Sponsored by:

OT: Singer 911

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2017, 06:22 PM
PantsFire
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

What the fudge is in that mattress?!

We've got a custom order 200x200 Cloud 27 from Tempur and that cost $3k for the best nights sleep ever.
Old 03-07-2017, 06:42 PM
Greg D.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 278 Likes on 139 Posts

I've seen and admired some at Rennport type events... But recently there was one at the shop I use. all compartments open, so I got to check it out carefully, though respectfully... i think if you are mega-rich they make sense, time is money, you have $$, they customize it all to you. If you are a regular enthusiast that pays bills, my problem with it is they look like something a serious and talented enthusiast could do, but priced 2 or 3x more... I don't see the value there... I'm certain the work is there and they are art, but in person I was like "hmm, nice seats, nice materials for the trunks, OK" but nothing made me think this was half a mil worth of my money. For that $, I'd take a real early car and a 2018 991 GT3 and buy a macan Turbo for the groceries too.... It looked like a very well done hotrod 911. That Ed pink 4.0 is impressive for sure though ! But 1/2 a mil ? Nope.
Old 03-07-2017, 10:20 PM
sechsgang
Rennlist Member

Received 964 Likes on 458 Posts

There is no car, on the planet that I have ever enjoyed more, and there is no car company, on the planet that values customer service the way they do. The problem with owning a Singer is that it crushes the care for most other cars...it's THAT good. However, it absolutely comes at a stratospheric price, and that's definitely nothing to balk at, but with people now more and more willing to spend 250-300k on a new GT3 .2 or RS...you're not that far away from owning a car that you may very well NEVER tire of for the rest of your life. In a way you need to view it as a vacation house vs a car...and the investment value is arguably better
Old 03-08-2017, 11:32 AM
Grunty
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Greg D.
I've seen and admired some at Rennport type events... But recently there was one at the shop I use. all compartments open, so I got to check it out carefully, though respectfully... i think if you are mega-rich they make sense, time is money, you have $$, they customize it all to you. If you are a regular enthusiast that pays bills, my problem with it is they look like something a serious and talented enthusiast could do, but priced 2 or 3x more... I don't see the value there... I'm certain the work is there and they are art, but in person I was like "hmm, nice seats, nice materials for the trunks, OK" but nothing made me think this was half a mil worth of my money. For that $, I'd take a real early car and a 2018 991 GT3 and buy a macan Turbo for the groceries too.... It looked like a very well done hotrod 911. That Ed pink 4.0 is impressive for sure though ! But 1/2 a mil ? Nope.
huh? Show me one picture in the internet of an amateur effort that comes close to the level of quality of the interior and exterior of that car. Also, it has a purpose built cosworth engine, which is beyond the ability of any enthusiast resto-modder. Presumably the only reason cosworth makes that engine is specifically for singer.
Old 03-08-2017, 02:28 PM
JustBud
Race Car

Received 655 Likes on 378 Posts

Lottery win = Singer......pure artistry, artistic purity.
Old 03-08-2017, 02:56 PM
Hurricane
Race Car

Received 653 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by JustBud
Absolutely! A work of art...
Old 03-08-2017, 03:20 PM
dloines
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sechsgang
There is no car, on the planet that I have ever enjoyed more, and there is no car company, on the planet that values customer service the way they do. The problem with owning a Singer is that it crushes the care for most other cars...it's THAT good. However, it absolutely comes at a stratospheric price, and that's definitely nothing to balk at, but with people now more and more willing to spend 250-300k on a new GT3 .2 or RS...you're not that far away from owning a car that you may very well NEVER tire of for the rest of your life. In a way you need to view it as a vacation house vs a car...and the investment value is arguably better
comparing a Singer to a GT3 .3 911R or RS is really apple to oranges, those cars do everything better than a singer and will outperform it in ever category. Heck a 2000 Boxster with a 911 engine will most likely beat it around a race track and be more fun too.

I look at a singer like a old hand made rifle that the stock is carved out of the finest walnut or exotic wood you can find, the blueing on the metal parts is as deep as can be and ever part on the rifle is machined from a single billet of metal and hand fitted to fit perfectly. Now having said that, a new plastic and metal AR15 will do everything better than that old rifle, but which one would you hang over the fire place and sit and stare at day after day, doubt it would be the AR15....
Old 03-08-2017, 03:41 PM
CSK 911 C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 818 Likes on 408 Posts

would be a fun place to work.
Old 03-08-2017, 04:38 PM
KenTO
Burning Brakes

Received 524 Likes on 200 Posts
Smile

Or you could work harder
Old 03-08-2017, 04:51 PM
PantsFire
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by CSK 911 C4S
i would love to go their and just hang out and watch them work, there's something great about small precision engineering companies, the pride, the willingness to work, it probably doesn't even feel like work, "I'm off to do my hobby for the day"
Old 03-08-2017, 04:53 PM
porschedog
Rennlist Member

Received 315 Likes on 203 Posts

I've seen three Singers up close. They epitomize the term "amazing."

(yeah I know I'm not supposed to be in this section of RL, but I saw the topic and wanted to chime in)
Old 03-08-2017, 05:00 PM
Blu311
Burning Brakes

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Hurricane
If I ever won the lottery...a Singer would be in my garage...
Yes!

Originally Posted by rk-d
I don't really think of Singers as 911s. They are a wet-dream version of a 911. Long-nose with wide body and the guts of the 964 and motorsport bits here and there. Totally bespoke interior. At 4000 man-hours to build, it would appear to be worth the money. All indications are that it is an exquisitely made car, though I've never seen one.

Even if I could spend $500k on a single car, I wouldn't. I'd be too scared to drive the thing. A beautifully sorted and restored 993 Turbo, however, would be a lovely thing to own. Maybe one of these days...
Wait, maybe I would get a perfect 993 Turbo before a Singer...

Hell, I just won the lottery, I'll get both!
Old 03-08-2017, 05:12 PM
rxtrom
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I have seen one in person, but did not sit in it. The hood and engine bay were open, the windows down, and you can see and smell the details. It was incredible and more than a car but a functional piece of art and engineering. To answer the OPs question directly the sum value of the parts, materials, or time wrenching on the car does not add up to 500k. However if those customers took their 500k anywhere else they would not have a Singer. You are getting a vehicle buying experience like no other and paying for the expertise of Rob Dickinson and the people he has around him, his vendors, and relentless R&D.
To some that is worth 500k whether they can afford it or not, and I imagine for those who can that they do not question what else they should spend that 500k on.
Old 03-08-2017, 09:13 PM
sechsgang
Rennlist Member

Received 964 Likes on 458 Posts

Originally Posted by dloines
comparing a Singer to a GT3 .3 911R or RS is really apple to oranges, those cars do everything better than a singer and will outperform it in ever category. Heck a 2000 Boxster with a 911 engine will most likely beat it around a race track and be more fun too.

I look at a singer like a old hand made rifle that the stock is carved out of the finest walnut or exotic wood you can find, the blueing on the metal parts is as deep as can be and ever part on the rifle is machined from a single billet of metal and hand fitted to fit perfectly. Now having said that, a new plastic and metal AR15 will do everything better than that old rifle, but which one would you hang over the fire place and sit and stare at day after day, doubt it would be the AR15....
Since when does faster=better? This is more about what Singer has done to truly capture the pure enjoyment of driving a 911 in its most perfect form so to speak. Every second in a Singer is a special occasion, vs the new cars that really do feel like any other 911 until you get to really open them up, ideally on a racetrack which is pretty sporadic at best. It's one of those things thats so hard to explain unless you drive one, which I realize isn't in the cards most of the time, so there is that lol.
Old 03-09-2017, 12:02 PM
dloines
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sechsgang
Since when does faster=better? This is more about what Singer has done to truly capture the pure enjoyment of driving a 911 in its most perfect form so to speak. Every second in a Singer is a special occasion, vs the new cars that really do feel like any other 911 until you get to really open them up, ideally on a racetrack which is pretty sporadic at best. It's one of those things thats so hard to explain unless you drive one, which I realize isn't in the cards most of the time, so there is that lol.

Yep I agree, same goes for $$$ price does not make it great either, depends on what you prefer makes all the difference. I found this video to be very interesting and surprising based on reputation of some of these legendary cars....

Quick Reply: OT: Singer 911