Gts discounts?

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2018, 08:29 PM
Hurricane
Race Car

Received 698 Likes on 317 Posts

Originally Posted by uury
Hi All,

I'm looking at a MY18 Targa GTS custom order, and my local dealer is telling me that they won't go below MSRP. Has anyone else ordered a Targa GTS recently? If so, how did you fare?
Which local dealer?
Old 02-12-2018, 09:43 PM
Terrence
Burning Brakes

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

Discounts??? My local dealers don't even have one. They are looking to trade and get allocations from other dealers. And Targa is actually the easiest GTS to get.
Old 02-12-2018, 09:59 PM
JP Manor
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Porsche's marketing plan to elevate their product line by limiting production is coming to together nicely. First the GT3.... Now the GTS.... and even the "T" apparently?

Old 02-12-2018, 10:20 PM
uury
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Hurricane

Which local dealer?
I'd rather not name names -- the dealer's been great so far otherwise, and I don't want this to come across as public criticism should they read it. Rather, I'm just not sure what market pricing looks like (it's my first 911), and want to validate the statement that people are indeed paying MSRP with some data.
Old 02-12-2018, 10:56 PM
CombatChuk
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 11 Posts

I picked up my 991.2 RWD Coupe GTS almost three weeks ago, it took days of back and forth and I got 4% off on a custom order. However, I ordered back in June last year (PTS in Riviera Blue). Talking with my SA, he told me that allocations are so tight now that if you even get one there's no discount whatsover.
Old 02-13-2018, 09:12 AM
Hurricane
Race Car

Received 698 Likes on 317 Posts

Old 02-13-2018, 10:08 AM
m5biemer
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 17 Posts

My local dealer, last August, zero discount on an ordered GTS. They have several in stock now but not sure if they're offering discounts or not. We got about 8% on a 2017 GTS from dealer stock, not my local dealer though. It pays to shop around.
Old 02-13-2018, 12:05 PM
Class5Kayaker
Pro

Received 213 Likes on 99 Posts

Serious question, I don't know the GTS nuances like the back of my hand, just going off my general knowledge from when Porsche first started producing them towards the end of a model's run:

With so many dealers only willing to negotiate little to nothing from MSRP on a GTS, does it make more sense to order an "S" spec'd like a GTS and negotiate a decent discount? I thought the whole purpose of the GTS was to bundle together "drivers' options" as standard equipment and at a slight savings over ordering the options individually.
Old 02-13-2018, 01:18 PM
Avalon911
Racer

Received 60 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Class5Kayaker
Serious question, I don't know the GTS nuances like the back of my hand, just going off my general knowledge from when Porsche first started producing them towards the end of a model's run:

With so many dealers only willing to negotiate little to nothing from MSRP on a GTS, does it make more sense to order an "S" spec'd like a GTS and negotiate a decent discount? I thought the whole purpose of the GTS was to bundle together "drivers' options" as standard equipment and at a slight savings over ordering the options individually.
I thought quite a bit about building an S to GTS specs when I saw how slim the GTS allocations were. The problem was, if I really made the cars "comparable" (wheels, powerkit, sport design, etc), the MSRP on the S came in a good bit higher than the GTS, which really offsets (at a minimum) any assumed difference in discount. And some might think the GTS will hold it's value a little better than the S, but that is arguable.
Old 02-13-2018, 02:12 PM
Class5Kayaker
Pro

Received 213 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by Avalon911
I thought quite a bit about building an S to GTS specs when I saw how slim the GTS allocations were. The problem was, if I really made the cars "comparable" (wheels, powerkit, sport design, etc), the MSRP on the S came in a good bit higher than the GTS, which really offsets (at a minimum) any assumed difference in discount. And some might think the GTS will hold it's value a little better than the S, but that is arguable.
Thanks for the response!
Old 02-14-2018, 10:19 AM
DaveGee
Rennlist Member

Received 480 Likes on 269 Posts

That’s exactly what I did when I configured my Targa. GTS allocations are really slim, plus I’m not a fan of the blacked out details or alcantara, so by the time I spec’d it out the way I wanted it (including the Powerkit) the C4S price was about the same as the GTS.

As far as future values, pfft. There are so many variables when selling a used car, not the least of which is what the buyer is willing to pay, I’m not not going to worry about it.

DaveGee
Old 02-14-2018, 11:20 AM
Avalon911
Racer

Received 60 Likes on 31 Posts

"As far as future values, pfft. There are so many variables when selling a used car, not the least of which is what the buyer is willing to pay, I’m not not going to worry about it".

Agreed.
Old 02-14-2018, 02:51 PM
fast1
Race Car

Received 221 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveGee
That’s exactly what I did when I configured my Targa. GTS allocations are really slim, plus I’m not a fan of the blacked out details or alcantara, so by the time I spec’d it out the way I wanted it (including the Powerkit) the C4S price was about the same as the GTS.

As far as future values, pfft. There are so many variables when selling a used car, not the least of which is what the buyer is willing to pay, I’m not not going to worry about it.

DaveGee
The value of anything is what someone is willing to pay you for what you are selling and not what you think it's worth or what someone on the internet who is not a buyer believe it's worth. As a many decade owner of 911s, there is one certainty in getting the biggest bang for your buck: buy the car you want and keep it a long time. I've seen so many Porsche owners buy a compromise car, and then sell it within two years. In most cases that will be very costly.
Old 02-14-2018, 03:02 PM
LavaGTS
Banned

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by m5biemer
My local dealer, last August, zero discount on an ordered GTS. They have several in stock now but not sure if they're offering discounts or not. We got about 8% on a 2017 GTS from dealer stock, not my local dealer though. It pays to shop around.
This. Same here, got 10% off a dealer inventory. Had to shop around and go out of state. Well worth as $15K off is $15K off. Local dealers were doing 3-4% tops on plain jane builds. I got the build I wanted and some.

Enclosed transportation cost was only $1400 from Alabama to AZ and my car was the first one at the top in the truck. Normally enclosed transport was $2000 but since the dealer took their time they discounted me on shipping too.

If you're in no rush the ball is in your hands, play the game how you like and you'll get the deal you want. Make every dealer within several hundred miles compete with each other. I knew I had nailed a solid deal at 10% when no other dealer would match or beat.

Good luck to everyone.
Old 02-15-2018, 09:54 PM
Andial
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by uury
Hi All,

I'm looking at a MY18 Targa GTS custom order, and my local dealer is telling me that they won't go below MSRP. Has anyone else ordered a Targa GTS recently? If so, how did you fare?
Apparently allocations are hard to come by, but you might want to check out Porsche of Fresno instead.

Quick Reply: Gts discounts?