Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

BG 44k Fuel System Cleaner

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2017 | 03:52 PM
woodranch
Pro

Default BG 44k Fuel System Cleaner

My buddy that works as a mechanic at a Porsche dealership gave me a few cans of this stuff. He says they use it all the time on the Porsches they work on. Any opinions on it and do any of you owners use it and how often. Thanks in advance!
Old 02-11-2017 | 04:00 PM
Macster
Race Director

Originally Posted by woodranch
My buddy that works as a mechanic at a Porsche dealership gave me a few cans of this stuff. He says they use it all the time on the Porsches they work on. Any opinions on it and do any of you owners use it and how often. Thanks in advance!
Over the years I have found a bottle of this stuff on the work invoice after having one of my car's in for an oil/filter service.

I don't know if it helps.

A while back a Porsche tech gave me a bottle of Swepco fuel system cleaner. I tried it in my 996 Turbo but I felt no improvement. I also tried two bottles -- one after the other -- of Techron with no improvement either.

(OTOH, after switching to Chevron gasoline -- from Shell -- my Boxster's engine perked up some. Throttle response was better as was the engine's low end.)

Try the stuff. Use according to directions. If you notice an improvement well, there you go.

If not, consider using a bottle of Techron. The bottle I get treats 20 gallons but I just dump the entire bottle in the fuel tank then fill up the fuel tank with the usual Chevron premium.

The general advice is to if after the 1st bottle you notice an improvement run a 2nd bottle.

Also, it is best to after using Techron to change the oil/filter. Techron can increase oil contamination and these engine's do not need any help -- so to speak -- in that area.
Old 02-11-2017 | 04:10 PM
LexVan
Banned

Here you go:

https://rennlist.com/forums/991/9074...fter-bg44.html
Old 02-11-2017 | 09:24 PM
OKB
Three Wheelin'

all bg products are good, almost all mechanics use some of them
Old 02-12-2017 | 01:40 AM
BlueSander
AutoX

All mechanics use some sort of fuel cleaner because it says it cleans the engine. Does it really work? Nobody can really tell. Even if it works, unless your engine is in horrible condition and you use this stuffs every fill up for a month or two, maybe, you will feel something. Otherwise, no, you are not going to feel your engine running any better. Also, I don't believe BG is Porsche approved. Some dealer just uses them. If you were taking a Camry to a Toyota dealer, they probably throw in some cheap fuel cleaner. Porsche dealers will use more expensive version fuel cleaner and I believe BG is one of the most expensive one out there. I personally tried it many years ago in an Audi. I also happened to did extension work on that car before using BG and sometimes afterwards, didn't see a thing.
Old 02-12-2017 | 02:19 PM
jlee504
Rennlist Member

I thought you were supposed to use fuel cleaners before oil changes. any cleaning that happens ends up in the oil and you have to switch it out no?

a BMW mechanic also recommended it and told me the right way to do it is before an oil change because after a can if it does its job right the oil will be very black.
Old 02-12-2017 | 05:18 PM
dloines
Advanced

I]Refueling
Fuel tank capacity is listed under “Capacities”.
Porsche does not recommend the use of fuel additives
[/I]
You will find that in the owners manual. Having said that, I have used 44k and chevron with tech fuel cleaners (On other vehicles) with some success. Never noticed a difference with the 44k, but the chevron cleaner made the engine response a tad better, and I noticed better mileage. There is a huge mark-up on the 44k and that seems to be what most dealers use, you can get the Chevron at a reasonable price at Advance auto, etc. But what has always bothered me is despite most saying you should use before an oil change and when the fuel tank is empty, dealers add after an oil service and will add even if you have a full tank of fuel???

The current school of thought is that any top tier gasoline has enough cleaning products blended in the fuel that additives are not necessary....
Old 02-12-2017 | 05:44 PM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by dloines
The current school of thought is that any top tier gasoline has enough cleaning products blended in the fuel that additives are not necessary....
Just in case it wasn't clear from dloines' post, his use of the term "top tier" is not just a casual term but an actual licensed name "Top Tier". Typically you find the Top Tier label on the pump of most major brands. I go with the idea that as long as I am used Top Tier gasolines then I don't need these other additives. I have a pickup truck humming happily at over 180,000 miles with no additives but only Top Tier fuels. It's not a high performance Porsche engine of course, but that's a lot of miles with a engine that still runs rock-solid with only routine maintenance.

Here is the Top Tier web page: http://www.toptiergas.com.

Here is the list of Top Tier vendors, but I generally double-check for the sticker if I end up somewhere that I'm not sure about.
http://www.toptiergas.com/licensedbrands/
Old 02-12-2017 | 05:46 PM
jlee504
Rennlist Member

Anyone use the Royal Purple stuff? I'm going to in my RS because it is also a fuel stabilizer for when I store my cars.
Old 02-12-2017 | 11:31 PM
OKB
Three Wheelin'

I always used chevron w/ techron and never any problems, now I switched to shell nitro+

http://www.shell.us/motorist/shell-f...-gasoline.html
Old 03-13-2017 | 03:12 PM
bugeyemilo
Rennlist Member

BG44k is widely regarded as one of the top injector cleaners. Granted, most of us (hopefully) strictly use high quality fuels negating ultra frequent use of the stuff, but it certainly cannot hurt every 30k or so..

Don't let a shop hit you hard on this. DYI for 22 bucks a can online.

Quick Reply: BG 44k Fuel System Cleaner