Sponsored by:

Data Plan

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2017, 04:13 PM
kayjh
Drifting

Received 717 Likes on 498 Posts

Originally Posted by dflowerz
Not something I am interested in using, but it could come in handy is certain situations where cellular usage from the phone might be expensive so cheaper to connect via wi-fi to the car and use the car's cellular data. Example is having visitors from another country who don't want to use their phone cell data because it costs too much but wifi is always OK and they are using my Porsche cellular data. Same as me visiting a foreign country and wanting to use minimal cell data, preferring wi-fi. Another situation might be where a passenger's cell provider may not connect but the ATT is connecting in the car so using the wifi connection in the car allows the passenger to get connected.

I agree, that in most situations this is not necessary which I why I turned off my phone trying to connect to the car via wifi.

A few years ago we did a trip with a bunch of friends and family from Brazil and they had some standalone device they got from the car rental agency that had a cell connection and allowed all of them to connect their phones to it via wi-fi.
In that situation, I would set my phone up as a "personal hot spot" and have my guests connect through my cellular data plan (over wifi). I'm not sure if the car's data sim is "tethered" to my cellular plan, but assuming it is, aren' you just using the same data? If the car's $10.00 a month plan adds additional data for that fee, I could see the advantage in that.
Old 02-16-2017, 05:40 PM
dflowerz
Burning Brakes

Received 65 Likes on 41 Posts

I tried to add my car's 10 buck a month plan to my other ATT phone account and could not do it, so my car account is separate. But I agree it makes more sense to have guests use my phone as a hotspot.

Quick Reply: Data Plan