Sponsored by:

The New GT3 -- I want

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2017, 12:47 AM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

Received 1,188 Likes on 631 Posts

Originally Posted by mac10
Fair points. I get the cool factor of the GT3. I just think besides track use(or wanting a large rear wing) the Turbo and Carrera's models are better all around. I guess I'm also partially irritated as I have friends that bought GT3's for the simple reason that it's a 'GT3', then never drive them.
I too am irritated at those people. The downside of a more comfortable and more accessible GT3 is that it brought a lot of poseurs to GT3s, who aren't really driving enthusiasts. The GT3 crowd has less real drivers than it used to.

I didn't want to rain on anyones parade on the 991 forum. I think the 991 Carreras are fantastic cars, just softer and less agile than I like, as I prefer a 997 carrera to a 991 from a standpoint of driving dynamics. A Carrera or turbo is a better all around than a GT3 in many ways if you don't track the car, or do a lot of backroads driving just for fun.

I would prefer if the GT3 wing was less prominent and looked like a turbo wing, but that's just how it comes. Other than that I love everything about the GT3, and it works for me as my modern do everything 911 model.
Old 03-08-2017, 01:10 AM
studlee
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

i can't deselect PDK in the configurator. anyone see the manual option.
Old 03-08-2017, 01:23 AM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

Received 1,188 Likes on 631 Posts

Originally Posted by studlee
i can't deselect PDK in the configurator. anyone see the manual option.
.2 GT3 comes in PDK-S only for now. Manual option will become available for .2 GT3 in September.
Old 03-08-2017, 04:55 AM
Trooper14
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That 9k redline and a manual, look forward to the rs
Old 03-08-2017, 08:25 AM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Received 6,205 Likes on 2,716 Posts

It's easy to get wrapped up in the "hunt" for a GT3 and the thrill of acquisition. It's the latest and greatest and everyone wants one. It looks great and has what appears to be a legendary engine. What's not to like?

The problem is that if you don't take the GT cars to a track, you will never discover what they are really all about. The lack of a rear seat also fundamentally changes the use case for these cars. The ability to carry four in a pinch is a critical characteristic of the 911 and separates it from most other sports cars. In most real world situations, the Carrera is a more exploitable and usable car.

That said, there is no denying that the Carreras are more grand touring oriented than they ever were, but I'd hesitate in saying that Carrera buyers are not "real drivers".

Sometimes real drivers need a car that they can actually use in their real life.

Last edited by rk-d; 03-08-2017 at 09:05 AM.
Old 03-08-2017, 08:31 AM
BLAM
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 10 Posts

Love the new front end, very clean and aggressive. The huge wing is a bit much for me on a regular basis, but how hard could it be to order an R deck lid and have a wingless GT3?
Old 03-08-2017, 08:37 AM
randr
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by djcxxx
Been there, done that. Great car for the track, not such a great car for everything else. Car has great cache and everyone wants one, but unless tracking is a big part of your plans for the car, reality isn't as great as the idea. Tried real hard to make it work, and it wasn't my DD, but the wing was an obstruction in traffic, the 9K redline was illegal to reach on the street except in 1st, the lift didn't work for unseen small dips where the front lip would hit (10mm lower than SPASM), and truth be told the exhaust sounded pretty dull below 4K. Unless you can drive the car hard on the street it becomes frustrating real quick. Just a former owner's opinion, but I am not rushing to the dealer to trade .2 C2S even w/ an allocation.
I very much agree with this sentiment - also, I put down a deposit on a 991.2 GT3 RS which will be used 95% of the time on track.
Old 03-08-2017, 08:38 AM
djcxxx
Three Wheelin'

Received 348 Likes on 176 Posts

The 911 has always been a GT car. It was conceived as a fast touring car and Ferry Porsche insisted that rear seats be included to accommodate children. When the Porsche family took delivery of their personal 2.7 RSs in 1973 Ferry's was w/o ducktail and painted light metallic green. Two other family members has RSs built w/ sportomatic transmissions. The Porsche factory was initially skeptical of developing the 911 into a racer particularly since the company was always undercapitalized. The 911 was always larger than its competition of the day (mostly British roadsters in the 60s), and although Max Hoffman made the Speedster a success, Ferry Porsche always thought the car was too primitive and not in the spirit of what he considered a Porsche (he should know). The idea that only the GT cars are "true Porsches" is an unfortunate feature of Porsche internet forums where opinion always comes before fact.
Old 03-08-2017, 09:43 AM
R_Rated
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Drifting
I too am irritated at those people. The downside of a more comfortable and more accessible GT3 is that it brought a lot of poseurs to GT3s, who aren't really driving enthusiasts. The GT3 crowd has less real drivers than it used to.

I didn't want to rain on anyones parade on the 991 forum. I think the 991 Carreras are fantastic cars, just softer and less agile than I like, as I prefer a 997 carrera to a 991 from a standpoint of driving dynamics. A Carrera or turbo is a better all around than a GT3 in many ways if you don't track the car, or do a lot of backroads driving just for fun.

I would prefer if the GT3 wing was less prominent and looked like a turbo wing, but that's just how it comes. Other than that I love everything about the GT3, and it works for me as my modern do everything 911 model.
This new Gt3 is said to be much, much softer and compliant for daily use. Magnetic shock technology is getting amazing.
Old 03-08-2017, 10:04 AM
simplex
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think the 991 Carreras are fantastic cars, just softer and less agile than I like, as I prefer a 997 carrera to a 991 from a standpoint of driving dynamics.
At our local PCA AX events the 991 C2's are faster than the 997 C2's (even base vs S). Subjectively you may prefer the feel of the 997 (and I might agree with you there), but objectively the 991 is faster. The stiffer chassis and revised suspension are a large part of that. They are definitely not softer.

People tend to forget that Porsche has always made their next gen car faster than the old one (except possibly the fuel crisis and emissions years of the late XX century). The company is very serious about this, it's a core part of their product development philosophy.
Old 03-08-2017, 10:08 AM
Bents
Rennlist Member

Received 549 Likes on 250 Posts

The 911 has always been a GT car. It was conceived as a fast touring car and Ferry Porsche insisted that rear seats be included to accommodate children. When the Porsche family took delivery of their personal 2.7 RSs in 1973 Ferry's was w/o ducktail and painted light metallic green. Two other family members has RSs built w/ sportomatic transmissions. The Porsche factory was initially skeptical of developing the 911 into a racer particularly since the company was always undercapitalized. The 911 was always larger than its competition of the day (mostly British roadsters in the 60s), and although Max Hoffman made the Speedster a success, Ferry Porsche always thought the car was too primitive and not in the spirit of what he considered a Porsche (he should know). The idea that only the GT cars are "true Porsches" is an unfortunate feature of Porsche internet forums where opinion always comes before fact.

Get out of here with your "history" and "facts". This is a place to measure d**ks about how "serious" of drivers we are, whatever the hell that is supposed to mean.
Old 03-08-2017, 11:14 AM
mac10
Racer

Received 66 Likes on 35 Posts

Spoken like a true enthusiast, I love it! Your'e absolutely right, some guys buy them for the over the top styling, name or bragging rights only to never truly appreciate the car.
Old 03-08-2017, 11:25 AM
LehmanZ06
Pro

Received 96 Likes on 60 Posts

My new 991.2 base is much softer then my old 2010 GT3. I actually enjoy driving it on the street, but when I autox the 2017........I wish it was a little sharper. But the 991.2 even base no options car is a wonderful car.
Old 03-08-2017, 12:04 PM
KM1959
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Been there, done that. Great car for the track, not such a great car for everything else. Car has great cache and everyone wants one, but unless tracking is a big part of your plans for the car, reality isn't as great as the idea. Tried real hard to make it work, and it wasn't my DD, but the wing was an obstruction in traffic, the 9K redline was illegal to reach on the street except in 1st, the lift didn't work for unseen small dips where the front lip would hit (10mm lower than SPASM), and truth be told the exhaust sounded pretty dull below 4K. Unless you can drive the car hard on the street it becomes frustrating real quick. Just a former owner's opinion, but I am not rushing to the dealer to trade .2 C2S even w/ an allocation.
The old "Anticipation is better than participation" adage. That sums up my C6 Z06 experience way better than I could've. The street is not the place for these monsters. Thanks for the reminder.
Old 03-08-2017, 02:41 PM
Joec500
Rennlist Member

Received 928 Likes on 550 Posts

Originally Posted by randr
I very much agree with this sentiment - also, I put down a deposit on a 991.2 GT3 RS which will be used 95% of the time on track.
I just saw you're in Australia, You must be paying close to 500k USD for yours!

Quick Reply: The New GT3 -- I want