Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dark spots on paint

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2017, 09:44 PM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Received 672 Likes on 359 Posts

I'd bet it is the ceramic too, and it can be hard to remove. We had our Lexus ceramic coated by Lexus and the friggin' Lexus dealer's installer apparently spilled some on the side of the driver door when working on the roof and didn't notice before we came to pick it up so it dried on the car door like you see in the photo, complete with runs down the door. Gah!

No safe chemical would touch it (things that would pretty much remove any wax), so it ended up having to be compounded off the door and reapplied. At least I know the ceramic is durable! It dried kinda dark like the smaller spots you see in your photos and was was surprisingly hard to see in some lighting and at some angles, so its understandable how you have missed it on yours.

Old 02-13-2017, 12:53 AM
Bigalfromfl
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

They look like high spots to me. (Areas where the ceramic coating wasn't fully removed) No big deal. Your detail shop will be able to polish them out and re-apply the coating to those areas. It happens.
Old 02-13-2017, 07:45 AM
BlackBeauty
Rennlist Member

Received 164 Likes on 72 Posts

Agreed - it's the coating, same thing happened to mine, I have CQuartz.
Old 02-13-2017, 11:11 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,616 Likes on 1,624 Posts

Originally Posted by StormRune
I'd bet it is the ceramic too, and it can be hard to remove. We had our Lexus ceramic coated by Lexus and the friggin' Lexus dealer's installer apparently spilled some on the side of the driver door when working on the roof and didn't notice before we came to pick it up so it dried on the car door like you see in the photo, complete with runs down the door. Gah!

No safe chemical would touch it (things that would pretty much remove any wax), so it ended up having to be compounded off the door and reapplied. At least I know the ceramic is durable! It dried kinda dark like the smaller spots you see in your photos and was was surprisingly hard to see in some lighting and at some angles, so its understandable how you have missed it on yours.

Ouch!

I just can't help being reminded of..

Just let your...

Quick Reply: Dark spots on paint