Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trade a 2016 C4S for a 2014 GT3?

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2017, 03:02 AM
Porscheforever
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Are you comfortable with getting a lot of attention? The GT3 will attract more attention, much more than C4S. Practicability aside, if you want the GT3, dream it, then you should get it! IMHO

PF
Old 03-18-2017, 11:10 AM
NoGaBiker
Drifting

Received 228 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by captainkirk
GT3 Wing can't be removed unless you do lots of modifications. The Wing has the third brake light underneath it. Even if you remove the wing, the pillars which support it on the sides will be sticking out.

Cops will give ticket in all states if third brake light is not there.
I don't pretend to be an expert, but seems to me like one could simply remove the entire engine cover, replace with a Carrera cover with or without ducktails, wings, or whatever, and use the 3rd brake light that comes with Carreras, which mounts in the grill. The wiring would need to be shorter, so simply coil the extra up somewhere out of sight so it's available when you sell and put the GT3 deck lid back on.

Now, if somehow the GT3 rear fenders or back valance are different so that a Carrera deck lid won't fit, then I agree with you; this becomes a big problem. But otherwise, it seems fairly trivial and, in the world of modern Porsche modifications, pretty cheap.
Old 03-18-2017, 11:12 PM
Johnny5Alive
Burning Brakes

Received 299 Likes on 127 Posts

Wow what a great group of guys! Thanks for all the feedback!

So today was the day we went to the dealer. On the drive there, my wife came along in full support of whatever I decide. Today is unseasonably warm, and I asked her if she was hot as I reached down and turned on the cooling seat for her. It was then that it hit me: the luxuries of the 4S have become ingrained in our commute. I'd miss that part.

Still we continued on, and upon arrival, the GT3 was waiting, and for good measure, a carmine red GTS 2016. Both were beautiful. After spending some serious time with both and much deliberation, the sales manager pulled me aside and whispered "your 4S is an amazing car. Keep it."

Meanwhile my wife was in the cafe area watching YouTube videos learning more about the gt3. Of course the .2 gt3 videos are top search results and as I go to retrieve her she says "you should wait and get the new GT3. By the time it's available you'd be able to keep the 4S and get the new one. And I want European delivery. It will be our 2018-2019 goal"

Damn. I love this woman.

I thanked the sales manager who has become a good friend for a great afternoon, and we agreed to table the conversation for another day.

I hope my experience can be helpful to others. It's an amazing feeling that when you drive a 911 whether a GT3, turbo S, RS or just a base-- you win.

By the way here's the owner of the dealerships 911R, and the car we kept.

Old 03-19-2017, 12:02 AM
CSK 911 C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 802 Likes on 400 Posts

Good to hear. Your car looks fantastic.
Old 03-19-2017, 12:30 AM
mdork
Instructor

Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts

Have been wrestling with this as well and this thread has been a good sanity check. Glad you sorted out what works best for you. I suspect my agate C4S will be with me a while longer as well.
Old 03-19-2017, 07:45 AM
tstafford
Race Car

Received 1,083 Likes on 621 Posts

I think made the right call.
Old 03-19-2017, 08:11 AM
randr
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Good decision
Old 03-19-2017, 09:38 AM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,118 Likes on 667 Posts

Your wife is a keeper -- even I love her and I don't even know her
Old 03-19-2017, 02:30 PM
Johnny5Alive
Burning Brakes

Received 299 Likes on 127 Posts

Thanks!

Yes my wife is pretty rad. When we were in college she drove an S2000.

She drives a Ford Raptor now, and the 911 now and then.
Old 03-19-2017, 03:03 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,858 Likes on 1,902 Posts

Another vote for good decision.
Old 03-19-2017, 07:05 PM
Driven991
Racer

Received 91 Likes on 36 Posts

Great Read..thanks OP. Really wanted a GT car when I got my .2 C2S but I need back seats...kids and I am not sure I want the .1 GT3 with the engine issues surrounding it. Perhaps someday. Love the sound of the GT3 on the track
Old 03-19-2017, 08:28 PM
philipatl
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds like you have made a very good decision. The answer completely depends on your needs, driving habits, daily driving, etc. However; it seems I'm in the minority here..but I traded a 2016 GTS for a GT3 and have never looked back. Very different cars and trust me, I love going to get groceries now!!

Old 03-20-2017, 05:08 AM
Tapeworm
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I traded a 2013 C4S for a 2014 GT3 and I daily drove both. To me, the GT3 is all about the engine. The regular 991.1 engine never felt that great to me, it's power delivery at low revs was rough and it could be caught out struggling at low revs in the wrong gear. The engine had obvious steps in its power curve and was most fun right at the top of the rev range, but because of long gearing, you didn't get to enjoy this often enough on the road.

The GT3 engine feels much more special at all revs. It *never* feels like you hit a flat spot, or are lugging at low revs. The gearing is much shorter, and the car weighs ~200+lbs less, so it feels much more lively. The smoothness of the engine is amazing as well, it just pulls so much harder with each rev, it's addictive. The engine has plenty of power, even at low revs, but between 5000 and 9000, the intensity and sound is just amazing.

I do miss the AWD occasionally, especially in the wet - the stock cup 2's are not very forgiving in the wet either. In the dry and above 45 degrees, it's not an issue and I don't miss the AWD.

No rear seats is a pain, I wish they were an option. I have a 9 and 6 year old and both love riding in the car as they get to ride in the front seat. I just can't take both at once...

The wing you get use to for the first few months you see it over your shoulder and think it's another car. It does block headlights, which I like, and I do think it looks awesome.

The steering feel is way better in the GT3 - it has much more 'meat' and grip feel. I tend to drive with the paddles all the time in the GT3, the paddles feel much better, it's just a stiffer spring, but they make the 991.1 paddles feel like toys. The sport and sport+ modes in the C4S I miss a bit. The auto is not as smooth in the GT3, but the paddle shifting is so much fun and feels great, I just don't use auto as much.

The exhaust 'burbles' on the C4S were pretty cool and these are completely gone on the GT3 - but the engine itself sounds so much better - I do miss the 'theatrics' slowing to a stop though.

I don't worry about the engine, mine was replaced, so has the longer warranty and I expect it's as reliable as any other Porsche engine at this point.

The new GT3 with manual, more hp and car play is tempting, but not ~$60k that it might take for me to upgrade. There will *always* be a newer, faster model of all cars, the trick is buying one you love and keeping it as long as possible.
Old 03-20-2017, 08:57 AM
Shawn C
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

I made the same decision as well. I live in FL so the air-con seats are awesome. The AWD is amazing in the rain, I have 2 kids I like to take with me once and a while. I am a track guy but I realized after tracking my cars over the years a few seconds at a DE will not garner me any sponsorship, trophies, cash or prizes lol. I am sure some will flame me for this but I do not see the reason to spend $45K more for "Almost" the same car, I use the term "almost" in terms of street use. The GT3 was designed to be a track weapon and I do not see the use for street and work commuting unless you live near some amazing roads. I don't.. Lol .The occasional track day in the 4S is allot less tiring than it was in my full blown Exige race car. I am looking at buying a track car or possibly an Radical or Van Diemen in the future or some kind of race car which will usually run circles around any road car on the track anyway. I think you made the right choice as well. I think for me if I move up it will be to a 991.2 GTS.

Quick Reply: Trade a 2016 C4S for a 2014 GT3?