Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I'm Here To End The .1 vs. .2 Arguments Once And For All...

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2017, 01:31 PM
Bemo
Drifting

Received 259 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by Fasttr
I'll never understand this as guards just stand in one place, rarely moving. Now Racing Yellow....that sounds fast!!!
The Fastest.
The color adds +20HP bringing it in line with the .2 GTS.
Attached Images  
Old 03-02-2017, 01:37 PM
Al.Fresco
Three Wheelin'

Received 327 Likes on 187 Posts

Originally Posted by Bemo
The Fastest.
The color adds +20HP bringing it in line with the .2 GTS.
I tried to T that up as best I could for ya. Nice swing!! Out of the park.
Old 03-02-2017, 02:11 PM
Dewinator
Drifting

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

My running theory is that FI people have no souls, so the soulless blown cars seem better in every way. The NA people, having souls, can't imagine driving a car without one. Neither side will ever be able to convince the other of why they like their car better.
Old 03-02-2017, 02:36 PM
NoGaBiker
Drifting

Received 228 Likes on 123 Posts

Well, looks like my work here is done. People finally seem to be on the same page...
Old 03-02-2017, 02:50 PM
911boy
Three Wheelin'

Received 136 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by NoGaBiker
Well, looks like my work here is done. People finally seem to be on the same page...
Well played Sir. And thank you for devining the definitive answer to the question everyone has been thinking but afraid to ask.
Old 03-02-2017, 04:27 PM
TerryC4S
Instructor

Received 71 Likes on 27 Posts

I was going to sit this one out but there was one comment here that I agree with most. The full supple leather in the 996 was sublime. Should I start another thread where we can argue about which model had the best leather?
Old 03-02-2017, 04:37 PM
bernpep
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by AlBinVA
LetÂ’s try a different approach where no model year 911 needs to be mentioned. I am not sure of the demographics at this site, but I would have to assume that the price these cars demand, makes us all adults. I may be a bit older than most, but I would think that most participants here were taught to be respectful and polite at some point on our way to adulthood. You may not agree with all that is said, but you should always respect that personÂ’s right to say it. What I do find disturbing are the trolls here that make statements for effect or to pursue their own agenda. You probably think you are being cute, but it really isnÂ’t funny. It just shows your immaturity, insecurity, need for attention and above all, your apparent lack of manners and/or respect. No need to mention names, you know who you are. And for those who feel they need to get the last word in, save that magic moment for conversations with your spouse.
As I mentioned before, we all own and drive one of the best cars on the planet. LetÂ’s be content with that at this moment in time because history shows us that change is inevitable. Case in point, the PDK. We can either reject it or embrace it, but it will happen.
LetÂ’s make this forum a place to come for the exchange of useful information and ideas.
Everyone bought the car they have for personal reasons, whatever they may be. LetÂ’s respect that.
I think every post is hilarious. Even this one🤣
Old 03-02-2017, 05:24 PM
R_Rated
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by R_Rated_is_always_right
Nah - the 991.2 owners try so hard to get attention from their bling. The 991.1 owners love what they have in spite of it's deficiencies. We know about the changes - we just don't care. I guarantee my lowly 991.1 is more fun than yours It's not just the sound.... every time you let off the gas the sound disappears. We get to use the right pedal a lot more for a lot longer. We get to engage our cars in a very different way, like a love affair that includes foreplay and extended pleasure with cuddling after. 991.2 is like a fast glory hole transaction. Much quicker but did you really enjoy it more than a real emotional connection? This is the problem, you walk up to the glory hole, insert your money and determine superiority with a stopwatch. There is no love, just a transaction between A to B. 991.1 is a long lasting affair of love each time she get ridden, and she likes to be ridden long and hard.
This is my take.
Old 03-02-2017, 05:32 PM
GregD
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by TerryC4S
The full supple leather in the 996 was sublime. Should I start another thread where we can argue about which model had the best leather?
For giggles, I test drove a full leather used 996 while shopping for a 997.2 (and ultimately ended up with a 991, project creep). The leather dash was detaching/shrinking so badly, it looked like a botched circumcision.
So that's my objection to full leather right there (go get that picture out of your mind now) ;-)
Old 03-02-2017, 08:40 PM
Bemo
Drifting

Enough said:
Attached Images  
Old 03-02-2017, 08:42 PM
R_Rated
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Bemo
Enough said:
Just to be clear, that is carmine red and not Guards Red.
Old 03-02-2017, 08:59 PM
randr
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by R_Rated_is_always_right
Nah - the 991.2 owners try so hard to get attention from their bling. The 991.1 owners love what they have in spite of it's deficiencies. We know about the changes - we just don't care. I guarantee my lowly 991.1 is more fun than yours It's not just the sound.... every time you let off the gas the sound disappears. We get to use the right pedal a lot more for a lot longer. We get to engage our cars in a very different way, like a love affair that includes foreplay and extended pleasure with cuddling after. 991.2 is like a fast glory hole transaction. Much quicker but did you really enjoy it more than a real emotional connection? This is the problem, you walk up to the glory hole, insert your money and determine superiority with a stopwatch. There is no love, just a transaction between A to B. 991.1 is a long lasting affair of love each time she get ridden, and she likes to be ridden long and hard.

Originally Posted by R_Rated
This is my take.
and on it goes.

The post facto justification of the .1 owners in this thread is amusing and lets be honest, it is largely .1 owners. As Galileo once said "and yet it moves" or as Jack Nicholson said in a Few Good Men "you can't handle the truth"

The truth is very simple - most .1 owners have not driven a .2 for any length of time or even at all (this is startlingly obvious by the way), at least a number of you have had the maturity to acknowledge this. Ultimately the opinions of these people can at best be opinions with limited basis in fact and in terms of value, weighted accordingly

The reality is those that have extensively driven or own the .2 have very different opinions based around facts and experience. In fact some, like me for instance, own both FI and NA Porsche sports cars (I even have a deposit down on a .2 GT3RS). This is the case for quite a few of the .2 owners. So they like me understand the differences between various NA and FI Porsche sports cars, in terms of handling through to engine response, from track to daily driving.

The same "banter" is found on other sites, for example in relation to the 718 and 981 - in this case there were over 100 pages devoted to a thread entitled "the worst reviews of the 718" (or something like that). This thread was posted in the 718 forum and largely consisted of 981 owners dumping on 718 owners.

The outcome was 718 owners largely stopped posting and moved elsewhere.

The same has and does occur here in the 991 forum in relation to the .1 and .2. The MO is almost exactly the same as found in the forum mentioned above. Even in this thread, with its somewhat specious title, you find the same .1 owners endlessly repeating the same tired dogma. The same endless puerile responses. The same vessels emptying.

They are cars - the engineering and designs evolve - this is a good thing. Res Ipsa loquitur.

Last edited by randr; 03-02-2017 at 09:35 PM.
Old 03-02-2017, 09:16 PM
Bemo
Drifting

Originally Posted by R_Rated
Just to be clear, that is carmine red and not Guards Red.
I knew you'd say something!!
Vacuum Red. Fast as hell.
Old 03-02-2017, 10:28 PM
BlackBeauty
Rennlist Member

Received 147 Likes on 66 Posts

I owned a .1 C2S for about a year and got my .2C4S last year.

Extensive seat time in both of them. The sound difference is dramatic - each had/have PSE, with the .1 really being incomparable. The turbine whine is a little distracting and takes some getting used to.

The following is my personal experience, the .1 was a 7MT, and sometimes when you were really on the throttle going from 2nd to 3rd, it sometimes wouldn't go into gear. This was a common issue that was corrected in the GTS and Charis Harris and others discussed in various reviews. My personal view was the car was really set-up for PDK based on the engine mapping (the .1 had Sport Chrono and the .2 does as well). So I have the Sport Package on the .2, which includes SC and RWS. I also have Sport PASM. The .1's steering felt light at speed, so I got the Sport PASM lip and that small adjustment made a huge difference at higher speeds.

Anyway the .2 is more comfortable, more precise, quicker around bends and reduculously fast. Even though it's a better car in every empirical measure, what I miss is most is rowing my own gears the and the exhaust note. Why? Because I'm not tracking it. It's a weekend toy.

My first 911 was a 997.1 C2S- that was the best of all three. Slow down before the curve, heel-toe going in, power out.

Now it's left foot brake (not because you need to slow down but because you're about to downshift and want to keep the car's transition smooth), pull left paddle and power out. In the 991.2 I'm coming out of the turn probably 30% faster than the 997.1 and probably 20% faster than the 991.1- I know that's somewhat subjective, but am I having more fun? Not really. Just being honest.
Old 03-02-2017, 10:58 PM
Rambler_13
Burning Brakes

Received 91 Likes on 59 Posts

Well said BlackBeauty, a rational, non-trolling response from someone who's owned all 3 gens.

On that note, time to stop feeding the troll within this thread, no surprise he was banned recently and then went on to blame the other posters, the moderator, and the site itself, lol.

Quick Reply: I'm Here To End The .1 vs. .2 Arguments Once And For All...