Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

991.2 base has been on dealer lot for a year. Fair price?

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2017, 12:01 AM
midwestamv8
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 991.2 base has been on dealer lot for a year. Fair price?

A local dealer has a base 991.2 '17 carrera that (according to car gurus) has been on their lot for a few days longer than a year. Probably produced in January 2016. It's a stripper build, few options, very low $100k msrp. The dealer has discounted it about $5k off MSRP on their site, but given that it's been on their lot for *a year*, I would suspect there is more discount to be had.

From what I've read, invoice is 90% of MSRP. This puts their invoice in the low $90k range. The largest discount I've seen in the threads I've searched for is about 23%, which was a two model-year old car with the warranty ticking if I remember. Probably wishful thinking and an outlier for the purpose of this conversation, but would I be out of line asking for a 15% discount off MSRP on this car? Everything I read says once the car hes been around for 90 days, dealers get squirrely. Well, this has sat for four times as long. Can anyone give me some tips for negotiating over a car like this? When do the 2018's hit the lot? Would it be likely there are PCNA incentives for the dealer to move this car? Any tips for what discount is likely possible on an inventory car like this would be tremendously helpful.
Old 03-19-2017, 02:53 PM
Chris C.
Rennlist Member

Received 537 Likes on 282 Posts

As soon as you drive it off the lot you will lose 15-25%, more as MY 2018s rumors and plans build later this year as it tends to freeze the market.

To me that's what you're negotiating to offset - they likely have to pay floor plan financing to have it sit around, generally they will show it as sold and put it into the exec program to book the loss in another part of the ledger.

Make a good faith offer in the 15% range and see what happens!
Old 03-19-2017, 02:59 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,873 Likes on 1,903 Posts

Originally Posted by midwestamv8
A local dealer has a base 991.2 '17 carrera that (according to car gurus) has been on their lot for a few days longer than a year. Probably produced in January 2016. It's a stripper build, few options, very low $100k msrp. The dealer has discounted it about $5k off MSRP on their site, but given that it's been on their lot for *a year*, I would suspect there is more discount to be had.

From what I've read, invoice is 90% of MSRP. This puts their invoice in the low $90k range. The largest discount I've seen in the threads I've searched for is about 23%, which was a two model-year old car with the warranty ticking if I remember. .
I think you're referring to my car, but it was only a one year (15 month) old car and the warranty was NOT ticking. Warranty was punched when I purchased the car. 23% off sticker, but it was a very unusual, tough to sell build. All performance options, zero comfort/luxury options. If it had even a few basic comfort options, I think they discount would have been closer to 10-15 percent. Actually, it probably would have sold sooner, closer to 10 percent off.
Old 03-19-2017, 03:03 PM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Received 6,478 Likes on 2,816 Posts

How many miles on it? May have been used as a demo car. Which are hard miles - think redline on a cold engine.

Stripper build can be hard to move. A car sitting on the lot that long - you have all the leverage in the world.

Not sure if Porsche does dealer hold-back, which could be a few points -- this is not typically calculated in the invoice price. So there is could be more room than you think.

Is it a manual? If there are some miles on the car, you may want to think about getting a DME report on over-rev. Has the oil been changed? If it's been a year, the dealer needs to do that now, on his dime.

Keep in mind warranty only kicks in once the (new) car is sold, regardless of how old it is.

You probably won't get 20% off, but it wouldn't hurt pushing it. 15% is very reasonable to start.
Old 03-19-2017, 03:27 PM
midwestamv8
Advanced

Thank you all so far for the tips. I have not seen the car in person and I assume the pictures were taken a year back on delivery, so I don't know how many miles are currently on the car or whether it was used in the meantime as a demo. I will be sure to request a DME as I assume there are several hundred miles on it by now at a minimum. Also, oil change and battery are two other things I will ask for, as well as whether or not the warranty has been punched - if so, it was likely punched back in 2016, so it's another negotiating point or potential justification for CPO.

Car is a manual with 12k in options. Paint and wheels are over 4k of that, the rest is 14 ways, prem package, lane change, bose and sunroof.
Old 03-19-2017, 04:10 PM
The Fat Kid
Pro

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by rk-d
How many miles on it? May have been used as a demo car. Which are hard miles - think redline on a cold engine.

Stripper build can be hard to move. A car sitting on the lot that long - you have all the leverage in the world.

Not sure if Porsche does dealer hold-back, which could be a few points -- this is not typically calculated in the invoice price. So there is could be more room than you think.

Is it a manual? If there are some miles on the car, you may want to think about getting a DME report on over-rev. Has the oil been changed? If it's been a year, the dealer needs to do that now, on his dime.

Keep in mind warranty only kicks in once the (new) car is sold, regardless of how old it is.

You probably won't get 20% off, but it wouldn't hurt pushing it. 15% is very reasonable to start.
The dealer can punch the warranty before it is sold (starting the clock), and still sell it as "new". One of the many lessons learned in HFS 101

OP - Post the VIN and someone can pull the build sheet, which will usually show if/when the warranty was punched. PM me the VIN if you don't want it posted.

Regarding price - 20% off; bigger discount if warranty punched.
Old 03-19-2017, 04:14 PM
midwestamv8
Advanced

Originally Posted by The Fat Kid
The dealer can punch the warranty before it is sold (starting the clock), and still sell it as "new". One of the many lessons learned in HFS 101

OP - Post the VIN and someone can pull the build sheet, which will usually show if/when the warranty was punched. PM me the VIN if you don't want it posted.

Regarding price - 20% off; bigger discount if warranty punched.
Awesome, thank you. PM sent
Old 03-19-2017, 04:22 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Don't assume the warranty has been punched until they tell you. Not all leftover cars were punched early.

I strongly doubt that you're going to get 20% off a base model unless there's a story behind it.
Old 03-19-2017, 04:34 PM
The Fat Kid
Pro

Awesome, thank you. PM sent
Just in case you did not get my response: The warranty was punched March 30, 2016.

Good luck!
Old 03-19-2017, 04:34 PM
midwestamv8
Advanced

Originally Posted by Archimedes
Don't assume the warranty has been punched until they tell you. Not all leftover cars were punched early.

I strongly doubt that you're going to get 20% off a base model unless there's a story behind it.
Just heard back from The Fat Kid. Warranty was punched end of March 2016. One whole year gone.
Old 03-19-2017, 04:45 PM
The Fat Kid
Pro

Originally Posted by Archimedes

I am used to looking at heavily optioned .1 CPOs, so you could be correct regarding less-than 20% off a .2 stripper.

OP - Keep in mind that you would have a lot of great 991.1 CPO options with your budget.
Old 03-19-2017, 04:47 PM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Just heard back from The Fat Kid. Warranty was punched end of March 2016. One whole year gone.
Pass.

I wouldn't buy a car like that without CPO. Which you cannot get on a "new" car. Which is stretching the definition on this car.

I bet the thing has been rode hard and put up wet. Paint is probably swirled and hologram'ed to death. Oil has not been changed. Etc, etc.
Old 03-19-2017, 04:51 PM
midwestamv8
Advanced

Pass.

I wouldn't buy a car like that without CPO. Which you cannot get on a "new" car. Which is stretching the definition on this car.

I bet the thing has been rode hard and put up wet. Paint is probably swirled and hologram'ed to death. Oil has not been changed. Etc, etc.
I had read that you CAN get CPO on cars like this. But I only plan on owning it for a year, two tops, so I'd rather have the discount than the extra warranty I won't use (can they even be transferred? I didn't think so...).

I know buying a new car and trading it in 12-18 months later isn't ideal, but that's why this car is potentially attractive if I can get it for around or less than $80k...
Old 03-19-2017, 05:00 PM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

I had read that you CAN get CPO on cars like this. But I only plan on owning it for a year, two tops, so I'd rather have the discount than the extra warranty I won't use (can they even be transferred? I didn't think so...).

I know buying a new car and trading it in 12-18 months later isn't ideal, but that's why this car is potentially attractive if I can get it for around or less than $80k...
If they are willing to CPO, that would be nice, but if you expect a quick turnaround then yeah - go for the discount. If you plan to flip within the warranty period, then alot of these mechanical condition concerns are not as big a deal.

I'd be surprised if they sold it for $80k, but if they did, it would be an absolute steal (assuming no red flags).
Old 03-19-2017, 06:41 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Pass.

Warranty punching has nothing to do with mileage or use. I bought a left over Cayman S that had been punched almost a year earlier and it had fewer miles than a left over Carrera S that hadn't even been punched. Without knowing the actual miles and use (i.e., demo or not), one can't draw any conclusions about how it has been used.

Quick Reply: 991.2 base has been on dealer lot for a year. Fair price?