Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bernt Spiegel

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2017, 10:20 PM
djcxxx
Three Wheelin'

Received 349 Likes on 176 Posts

It was Immanuel Kant who stated that we understand the world through our senses and the corollary is that we use tools to extend the range of our senses to better understand the world. So in a sense a microscope or x ray machine is analogous to a prosthetic eye extending its range of sense. The car or bike comparison goes further suggesting that we 'wear' the device and it becomes an extension of our physical being. For a single seat jet fighter the unity between pilot and machine is likely greater as the jet is not fixed to the earth adding even greater fluidity of motion at the pilot's instant command including helmets with controls that respond to head movement.
Old 02-04-2017, 12:25 AM
crossroads
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I just had this experience for a week in the Upper Peninsula Michigan...on my snow machine. No power steering. No emissions. Just loud and fast. You control it with your whole body and feel every nuance of the trail. It may not be for everyone but man is it addicting!
Old 02-04-2017, 10:37 AM
titleistaddict87
Three Wheelin'

Received 126 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by rkwfxd
Titelist..... please tell me more about how you'd like to make your 991S a "Baby R." What is your configuration and what mods are you planning? TIA
Will start a separate thread for this given I'll probably receive 1000 opinions.
Old 02-04-2017, 12:47 PM
Caoticvet
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by TerryC4S
Of my many Porsches. This is the one that came the closest for me. I still regret selling it.

I concur. My 991 is a compromise due to family. My spyder with MT and race exhaust was pure Porsche experience. I thoroughly enjoyed every drive even at legal speeds. Should have held onto it but new baby and new home took priority.
Old 02-04-2017, 01:08 PM
MagicRat
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Glad this has resonated with some people, and great to learn it came from Kant.

I think it's also the reason I like PDK. Don't get me wrong, I love changing gears in the Spyder, but there is just something about being able to shift at the speed of thought while keeping one's hands on the wheel. If I ever had a GT car I think I would want it to be PDK.

Quick Reply: Bernt Spiegel