Sponsored by:

Should I trade in my .1GT3 for a .2GTS?

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2017, 09:27 PM
First991
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rk-d
Once you get the itch to move on, it is inevitable.

3000 miles in 2 years is basically not driving it, particularly given that the majority of those miles probably happened early in ownership. If OP has not been driving it so far, that's not likely to change.

It's no fun to feel obligated to drive something to justify ownership. Been there, done that.

Depending on your roads and lifestyle and interests, GT cars aren't always a good fit. Porsche makes a 911 for every type.
+1. and if the GT3 didn't hold value the way it does, i'm betting the OP would have already sold it and moved on.

i may be biased, but i made the mistake of pampering a garage queen that i never drove. never again
Old 02-05-2017, 09:31 PM
Rezus
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by VWfamily
FWIW. Keep the GT3. A unique car and color! Drive it more
This
Old 02-05-2017, 09:35 PM
Izzone
Nordschleife Master

Received 293 Likes on 148 Posts

sell me your gt3...or I have a really nice c4S cab to trade you for it
Old 02-05-2017, 09:36 PM
Daekwan
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by EricHai
Hi,

I've had my 2015 Signal Green GT3 for almost two years. I don't drive it often and only put ~3000mi on the clock. I dd my Macan S which is fun but not as fun as a 911. So when the .2gts was released, I was thinking if I should replace my GT3 with a newer GTS.

Pros:
1. I can daily drive GTS and have fun every day not just weekends. The GT3 is a little bit too extreme and the color is not good for daily driving.
2. GTS has rear seats, so I can take my dog on road trips. Road trip with Macan is boring.
3. I never tracked my GT3. I test drove a manual 991.2s yesterday, I feel like it is a better car for me, if I only drive it on road.

Cons:
1. The depreciation on GTS. GT3 holds its value much better than GTS.
2. 9K rpm NA engine is epic. The GTS, ...well, it is turbo charged.
3. I really love the color. I smile every time when I see my car, in garage.

Not list all pros and cons. Guys, what do you think. I need you help.
I'm 42 and it feels like life is flying by faster than ever. I don't care how low the depreciation is on a vehicle, if you aren't driving it.. then you aren't using it. I'm not sure if I'd go for a .2 GTS because of the depreciation. But I'd definitely recommend you get a .2 car so you could actually drive the darn thing on a daily or weekly basis. Actually driving the car.. is the answer to every question you've already asked.

I've never understood the mentality of buying a car and not driving it. Whether you sell it, garage queen it, get older and have health issues or eventually die.. its is absolutely guaranteed that one day will come when you simply won't be able to drive it anymore. And at that point, the only thought in your mind won't be depreciation.. it will be "why didnt I drive the damn thing more?"
Old 02-05-2017, 09:50 PM
Bemo
Drifting

Received 262 Likes on 172 Posts

Within OP's question lies the answer and the total miles driven to date are the evidence slapping you on the forehead.

Cut your losses and sell the car, soon!
Hold it longer and some of the folks who responded on this thread will happily relieve you of the asset for pennies on the dollar.
Old 02-05-2017, 10:16 PM
Rezus
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 8 Posts

This is the problem with having 2 cars, often times you end up driving the other car. If you get GTS, sell the Macan too or the miles won't be much more
Old 02-05-2017, 10:40 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,779 Likes on 5,141 Posts

What's wrong with DD'ing the GT3?

That's exactly what I do. Each and every drive is special, even the occasional trip to Costco.
Old 02-05-2017, 11:53 PM
mdork
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 34 Posts

If all you have to worry about is a dog...just sell the Macan and get a GTS (or any other 991 variant) to daily drive. Keep the GT3.
Old 02-06-2017, 12:10 AM
jimbo1111
Banned

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

If you can't get a 991.2 gt3 than a 991.1 7speed is the best your going to get. Porsche is a wild bunch of engineers. Best configuration is a 6 speed 3.8 with no RWS and no torque vectoring. can it happen? Yes, but the competition won't allow for it. So it perfect car is never going to materialize.
Old 02-06-2017, 12:16 AM
Dalema
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Check out the HFS thread a pick yourself up a nice manual CPO 991.1 GTS. I'd at least drive one, to see if it would fit your needs. From your description, I think it would. Good luck!
Old 02-06-2017, 01:10 AM
randr
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

The answer is staring you in the face - you clearly want to change

The 991.2 GTS is a fantastic car, every bit as fast and probably faster than the GT3.

Keep in mind you can option rear axle steering and PASM-S with PDCC. Essentially GT3 hand me downs

Moreover, you can option it to your taste and better still utilise the rear seats as you stated.

Don't sell the Macan for a M3 (as someone suggested) its a very numb car. Don't go for the 991.1 GTS (as good a car as it is) - Porsche has upped the ante significantly with the .2 series cars.

IMHO there is little point having a track focussed car if its not used for that purpose.
Old 02-06-2017, 01:33 AM
EricHai
Advanced

Originally Posted by randr
The answer is staring you in the face - you clearly want to change

The 991.2 GTS is a fantastic car, every bit as fast and probably faster than the GT3.

Keep in mind you can option rear axle steering and PASM-S with PDCC. Essentially GT3 hand me downs

Moreover, you can option it to your taste and better still utilise the rear seats as you stated.

Don't sell the Macan for a M3 (as someone suggested) its a very numb car. Don't go for the 991.1 GTS (as good a car as it is) - Porsche has upped the ante significantly with the .2 series cars.

IMHO there is little point having a track focussed car if its not used for that purpose.
For me, Macan is a must. My wife drives it sometimes, but she still says its too stiff. 991.1GTS is a good car, but I will only trade the 3 for something new.
Old 02-06-2017, 07:53 AM
Penn4S
Rennlist Member

Received 1,337 Likes on 753 Posts

Don't know what could possibly keep you from driving that car daily when the weather works. That color is awesome I can't imagine why you think the color is a deterrent to driving daily.
The GT3 is a special car, you will regret letting it go.
Old 02-06-2017, 08:37 AM
djcxxx
Three Wheelin'

Received 349 Likes on 176 Posts

The GT3 had several drawbacks I could not get around and frankly I am delighted w/ my .2 C2S far more than I was w/ the GT3. Don't expect the .1 GT3 values to hold up as well as they have been once the .2GT3 debuts. The .1 GT3 engine still has issues and given the choice between a .1 and a .2 what direction do you think most people will go? I seriously doubt that .2 GT3 supply will be limited over the long run so the early frenzy over the MT may cause allocation shortages but once that (smaller than people think) niche has been filled the supply chain will loosen up and then the .1 values will really drop. The GTS to your specifications will be a much more usable and ultimately enjoyable car.
Old 02-06-2017, 09:30 AM
996_soon
Instructor

I don't own a GT3 or a dog. However, if I was in your situation, I would keep the GT3 and figure out a way to transport your dog? Not sure if this is feasible. As others mention, life is short and you own a bad a$$ car that I would love to own. Drive it more, track it, and still do your weekend trips. I need two rear seats for small kids, or else I'd be looking at a GT3.

Quick Reply: Should I trade in my .1GT3 for a .2GTS?