Sponsored by:

Allocation question .... ?

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2017, 02:22 PM
Baggerdude
Burning Brakes

Received 29 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Allocation question .... ?

Stopped by my LPD last week and the sales manager wondered what I intended to do with my leased 2015 911 Turbo. I said I was on the fence since I had about a year left on my lease.

Then, he said that Porsche will excuse up to 12 months of payments if I were to lease another car. Hmmmmm ....

So, I built a Targa4 GTS with MT, and "stuff". Contacted him and he said he had 1 allocation for that car, and that it's a fairly rare car. (?) I gave him a deposit.

Now, this is not my 1st build, but I don't understand the "allocation" deal. What does that mean relative to what goes on from this point on? Does that mean that this car has a specific date of production / delivery?
Or what?
Old 02-12-2017, 02:32 PM
Bemo
Drifting

Received 262 Likes on 172 Posts

Shouldn't the dealer confirm if/when the order has actually been placed/accepted by the factory?
Also, what about getting a confirmation sheet (not sure of the Porsche-specific parlance) that confirms your specified options, to ensure that no mistakes are made along the way?

I would love the see the car once you take delivery.
Good luck either way.
Old 02-12-2017, 02:35 PM
STG
Race Director

Received 200 Likes on 142 Posts

Wouldn't the dealer explain all of this before taking a deposit? I suppose as a buyer, I'd make sure to ask the question before handing over the $$. They even give you a price on the new lease?

The "allocation" SHOULD have a specific build date or window.

The "pull ahead" program is common. Get you out of your current lease early and get you into another one before jumping brands. A good strategy.
Old 02-12-2017, 02:48 PM
Dan Nagy
Race Car

Received 2,219 Likes on 1,117 Posts

Originally Posted by STG
Wouldn't the dealer explain all of this before taking a deposit? I suppose as a buyer, I'd make sure to ask the question before handing over the $$. They even give you a price on the new lease?

The "allocation" SHOULD have a specific build date or window.

The "pull ahead" program is common. Get you out of your current lease early and get you into another one before jumping brands. A good strategy.
I also jumped from my Cayman to a 911 on the "pull-ahead" program. I doubt if I'll do the "pull-ahead" next time around because there is a possibility that the residual at lease end could be lower than the car's value. If not, fine.
Old 02-12-2017, 02:54 PM
Baggerdude
Burning Brakes

Default So ...

I've built several Porsches over the years ... including my present Turbo 991. I don't remember much about the experience. Sorry.

Sales manager said he had the allocation for this car, and I said, I'll take it. Gave him a deposit. Deposits can be refunded. BTDT2

I was in a hurry when I stopped in. Just a short visit and then this deal happened. It's been pretty crap for weather since then ... lots of places have been closed / still closed. I had over 20" of snow here at the hacienda and it's snowing AGAIN!

I'll call tomorrow and speak with him. He can explain the deal to me. I tho't perhaps someone here could give me the various "steps" involved from deposit to acceptance / production date, yada, yada. I suspect the car won't be here until June, or so.

BTW ... the T4 GTS will be Lava Orange / black, MT, 14/w leather sports seats, leather int, CF int pkg, CF heated steering whl, delete model in back.

T4 GTS comes with most of what I'd order anyway.
Old 02-12-2017, 08:12 PM
ENCT
Rennlist Member

Received 363 Likes on 187 Posts

Last November my dealer contacted me about the pull ahead program. Before this I sent him a possible build for a 4S. He called and said they had a December build allocation if I was interested. I said yes and I stopped up to put the build together. Next day he sent me the official build which I signed, he gave me a freeze date to change anything. After I signed everything I got a copy of the order and a sheet with all the dates, from start to delivery. Car was built a month early and it is in my garage. He also gave me the lease info as of the order date so I knew what I was in for, I learned what MRM is as well.
Eric
Old 02-12-2017, 08:24 PM
Baggerdude
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ENCT
Last November my dealer contacted me about the pull ahead program. Before this I sent him a possible build for a 4S. He called and said they had a December build allocation if I was interested. I said yes and I stopped up to put the build together. Next day he sent me the official build which I signed, he gave me a freeze date to change anything. After I signed everything I got a copy of the order and a sheet with all the dates, from start to delivery. Car was built a month early and it is in my garage. He also gave me the lease info as of the order date so I knew what I was in for, I learned what MRM is as well.
Eric
Thank you Eric ... that is what I was hoping for in a reply.

Weather's still an issue here in CT-Land ... but, I hope to get in contact with my LPD tomorrow and see this matches with your experience.

BTW ... what is MRM?
Old 02-12-2017, 08:35 PM
ENCT
Rennlist Member

Maximum residualized MSRP. When you lease a Porsche they have a maximum amount that they will residualize, any amount above that they do not and you pay 100% over the lease term. You can get that number from on your sales guy, each model has a different number. The allowed me about 28,000 in options at the standard depreciation, everything above that I pay 100%. I learned this the day I picked up my car because his lease number was more than I had figured. Evidently it helps them take back highly optioned cars that will not hold the value in the used car market after lease trade in. It does however reduce the price at the lease end in case you buy it. I also learned that when you do the pull ahead program they do not pro rate the mileage, you can give it back 12 months early with all your allowed mileage without penalty.
Eric
Old 02-12-2017, 08:53 PM
Baggerdude
Burning Brakes

Eric
Maximum residualized MSRP. When you lease a Porsche they have a maximum amount that they will residualize, any amount above that they do not and you pay 100% over the lease term. You can get that number from on your sales guy, each model has a different number. The allowed me about 28,000 in options at the standard depreciation, everything above that I pay 100%. I learned this the day I picked up my car because his lease number was more than I had figured. Evidently it helps them take back highly optioned cars that will not hold the value in the used car market after lease trade in. It does however reduce the price at the lease end in case you buy it. I also learned that when you do the pull ahead program they do not pro rate the mileage, you can give it back 12 months early with all your allowed mileage without penalty.
Eric
That is excellent information, Eric. Thank you.

I don't know how this will play out with my present car, which is highly optioned, but when I turned in my 997 Turbo cab for my built 991 turbo coupe, I received a $13,000 "discount" in the new car. But ... I had to negotiate. It was not offered. Go figure, eh.

I don't have many miles on my cars ... present car has around 8700 miles at the 2 year point. I will try to negotiate some 'discount' on my car when I talk to the sales manager.

I never think I get a good deal anyway. And, I suspect the T4 GTS will not have much (if any ...) discount since it will have pretty low production numbers. But, I suspect I'll pay a bit less than I'm paying presently for my lease.

We shall see.
Old 02-12-2017, 09:05 PM
ENCT
Rennlist Member

Hope all works out. I never feel like I get a good deal with Porsche, but I love my car and they know it.
Eric
Old 02-12-2017, 09:21 PM
Baggerdude
Burning Brakes

Hope all works out. I never feel like I get a good deal with Porsche, but I love my car and they know it.
Eric
I know, Eric. Sounds familiar.

Short story ... I went to the LPD to order / lease a 997 C4S in (?) '2007. Car was like $130K optioned. They offered me "floor mats".

This forum suggested I contact a dealer in Cleveland. I did ... GM answered the phone. I faxed him my build. He gave me $7500 off, nc clear bra, nc clear markers, nc hard wire V1 ... floor mats, too. And, gave me 2 nights at the Ritz on them. Kept me in the loop the entire process of build, shipping yada, yada. Picked me up at the airport for delivery. Gave me tank of gas / map said to ride around for a day to see if all was OK. I ate in my room, left in the morning ... cheap date I am. Was a nice deal.

However, nothing like the $10,000 off a $50,000 Siverado, eh?

But, as you say ... if you love Porsches, you pay the toll. It is what it is.
Old 02-12-2017, 09:53 PM
fuddman
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Baggerdude
... I don't understand the "allocation" deal. What does that mean relative to what goes on from this point on? Does that mean that this car has a specific date of production / delivery?
Or what?
Dealers get allocations from Porsche for specific models of Porsches, C2, C4, Targa, etc. In essence, it's a spot on the production line. The dealer then sells the allocation.
Informally, as far as date of production goes, you get a guestimate from your SA at this point. However, if your SA is savy, he can tell you pretty accurately when you can expect to pick up the car.
Formally, though, thing to look for now are the "Vehicle Status" codes that are used to tell you where your car is in the process. Codes are the big thing and you can find those through you sales rep. and on the build sheet he gives you.
Like your choice of transmission. What colors in and out?
Old 02-12-2017, 09:58 PM
Baggerdude
Burning Brakes

[QUOTE=fuddman;13954360
Like your choice of transmission. What colors in and out?[/QUOTE]

Lave Orange outside ... everything else Black. Car has mostly black bits, so ..

Some CF inside / steering wheel. I think I'll try to get deviated stitching in burnt orange, too. I have that on my present 991 Turbo with expresso leather. Very nice combo. But, think black leather with burnt orange stitching will work.

One reason for picking this car was the choice of MT. I love my Turbo, but find the PDK FAST, but not engaging. I guess I'm just old school.
Old 02-12-2017, 10:17 PM
fuddman
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Baggerdude
Lave Orange outside ... everything else Black. Car has mostly black bits, so ..

Some CF inside / steering wheel. I think I'll try to get deviated stitching in burnt orange, too. I have that on my present 991 Turbo with expresso leather. Very nice combo. But, think black leather with burnt orange stitching will work.

One reason for picking this car was the choice of MT. I love my Turbo, but find the PDK FAST, but not engaging. I guess I'm just old school.
Black wheels?
Old 02-12-2017, 10:48 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,779 Likes on 5,141 Posts

Pull ahead programs are fine, but at the end of the day it's just a way for the dealer (any dealer, not just Porsche) to keep the buyer in the leasing loop in perpetuity (or at least until death).

Quick Reply: Allocation question .... ?