Sponsored by:

991.2 opinion

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2017, 05:22 PM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,200 Likes on 723 Posts

Originally Posted by STG
991's suck. They are huge and have Panamera interiors. All owners care about is washing, waxing, paint chips, and taking pictures with their watches and houses. Crying about brake dust too. Boo hoo

The 997.2's are much better. Real drivers cars. 6 speed manuals too. No sissy 7 speeds.
You can laugh about washing, waxing, paint chips and taking pictures . . .

But excessive brake dust is no laughing matter!!!

Old 02-14-2017, 05:23 PM
Dgags
Racer

Received 227 Likes on 72 Posts

.2 faster 0-60 means nothing to me. I have no interest in launching any vehicle. If it did, I'd buy a TTS and get there a second plus quicker. If PDK was the only option, I wouldn't have bought a 911. I'd have upgraded my boat or paid down my mortgage. Not bashing the .2 at all but this was my dream auto since a very early age. Glad I got in on it while I could still get a Sport Design manual transmission 3.8L.

I could drive my brother in laws 97 but this is just too good. Enjoy what you have. They're all pretty fantastic.

Point me in the direction of a .2 that looks better than this and I MIGHT consider it. That's not going to happen so I'll give a report when mine hits 200k mikes in about 8 years. (Big grin)!
Old 02-14-2017, 05:31 PM
J.Ho
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've had an '83 Targa SC, a 964 C4, a 993 C2, two 996 C2's, two 991.1 C2S and now the 991.2 C4S. All great cars. The 991.2 is just better. They always get better. Whatever follows after the 991.2 will be better as well.
Old 02-14-2017, 05:44 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5,039 Likes on 2,846 Posts

Originally Posted by J.Ho
I've had an '83 Targa SC, a 964 C4, a 993 C2, two 996 C2's, two 991.1 C2S and now the 991.2 C4S. All great cars. The 991.2 is just better. They always get better. Whatever follows after the 991.2 will be better as well.
I had a 993 and a 996 also. I would say the 996 was a big step backwards in many important ways (reflected by the resale values). I also think the 911's made after 1973 regressed in a big way for many years (also reflected by resale values)...

To say that 911 evolution is an exercise in continual and consistent improvement is an over-simplification at best.
Old 02-14-2017, 05:57 PM
CDH911C2S
Racer

Default ...

Originally Posted by crossroads
Too bad the OP was so focused on the sound because he missed out on one of the best improvements: the steering. Porsche has seemed to improve the steering feel of the 991.2 over the 991.1 especially in the 2wd models. I test drove a 991.2 c2s and it felt lively, connected and communicative, even better than my 991.1 c4s.

For me, one of the best engine sounds is when I first fire it up. I love the little roar and then as it settles into idle. And, the .2 does this too. When I'm driving, the difference in sound between the .1 and .2 is not that significant. But of course, I'm not fixated on the sound.

What's most annoying is the lame sound symposer. They both have them. Actually the .2 has 2. I can't believe someone actually thought this was a good idea, not to mention the poor engineer who had to design it.

I would get a 991.2 over my 991.1 but I'll wait until more pop up in the used car classifieds.

I agree that the steering feel was better in the 991.2

Cheers
Old 02-14-2017, 06:01 PM
CDH911C2S
Racer

Default ..

Originally Posted by R_Rated
991.2 owners have tiny hands.

As evidenced by the smaller steering wheel.
Old 02-14-2017, 06:05 PM
CDH911C2S
Racer

Default ...

Originally Posted by STG
991's suck. They are huge and have Panamera interiors. All owners care about is washing, waxing, paint chips, and taking pictures with their watches and houses. Crying about brake dust too. Boo hoo

The 997.2's are much better. Real drivers cars. 6 speed manuals too. No sissy 7 speeds.
I started laughing...then I realized I do spend a fair amount of time washing, waxing, and obsessing over brake dust---I need some help---

Cheers and hope all is well
Old 02-14-2017, 06:10 PM
Izzone
Nordschleife Master

Received 293 Likes on 148 Posts

Ive had 997.1 GT3, 997.2 GT3RS, Cups, 997.1, and now 991.2. They all have their own sound profile

Ive drven most of them too....the 997.2 and 991.1 engine is not that good....you have to rev it too much to get it to open up.

Debating what one is fastest around the track is kind of a pointless argument....because most people cant take the car there anyways....and its a street car not a track car.

On the street the 991.2 is the best engine Porsche has made for mass production, hands down

best sounding is a 3.0L with an open exhaust that revs to 8,200 rpm .......but at 25 hour rebuilds it wouldn't last long on the street

Old 02-14-2017, 06:21 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,873 Likes on 1,903 Posts

I was down on the .2 when it was announced and initial pictures were released. Then I drove one and started warming up a bit, due to the suspension and steering, primarily, but also the wheel, PCM, thought of having a nice stereo and more power. Started configuring cars over and over and in the end I found myself just not able to get excited about the car in any iteration. I can't put my finger on any one thing that kills the deal for me, but there's just nothing about the overall car that motivates me to want to buy it. When the real world speed numbers started coming out, I got interested again and went through the whole process and ended up in the same place. The car just doesn't excite me in the way my .1 does, in looks, feel, sound, anything. But that's just me.

Not being a hater, because I think the .2 is clearly the better car and I really want to like the newer car. It just doesn't do it for me personally. Over the years I've learned, largely with motorcycles, to trust your gut feelings when it comes to cars, not numbers. Which car/bike will make you want to go out into the garage just to look at it? And, given the choice, which car/bike will you always grab the keys to first? The answers to those questions go a lot farther in telling you what will make you happy over the long term than any numbers on paper or reviews in a magazine. And that is totally a personal thing for each person.

Honestly, I'm bummed because I really want to get excited about Porsches these days, but the only two cars that have my interest currently (other than the one I own) are the GT3 and the GT3RS, which have their own ownership issues.
Old 02-14-2017, 06:51 PM
MagicRat
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Ok so... NA is better than turbo
Hydraulic is better than electric
Air-cooled is better than water-cooled
Manual is better than automatic
Television is better than computers
Radio is better than television
Books are better than radio
all the way back to
No cave painting is better than cave painting

Do I have it right?
Old 02-14-2017, 07:19 PM
J.Ho
Racer

Originally Posted by MagicRat
Ok so... NA is better than turbo
Hydraulic is better than electric
Air-cooled is better than water-cooled
Manual is better than automatic
Television is better than computers
Radio is better than television
Books are better than radio
all the way back to
No cave painting is better than cave painting

Do I have it right?

Old 02-14-2017, 07:21 PM
J.Ho
Racer

Originally Posted by GrantG
I had a 993 and a 996 also. I would say the 996 was a big step backwards in many important ways (reflected by the resale values). I also think the 911's made after 1973 regressed in a big way for many years (also reflected by resale values)...

To say that 911 evolution is an exercise in continual and consistent improvement is an over-simplification at best.
Meh talk to me when you've owned eight.

That said my 993 was probably my second favorite next to the 991.2 hehe
Old 02-14-2017, 07:23 PM
NoGaBiker
Drifting

Received 233 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by MagicRat
...No cave painting is better than cave painting
Now THERE'S a purist! "Altamira 1.1 is waaaaay better than Altamira 1.2; clean, pure, not all that fussy anthropomorphic representation."
Old 02-14-2017, 07:26 PM
JustBud
Race Car

Received 655 Likes on 378 Posts

Originally Posted by Archimedes
Which car/bike will make you want to go out into the garage just to look at it? And, given the choice, which car/bike will you always grab the keys to first? The answers to those questions go a lot farther in telling you what will make you happy over the long term than any numbers on paper or reviews in a magazine. And that is totally a personal thing for each person.
Bingo! My .2 does that, still walk into the garage every night just to make sure it's real and to me she's as beautiful as any .1 I've seen (I've already said in my opinion the 991 series are the best design of the newer 911's) I chose PDK too because I live with Southern California traffic, love manuals and have owned plenty, but will probably never own another manual as long as I live here. Duck on a long hood track rat without question, but as a 50 something driving on the street, I'll take a slick back Carrera (narrow body) any day. I know it's not everybody's cup of tea, but it's mine.
Old 02-14-2017, 07:39 PM
Fitcherama
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow! Divisive thread. Seems predominantly based on engine behavior and sound. I've had quite a few 911's in varying incarnations over the years and still have a 385bhp modified 964 which I just love. Any generation of 991 sounds like a quiet fart in soup compared to that. I also love my 991.2 CS and appreciate fully the advances Porsche have made as a result of emission requirements in the new FI engines. The low down and consistent torque is radically different to the NA 991's and I think for day to day driving it is fantastic. Add to that much improved steering feedback, RWS and all the other tech and you have a great package. Not to mention the .2 is much prettier than the .1 (had to get that in to keep the arguments flowing).

Quick Reply: 991.2 opinion