumstance, I'd really hate that. On the flip side, the poster above makes a very strong point for the targa in your circumstance. The rearward visibility is not great with the cab top up, and if you're driving your new 911 that way for 8+ months each year, the targa may be the better choice for you. It's top-up visibility is the best of the lineup for sure.
Old 03-21-2017, 04:13 PM
PantsFire
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

If I was choosing I'd go with a Targa, one of the most distinctive and stylish Porsches going.
Old 03-21-2017, 05:55 PM
Speed2000
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The Targa is all wheel drive so its going to cost more. Difference is around $7000 here in the US so you could add a lot more options to the cab and still come out cheaper. Don't forget to check sport exhaust first!
Old 03-21-2017, 06:38 PM
NVRANUF
Rennlist Member

Received 460 Likes on 257 Posts

+1 Cab.... all day long!
I have to think long term, a Targa may present more rattles and wind noise due to it's design. That would be bothersome.
Old 03-22-2017, 12:25 PM
Werks 1
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

TARGA.......The lines on the TARGA make the car look very "retro"........The new cab does not look as sharp...IMHO........I had a 1989 Turbo Cab....loved it...but the Targa top gives you the same feeling with the top down and better visibility when its up.....
Old 03-23-2017, 12:01 PM
Keadog
Rennlist Member

Received 1,010 Likes on 607 Posts

I went back and forth, ending up with a Targa because 1) it looks cool to me, 2) they don't make many (although some would say, perhaps correctly, that's demand driven) and 3) I always wanted one but never wanted to deal with manually storing the top (yes, very lazy).
Biggest drawback I imagine (since car is months away) is not being able to put top up and down while moving. That was almost a deal breaker for me, but my son convinced me to go for it. Time will tell. Really liked the SmartTOP/Boxster combo.
Old 03-23-2017, 12:13 PM
kayjh
Drifting

Received 681 Likes on 475 Posts

Not helpful but, I got a coupe. I'd do anything to reduce the squeals and rattles in a car and that seemed the easiest. So, if that type of noise is a consideration, I'd opt for the car that is tightest in that regard.
Old 03-24-2017, 01:49 AM
Dewinator
Drifting

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

Are you serious? Unless you're driving around at 4am in February, Abu Dhabi is never comfortable for top-down motoring.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2017 targa vs cab