Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

991.2 opinion

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2017, 11:47 AM
Bossing
Rennlist Member

Received 89 Likes on 45 Posts

^^Love the .2's 3.0 Turbo & exhaust sound... add the crackles & pops too which I like. I think with the PSE it sounds close to as good as my GT4 but of course not significantly better. Different characteristics but they both sound really good IMO. Love my .2 but I do know the .1's are also fine. Can't go wrong either way... I chose the .2 due to the latest iteration and improvements as well as the powerful broad torque now.
Old 02-15-2017, 12:39 PM
sexfiend
Instructor

Received 63 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by rk-d
No dog in this hunt, but all things equal and having to choose between a .1 and .2, I'd go for the latter.

I don't track my cars. Accessible torque makes city driving so much more enjoyable and I don't care about sound (actually loud cars make my tinnitus rage)

People laugh about Carplay being a factor, but let's be honest -- these are Carreras, not GT3s. Stuff like that does matter in a car that will get driven daily by many owners. That duality is what makes the 911 great in the first place.

In any event, the bigger change in this platform was the 991.1. The .2 takes the mission statement of the .1 and just evolves/refines it.

And the .2 does not sound like a vacuum cleaner. Not sure where that comes from.
Great level-headed response. I drove my 991.2 this morning (as a daily) and basically validated your points for me.
Old 02-15-2017, 03:49 PM
dflowerz
Burning Brakes

Received 65 Likes on 41 Posts

Also agree. I bought a 911 to be a fun sports car, not a race car, so I like the creature comforts. I also get amused by the PDK vs manual debates and feeling more connected to the car. I totally understand, but riding a motorcycle fast on the track or off road is a whole other level of being connected (or quickly disconnected). I rarely crash on motorcycles, but I lost the front in a slow 60mph turn on a track, had a relatively minor low side and tumbled off the track into the gravel. No injuries other than a general feeling the next day of having had the crap beat out of me all over. The same mistake in a car in that turn would have me running wide and a bit frustrated but nothing more. Which is why I just sold my sport motorcycle to leave the pavement fun just for the 911. But I digress
Old 02-15-2017, 03:59 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,878 Likes on 1,903 Posts

Originally Posted by rk-d

And the .2 does not sound like a vacuum cleaner. Not sure where that comes from.
Nooooobody said it sounded like a vacuum cleaner.

We said it sounded like an annnngry vacuum cleaner.

Seriously, I'm no fan of the .2 PSE at all, but I don't think my .1 sounds amazing either, except when it's way up in the rev range, so most of the time it's gonna be irrelevant. Sound wouldn't keep me away from a .2, I'd just opt for the standard exhaust to keep it quieter. That would also solve the exhaust tip issue for me as well.

The more I think about the .2, I think the real reason I can't get excited about ordering the new car isn't simply the few things about the car that I don't care for. I think it's simply the overall price relative to the wood factor it gives me. If someone offered me the same car in .1 format (i.e. about a $135k - $150k build depending upon 2 or 4 model) I don't think I'd buy that car today. I love my .1, but I don't think I'd pay sticker for it today, much less 5-7 percent more with the new pricing. The Carreras just aren't compelling cars to me in non-GT form in that price range. The changes I don't like are just the final nails in the coffin.
Old 02-15-2017, 04:02 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Originally Posted by dflowerz
Also agree. I bought a 911 to be a fun sports car, not a race car, so I like the creature comforts. I also get amused by the PDK vs manual debates and feeling more connected to the car. I totally understand, but riding a motorcycle fast on the track or off road is a whole other level of being connected (or quickly disconnected). I rarely crash on motorcycles, but I lost the front in a slow 60mph turn on a track, had a relatively minor low side and tumbled off the track into the gravel. No injuries other than a general feeling the next day of having had the crap beat out of me all over. The same mistake in a car in that turn would have me running wide and a bit frustrated but nothing more. Which is why I just sold my sport motorcycle to leave the pavement fun just for the 911. But I digress
Tell me about it. If I had just taken up cars instead of bikes, my body would be 15 years younger and have way less titanium in it.
Old 02-15-2017, 04:40 PM
dflowerz
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Archimedes
Tell me about it. If I had just taken up cars instead of bikes, my body would be 15 years younger and have way less titanium in it.
I am pretty lucky because (knock on wood) I never raced and never broke a bone on a motorcycle. I am still riding road and dirt, just slower.
Old 02-15-2017, 05:29 PM
JustBud
Race Car

Received 655 Likes on 378 Posts

Originally Posted by Archimedes
Tumbles hurt on a bike for sure, but at least you have leathers on. Lycra doesn't provide near as much protection when you hit the asphalt. I have motorcycles too, but I've never tracked them.

I am pretty lucky because (knock on wood) I never raced and never broke a bone on a motorcycle. I am still riding road and dirt, just slower.
Yup, 50 something and still racing my bicycle in criteriums and riding a moutain bike for fun. Slower than I used to go too, but still pushing, it keeps you young.
Old 02-15-2017, 06:01 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

After two decades on the track and in the mountains, the worst crash I had, that almost killed me, was at 45 mph on a local street I've driven a thousand times.
Old 02-15-2017, 07:44 PM
randr
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by R_Rated
The 991.1 will always be a more special car. Always. The 991.2 is a gateway car experimenting in economics and efficiency > sports carring. The 3.0 was made to pass emissions and taxes, not with performance as the main objective.
I just realised you're the guy that thought the 3l turbo was a 4 cylinder engine that sounded like a subaru , to you, the 991.1 will be "more special" because you went from a Jag to a 991.1 - this is because a 991.1 is significantly lighter and handles much better than the very good looking but rather portly Jag.

However, from a performance perspective - there is a step change between the .1 and .2 and thats a measurable fact.

There is no debate to be had, handling testing has shown this, track times have shown this and strip times have hammered this home. This has been done to death, there is little to be gained going back over old ground. To those of us that are involved in performance driving, its great to have markedly improved handling (e.g RAS) and steering feel. Moreover, the torque availability makes a significant difference in daily driving and performance driving (e.g. hill climbs - tracks with topographic variability - targa challenge etc).

The 991.2 is Porsche at its best delivering Jekyll or Hyde at the press of a button.

Superimposed on this, is the addition of new technology - the PCM system with Car Play is a very nice upgrade to have for those that want a "livability" factor and, to some degree, a safety factor.

Now, to the sound, in the cabin, there is no significant sound difference between the NA flat six and the 3l turbo six. With the windows down you can hear the turbos from time to time. Even on start up, there is no obvious difference between the NA six and turbo six. When the car pulls away, if you're standing behind the car, you will hear a "whoosh" as the turbos start to spool.

I know this because I own both (NA and turbo) - they sit next to each other in my townhouse garage.

Last edited by randr; 02-15-2017 at 08:23 PM.
Old 02-15-2017, 07:51 PM
dflowerz
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by randr
I just realised you're the guy that thought the 3l turbo was a 4 cylinder engine that sounded like a subaru , to you, the 991.1 will be "more special" because you went from a Jag to a 991.1 - this is because a 991.1 is significantly lighter and handles much better than very good looking but rather portly Jag.

However, from a performance perspective - there is a step change between the .1 and .2 and thats a measurable fact.

There is no debate to be had, handling testing has shown this, track times have shown this and strip times have hammered this home. This has been done to death and there is no point reinventing the wheel.

Superimposed on this is the addition of new technology - the PCM system with Car Play is a very nice upgrade to have for those that want a "livability" factor and, to some degree, a safety factor.

Now, to the sound, in the cabin, there is no significant sound difference between the NA flat six and the 3l turbo six. With the windows down you can hear the turbos from time to time. Even on start up there is no obvious difference between the NA six and turbo six.

I know this because I own both - they sit next to each other in my townhouse garage.
Nice post! Your sound description is similar to what I experienced.
Old 02-15-2017, 07:54 PM
dflowerz
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by JustBud
Tumbles hurt on a bike for sure, but at least you have leathers on. Lycra doesn't provide near as much protection when you hit the asphalt. I have motorcycles too, but I've never tracked them.

Yup, 50 something and still racing my bicycle in criteriums and riding a moutain bike for fun. Slower than I used to go too, but still pushing, it keeps you young.
Yeah bicycle racers are a tough bunch! Crit racing is nuts too. My son-in-law is an amateur bicycle road racer and I always worry about him. Congrats on keeping with it! I am 60 and still running and commute bicycling (on a downhill bike but that's another story), and it really does allow us geezers to have fun longer.
Old 02-15-2017, 08:41 PM
NoGaBiker
Drifting

Received 233 Likes on 125 Posts

... This has been done to death, there is little to be gained going back over old ground. ...
You should have stopped here.
Old 02-15-2017, 10:34 PM
R_Rated
Banned

Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts

I just realised you're the guy that thought the 3l turbo was a 4 cylinder engine that sounded like a subaru , to you, the 991.1 will be "more special" because you went from a Jag to a 991.1 - this is because a 991.1 is significantly lighter and handles much better than the very good looking but rather portly Jag.

There is no debate to be had, handling testing has shown this, track times have shown this and strip times have hammered this home. This has been done to death, there is little to be gained going back over old ground. To those of us that are involved in performance driving, its great to have markedly improved handling (e.g RAS) and steering feel. Moreover, the torque availability makes a significant difference in daily driving and performance driving (e.g. hill climbs - tracks with topographic variability - targa challenge etc).

The 991.2 is Porsche at its best delivering Jekyll or Hyde at the press of a button.

Superimposed on this, is the addition of new technology - the PCM system with Car Play is a very nice upgrade to have for those that want a "livability" factor and, to some degree, a safety factor.

Now, to the sound, in the cabin, there is no significant sound difference between the NA flat six and the 3l turbo six. With the windows down you can hear the turbos from time to time. Even on start up, there is no obvious difference between the NA six and turbo six. When the car pulls away, if you're standing behind the car, you will hear a "whoosh" as the turbos start to spool.

I know this because I own both (NA and turbo) - they sit next to each other in my townhouse garage.
I never thought the 3.0 was a 4 cyl.... and it does sound like a subaru.

I know what a light car drives like... I also have a HIGHLY modified Datsun 280Z... and like many here have had a "handful" of various cars. So please don't put words in my mouth.

If you can't hear the difference in the cars then likely your deaf, in denial.... or both.
Old 02-16-2017, 02:03 AM
planet
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My 991.2 C4S is the best car I've owned in my life. It's not the best car in the world -- and it might be out-done by other cars at or below its price point, depending on which metric you care to obsess over. Hell, if I had infinite time to do long-term test drives of every car ever made, I might decide that something else entirely would hit my personal sweet spot more than this.

But I don't have infinite time. The car I chose is in my garage, and what I do know is that it's just amazingly great. Not quite as good as the car it replaced in a couple ways? Some people are really sensitive to those factors? Sure, ok. None of that matters to me. It's still more car than I've ever owned before, and it will take me a long time to explore its limits -- if I ever do.

Also, seriously: given the life that most of the humans that have come before us and who live along side us have lived, I count anyone who is able to enjoy and appreciate one of these cars as one of the lucky ones. The rest is noise. Angry vacuum cleaner noise.
Old 02-16-2017, 03:24 AM
randr
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by R_Rated
I never thought the 3.0 was a 4 cyl.... and it does sound like a subaru.

I know what a light car drives like... I also have a HIGHLY modified Datsun 280Z... and like many here have had a "handful" of various cars. So please don't put words in my mouth.

If you can't hear the difference in the cars then likely your deaf, in denial.... or both.
Not putting words in your mouth - you said the turbo six sounded like a Subaru - it can't sound like a Subaru because one has four cylinders and one has six cylinders - the firing orders are different; one is PI the other is DFI

As I have said, and others have said, who actually own the cars (see comment from Dflorez above and in my case own both NA and turbo .2) - when you're in the 991.2 it sounds the same - because guess what, the FIRING ORDER is the same as the NA six cylinder. On start up it sounds the same as well.

Oh and I have owned 7+2 EJ engined cars including cosworth long block variants I still own one too - so, believe me I know what a Subaru sounds like

Quick Reply: 991.2 opinion