Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

No heater, 2 weeks out of warranty

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2018, 01:56 PM
oolor13
Racer

Received 40 Likes on 24 Posts

Wow, I'm getting major attitude from my service adviser about this.
Old 02-27-2018, 02:14 PM
GregD
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Sorry to hear... Bear in mind mine conked out 2 weeks out of warranty but my car has barely 18K miles. Your has 40K, I suppose $290 is not too bad in the grand scheme of things. What's annoying is Porsche and the dealers know those COV are bad and they are not recalling them, they keep using revision after revision and there's a bunch of them on the car... Honestly $290 from a dealer is probably not worth getting worked up about... Since they are giving you attitude, start doing service items yourself (oil, cabin filters, brakes - it' s a 2 way street). Conversely my dealer has treated me very fairly and I've given them work I normally might have done myself...
Old 02-27-2018, 02:31 PM
oolor13
Racer

Originally Posted by GregD
Sorry to hear... Bear in mind mine conked out 2 weeks out of warranty but my car has barely 18K miles. Your has 40K, I suppose $290 is not too bad in the grand scheme of things. What's annoying is Porsche and the dealers know those COV are bad and they are not recalling them, they keep using revision after revision and there's a bunch of them on the car... Honestly $290 from a dealer is probably not worth getting worked up about... Since they are giving you attitude, start doing service items yourself (oil, cabin filters, brakes - it' s a 2 way street). Conversely my dealer has treated me very fairly and I've given them work I normally might have done myself...
I'm only at 24k miles, I'm doing the service at the 4yr mark. The attitude from the SA right now is the biggest problem for me. She got pissed off when I questioned the price, noting that 1 hour for labor seems like much since the rear bumper is already off and the part is ~$45. I've been trying different dealers in the DC area, but after this experience, I don't think I'll be going back to this one.
Old 02-27-2018, 02:35 PM
Hurricane
Race Car

Received 691 Likes on 314 Posts

Originally Posted by oolor13
I'm only at 24k miles, I'm doing the service at the 4yr mark. The attitude from the SA right now is the biggest problem for me. She got pissed off when I questioned the price, noting that 1 hour for labor seems like much since the rear bumper is already off and the part is ~$45. I've been trying different dealers in the DC area, but after this experience, I don't think I'll be going back to this one.
Which dealer are you having problems with?
Old 02-27-2018, 02:39 PM
oolor13
Racer

Originally Posted by Hurricane
Which dealer are you having problems with?
Silver Spring.
Old 02-27-2018, 03:24 PM
plenum
Burning Brakes

Received 56 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by visitador
Doesn't the worksheet says "replaced coolant switch over valve?" Maybe some coolant came out
Actually the Vacuum system is part of the broader coolant system in the 991. So not surprised if the PIWIS coding references coolant switch (doesn't make much sense but....). Another odd example, if the COV for the exhaust flaps fail, the MFD will display a "Coolant" system warning. In other cases, like the heater issue, when that COV fails there isn't any particular message thrown or logged..... Go figure. LOL
Old 02-27-2018, 05:04 PM
Hurricane
Race Car

Silver Spring.
I've used Tysons Corner for the last four years for service and never had any problems with them.

Were they replaced previously under a campaign (they probably were)? Ask them to check, and if the ones they replaced failed, then they should replace these at no charge, too. Forget the SA, go to the service manager. Or just bring it over to Tysons for the COV problem and ask it Porsche would goodwill it - the COVs should NOT have failed after they were replaced.

I had a 2012.5 991S, built in November of 2011 that had the COVs replaced in September 2013 with a campaign. I bought the car in June 2014 and in September of 2014, the COVs for the heater and later the COVs for the PSE failed. My car was still under warranty at the time. If it hadn't been, I still would have politely pressed on the issue - the replacement ones should not have failed.

I also had a 2013 991S (with Powerkit, which also adds two more COVs) but had no problems with the COVs on that one.
Old 02-28-2018, 04:22 PM
Bud Taylor
Drifting

Received 424 Likes on 305 Posts
Default SA Attitude COV video

I would walk and never go back. My service advisor has a crappy attitude as well, it must be a finishing school they all attend. Find an Indy or do it yourself. Utube is great for stuff like this. I wish someone would create a replace COV valve video as I would like to replace mine proactively.

QUOTE=oolor13;14834159]I'm only at 24k miles, I'm doing the service at the 4yr mark. The attitude from the SA right now is the biggest problem for me. She got pissed off when I questioned the price, noting that 1 hour for labor seems like much since the rear bumper is already off and the part is ~$45. I've been trying different dealers in the DC area, but after this experience, I don't think I'll be going back to this one.[/QUOTE]
Old 02-28-2018, 05:23 PM
GregD
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

There are good and bad service advisors... I seem to rotate between 2 at mine (Sonnen) and both are super nice guys.
They have "comped" about $5000 of work on my car as courtesy repairs, the $$$ being the warping door panels post warranty... Porsche supplies some calculator, based on your car's age, mileage, where you service, how many porsches you've owned (no joke), and spits out something like 85% porsche, 15% you... I've had at least 3 big ticket items mostly for free that way (I paid anywhere for $25 to $15% of the bill). It helps if you throw them a bone, and treat them nicely. I always bring back a bottle of nice wine or whatever for them. I do the same for my independant. That small gesture invariably pays enormous dividends lifetime...

That said sounds like your SA is a class A *******, and you should feel free to pay the bill and then write to PCNA and explain your disappointment with the brand, the quality of the COV and the fact it is a known problem, the dealer's attitude, and the strange variability in charges (most of us got it done mostly free) . I once did and trust me, they called me ! And paid the bill...
Old 03-01-2018, 11:06 AM
oolor13
Racer

Update: the service manager discounted the repair on the changeover valve. Not comped, but a reasonable accommodation based on the situation. I still am not happy with the tone and attitude of the service adviser. I get the sense that she is new, other employees were walking her through the process of checking out when I picked up my car. If she continues talking to customers the way she did with me, she will not be at this job very long.
Old 03-01-2018, 11:21 AM
Hurricane
Race Car

Update: the service manager discounted the repair on the changeover valve. Not comped, but a reasonable accommodation based on the situation. I still am not happy with the tone and attitude of the service adviser. I get the sense that she is new, other employees were walking her through the process of checking out when I picked up my car. If she continues talking to customers the way she did with me, she will not be at this job very long.
Glad it worked out for you!

Quick Reply: No heater, 2 weeks out of warranty