Old 02-08-2017, 12:32 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,524 Likes on 1,571 Posts

Originally Posted by LTP
I just read up on COV yesterday... here is the link
https://rennlist.com/forums/991/8002...-on-991-a.html
its not $$ the part itself valve + wiring harness, make sure its F version, the 4th gen.
I had my replace by dealer, my car is 2012 earlier batch.
see if they can replace all 8 of them out of good will
Holy Crap!

Hey R_Rated, this look familliar?

Porsche heater changeover valve:

Volvo S60 / V70 R Turbo control (wastegate) valve:

This was a super common failure point on the 2004-2007 Volvo R's. All the forum guys replaced this thing ASAP with an aftermarket unit. Son of a gun, it's still around and it still sucks!

Old 02-08-2017, 01:00 PM
Grunty
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

So what you are saying is or Porsches have turbocharged heaters!
Old 02-08-2017, 01:03 PM
STG
Race Director

Received 193 Likes on 137 Posts

I didn't want to deal with any drama in the future on my 2012.5

I had all of them proactively changed at my cost. See my info in that link. Some had been replaced under a campaign, but Porsche was still trying to get rid of the previous versions first even though a newer one was out
Old 02-08-2017, 02:34 PM
Hurricane
Race Car

Received 653 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by STG
I didn't want to deal with any drama in the future on my 2012.5

I had all of them proactively changed at my cost. See my info in that link. Some had been replaced under a campaign, but Porsche was still trying to get rid of the previous versions first even though a newer one was out
Mine on my first 991S (a 2012.5) were changed with a campaign in Nov of 2013.....and when I had the car in fall of 2014, the replacements failed for the heater and the PSE. Replaced under warranty.

I asked the dealer what happens if they would fail again but outside the warranty and they told me (no guarantee) that most likely they would be covered under good will. I would be shocked if the OP wasn't taken care of with good will for the silly COVs.
Old 02-08-2017, 03:14 PM
GregD
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Hurricane
Mine on my first 991S (a 2012.5) were changed with a campaign in Nov of 2013.....and when I had the car in fall of 2014, the replacements failed for the heater and the PSE. Replaced under warranty.

I asked the dealer what happens if they would fail again but outside the warranty and they told me (no guarantee) that most likely they would be covered under good will. I would be shocked if the OP wasn't taken care of with good will for the silly COVs.
prepare to be shocked - he hinted they would try but since I am the second owner all bets are off... If the dealer does not help, I'll let them do one and from then on I'm off to an independent to proactively do the rest (at least the coolant one, possibly myself, doesn't look that hard once bumper is off)....
Old 02-08-2017, 03:28 PM
Hurricane
Race Car

Received 653 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by GregD
prepare to be shocked - he hinted they would try but since I am the second owner all bets are off... If the dealer does not help, I'll let them do one and from then on I'm off to an independent to proactively do the rest (at least the coolant one, possibly myself, doesn't look that hard once bumper is off)....
In my case, I was the second owner but the dealership has always treated me well - never as "the second owner." First class service.

Anyways, I wish you good luck with it and am sorry to hear that they failed in the first place (especially right out of warranty). Once they replace the faulty ones, I doubt you would have this problem again.

Cheers!
Old 02-09-2017, 02:31 PM
GregD
Racer

Just for grins, it consistently works in the morning, fails in the evening... My guess is heatsoak from the engine dries up the unit overnight. But rain (it's been non stop) soaks it again during the day and it fails until the engine heat dries it out again for a while.. No matter, booked for next wednesday, loaner and everything... Only issue might be a "failure to reproduce" if they test first thing int he morning and it works... Ugh.
Old 02-14-2017, 02:17 PM
GregD
Racer

Dealer tomorrow AM. My issue is the valve works in the AM and fails in the PM, like clockwork... 7 days in a row. Assuming they play dumb and cannot reproduce, or stick me with a Rev C, or do just that one and not all of them (as they generally do)... I see you can buy the F revision + the harness from suncoast, give or take $75 for both bits...

Can I DYI this without too much difficulty ? I downloaded the locations picture below, wish it was bigger but it's a good start... Based on the list of COVs, I wouldnot be surprised if on top of my heater, the Airbox one was defective (stumble sometimes in acceleration), and I wouldn't mind doing the coolant one proactively... Maybe even the tuning flap (what's that one exactly?)

1. Air Cleaner Flap
2. Acoustic Simulator
3. Heater Shut-Off Valve
4. Exhaust Flaps
5. Coolant Shut-Off Valve on Engine Bypass Circuit
6. Tuning Flap
7. Shut-Off Valve on Heat Exchanger for Gear Wheel Set Oil

Doable ? Drop the bumper or not even necessary ? Has anyone DYI'ed this ?
Attached Images  
Old 02-15-2017, 09:08 AM
JPKelz
AutoX

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think my COV was under a seat. My heater failed last year & was fixed under warranty. A day or so after this the dealer called to say when they replaced the seat, the mechanic hadn't used new fasteners (nuts/bolts?). These are apparently single use so the car was recalled to change these. I concluded that the COV was located under one of the seats however I might be referring to replacement of the illuminated door sills which both failed, I don't remember.
Old 02-15-2017, 09:33 AM
R_Rated
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Needsdecaf
Holy Crap!

Hey R_Rated, this look familliar?

Porsche heater changeover valve:

Volvo S60 / V70 R Turbo control (wastegate) valve:

This was a super common failure point on the 2004-2007 Volvo R's. All the forum guys replaced this thing ASAP with an aftermarket unit. Son of a gun, it's still around and it still sucks!

I was just going to post the same thing!

Here is the original:
http://www.vivaperformance.com/genui...50-c30-c70-t5/

And here is a much improved version(I was one of the original testers):
http://www.vivaperformance.com/high-...e-tcv-upgrade/
Old 02-15-2017, 11:15 PM
mmaturo
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Timely post. Just had my car in for 40K service and a fault code pointed out my heater wasn't working. It was these things. Under warranty but glad i'm in Florida and do not need heat if it really fails this much. Hadn't noticed it wasn't working.
Old 02-15-2017, 11:40 PM
GregD
Racer

Originally Posted by mmaturo
Timely post. Just had my car in for 40K service and a fault code pointed out my heater wasn't working. It was these things. Under warranty but glad i'm in Florida and do not need heat if it really fails this much. Hadn't noticed it wasn't working.
you had a code for this??? I did not. They took my word for it though and will replace under goodwill. Emboldened I mentioned the passenger heated seat button sometimes sticks to the windshield airflow button - maybe they'd replace the air control unit too. But I dare not hope :-)
Old 02-16-2017, 12:01 AM
Stevie
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Dealer tomorrow AM. My issue is the valve works in the AM and fails in the PM, like clockwork... 7 days in a row. Assuming they play dumb and cannot reproduce, or stick me with a Rev C, or do just that one and not all of them (as they generally do)... I see you can buy the F revision + the harness from suncoast, give or take $75 for both bits...

Can I DYI this without too much difficulty ? I downloaded the locations picture below, wish it was bigger but it's a good start... Based on the list of COVs, I wouldnot be surprised if on top of my heater, the Airbox one was defective (stumble sometimes in acceleration), and I wouldn't mind doing the coolant one proactively... Maybe even the tuning flap (what's that one exactly?)

1. Air Cleaner Flap
2. Acoustic Simulator
3. Heater Shut-Off Valve
4. Exhaust Flaps
6. Tuning Flap

GregD, I've removed the rear bumper cover and spoiler several time to service the airbox for another matter. Unfortunately, I've never changed a change over valve so don't know how the connections work. Shouldn't be hard to figure out_Steve

Video by ml414skidoo:
Old 02-16-2017, 12:24 AM
Stevie
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

1. Air Cleaner Flap
2. Acoustic Simulator
3. Heater Shut-Off Valve
4. Exhaust Flaps
6. Tuning Flap

GregD, I've removed the rear bumper cover and spoiler several time to service the airbox for another matter. Unfortunately, I've never changed a change over valve so don't know how the connections work. Shouldn't be hard to figure out_Steve

Video by ml414skidoo:
Old 02-16-2017, 12:30 AM
GregD
Racer

That was a great video! Thank you very much for taking the time ! Looks easy and I spotted at least 3 COVs already!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: No heater, 2 weeks out of warranty