Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trade a 2016 C4S for a 2014 GT3?

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2017, 12:32 PM
Johnny5Alive
Burning Brakes

Received 299 Likes on 127 Posts

Yes! My thoughts as well, regarding the wing. I think someone in Finland did just that. Would be awesome to put the normal electric spoiler on and keep it retracted for the street!

Regarding modding the C4S, I can't imagine a slight drop, wheels, and a few reversible mods to sharpen up the car would ruin resale. Particularly because I would part the car out and return to stock before selling.
Old 03-17-2017, 12:38 PM
skiahh
Rennlist Member

Received 129 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by CSK 911 C4S
If you live in Vegas..... go big or go home.

On the GT-3's can the wing be removed for daily driving so the car looks more like the 911R.

I'm personally not a wing fan but if it could be removed and installed when the aero is needed I might be a convert.
There is a lot to be said for go big, or go home. Especially in Vegas But in the end, I'd opt for a Cayman GT4 for pure fun if that's what you're after, in something that could also be a DD.

I agree with you on the wings. I don't like the huge wings (on any car) and it's probably not something I'd buy.

OP mentioned kids eventually riding along, so I think down the road, you'll want those back seats. Keep the C4S. Plot for a track car if that's what you're after. Or, since you're in Vegas, calculate how many hours worth of high performance track sessions you could get for the cost of that GT3!

Last edited by skiahh; 03-17-2017 at 10:39 PM.
Old 03-17-2017, 12:43 PM
3Series
Three Wheelin'

Received 89 Likes on 66 Posts

On the GT-3's can the wing be removed for daily driving so the car looks more like the 911R.

I'm personally not a wing fan but if it could be removed and installed when the aero is needed I might be a convert.

Someone asked that before about the huge wing but I don't think anything was definitive. Of course anything is possible with the right amount of money. However, I'm in the camp that a GT3 is ridiculous looking for a daily driver or street car.

With that said, the GT3 will always be more valuable than a C4S and will have greater demand. Lower production numbers support that and the fact that track guys will always want to buy a GT3 over a C4S.

2014 engines blowing up is also a concern. But yeah, if you want a GT3 now, buy it. There will always be something better that comes out.
Old 03-17-2017, 12:58 PM
n2cars
Three Wheelin'

Received 233 Likes on 133 Posts

I wouldn't touch the GT3 with a ten foot pole especially with all the engine problems. Keep the one you have.
Old 03-17-2017, 01:19 PM
phow
Pro

Received 200 Likes on 108 Posts

I was in a similar situation a few months ago. I had my eye on a 991.1 GT3 and was looking to replace the R35 GTR I just sold.

^ I ran the new car choice past the boss (wife) and she made a very good observation that ultimately shifted my direction. She simply asked me "how often did you really get to use the GTR's performance?"

This gave me a moment of pause and I really had to reflect on the past year of ownership. Other than some spirited driving on the highway, the GTR hadn't seen the track and I definitely had no desire to do any mods that would extract more power. The GTR was just too much car for my daily life and driving style. As much as I told myself otherwise, I really did hate the noise and unrefined cabin of the GTR.

Now I know the GT3 is a much better car overall when compared to the GTR but there are still some similarities to both in terms of daily livability and focus on performance.

I decided to start looking at the less powerful Carrera models (C2S and C2GTS). I ended up going with a very nicely specced 991.1 C2S. Overall, I'm very happy I went this route. The C2S offers more than enough drama when I want it but still is very livable when I've had a long day and just need to get from A to B without hassle.

After reading your initial post, I really feel like you answered your own question. I vote that you keep the C4S and do a few mods. Now if you were complaining about a lack of power/performance and this wasn't your daily driver, I would definitely suggest considering the GT3 even if it is a few years older.
Old 03-17-2017, 01:31 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,858 Likes on 1,902 Posts

I'd only consider a '14 GT3 at a fire sale price. I certainly wouldn't pay top dollar for one. And I wouldn't replace a DD with a GT3.
Old 03-17-2017, 02:43 PM
kayjh
Drifting

Received 684 Likes on 478 Posts

A friend had a GT3, traded for a 2017 C4S and now has a 2017 Turbo S. I think the Turbo S is the best of both worlds for the street. More comfortable and plenty of performance. Don't think he spends much time on the track though. If I wasn't up in that price range, for my daily driver use, I'd be happier in a C4S.
Old 03-17-2017, 02:58 PM
WheelsB
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 949 Likes on 479 Posts

With the right choice of HRE's you will never question your choice of keeping the C4S ever again. Would be happy to help you configure the perfect look for you and yours.

Wheels Boutique // 786 249 0127 // Sales@wheelsboutique.com
Follow us on YouTube: www.youtube.com/user/WheelsBoutique
Largest Dealer In The World for HRE Wheels, ANRKY Wheels, Vorsteiner Wheels & Aero, Akrapovic Exhaust, & iPE Exhaust
BBS, Forgeline, & TechArt Premium Dealer
Brembo / Rotiform / KW / H&R / Novitec / Brabus / Mansory and tons more...
Old 03-17-2017, 03:17 PM
Dewinator
Drifting

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

Why did you buy the C4S?

I love the grip of the "4" and the all weather capability.

That would be enough for me to stay in the C4S.
IMO AWD is useful on the the track but doesn't really add any adverse weather capability for just driving around as a daily driver... cornering in the wet at a given constant speed is the same you just can't use as much exit throttle like you would on a track, and in the snow braking is what really matters so unless you have true snow tires, you're can't safely drive in the snow anyway. I've seen a lot of idiots (including one in a Hummer) wreck at Tahoe because they think their AWD magically adds grip in the snow.
Old 03-17-2017, 03:33 PM
captainkirk
Pro

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

GT3 Wing can't be removed unless you do lots of modifications. The Wing has the third brake light underneath it. Even if you remove the wing, the pillars which support it on the sides will be sticking out.

Cops will give ticket in all states if third brake light is not there.

Now Gt3 RS is a different story, just remove the wing, and then it has similar appearance to a ducktail with the third brakelight on it. Gt3RS can made to look like a 911R easily but Gt3 probably not.
Old 03-17-2017, 11:14 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 10,795 Likes on 4,779 Posts

I daily a 991.1 GT3.

Have been doing it for 2+ years.

It's a fantastic daily, YMMV.
Old 03-18-2017, 12:50 AM
crossroads
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I did exactly what you're thinking but with the 997 model. Went from a 997.2 C4GTS to a 997.1 GT3. The GT3 is basically a factory hotrod designed for one purpose: on a race track. People who drive them on the street are poseurs. I can say that because I was one. The car is not happy under 4K rpms. Scrapes every speed bump and it'll bruise your kidneys on most American roadways. That being said, it is an awesome machine. And if you have the means, you should definitely get one.

Don't take my word, experience it yourself. And if you do get one, you have to take it to the track and drive it like it is meant to be driven.

I now have a 991 C4S cab and couldn't be happier. When the top goes down, life just gets a little better. Do I miss the GT3? Yes, but not enough to trade for my cab.
Old 03-18-2017, 01:11 AM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

Received 1,188 Likes on 631 Posts

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
I daily a 991.1 GT3.

Have been doing it for 2+ years.

It's a fantastic daily, YMMV.
Agre with ipse,

I too have been daily driving my 991.1 GT3 for a couple years, no problem. For me the GT3 is the modern version of what the 911 used to be, a car equally at home on the track, on backroads drive, on a date, or driving to the office.

With 991 version, the Carrera is much better at those last two items than the first two. The 991 GT3 is louder and stiffer than a Carrera, but still a very doable daily driver, that is 5x more fun on the backroads, or the track than a Carrera.

However, getting back to the OPs question, I don't think the GT3 is right for you, mainly because of your kids, and if you work with clients that may question the wing.

I own my own business, but don't need to impress anyone with my car, so I can drive what I like, and I don't have kids for the back seat, so the 991 GT3 is perfect for me.
Old 03-18-2017, 01:19 AM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Drifting
Agre with ipse,

I too have been daily driving my 991.1 GT3 for a couple years, no problem. For me the GT3 is the modern version of what the 911 used to be, a car equally at home on the track, on backroads drive, on a date, or driving to the office.

With 991 version, the Carrera is much better at those last two items than the first two. The 991 GT3 is louder and stiffer than a Carrera, but still a very doable daily driver, that is 5x more fun on the backroads, or the track than a Carrera.

However, getting back to the OPs question, I don't think the GT3 is right for you, mainly because of your kids, and if you work with clients that may question the wing.

I own my own business, but don't need to impress anyone with my car, so I can drive what I like, and I don't have kids for the back seat, so the 991 GT3 is perfect for me.
I do work with clients, and when I do, I use a rental.

So much easier. No need to explain, justify, look sheepish, or whatever.

In my line of work, there probably isn't a Porsche that I would feel completely comfortable driving to/from a client's office, or much less driving with a client.

Again, YMMV.
Old 03-18-2017, 01:22 AM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by crossroads
I did exactly what you're thinking but with the 997 model. Went from a 997.2 C4GTS to a 997.1 GT3. The GT3 is basically a factory hotrod designed for one purpose: on a race track. People who drive them on the street are poseurs. I can say that because I was one. The car is not happy under 4K rpms. Scrapes every speed bump and it'll bruise your kidneys on most American roadways. That being said, it is an awesome machine. And if you have the means, you should definitely get one.

Don't take my word, experience it yourself. And if you do get one, you have to take it to the track and drive it like it is meant to be driven.

I now have a 991 C4S cab and couldn't be happier. When the top goes down, life just gets a little better. Do I miss the GT3? Yes, but not enough to trade for my cab.
For what it's worth, the 997 GT3 is a much different creature than the 991 iteration. The latter is much more livable, some even complain of it as being "soft" and too much of a GT car. [shrug]

Is the 991 GT3 as livable as a 991 911? No, of course not. But is it as harsh and Spartan of a daily cruiser as the 997 GT3? Again, of course not.

Quick Reply: Trade a 2016 C4S for a 2014 GT3?