Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Girodisc upgrade on 991 GTS with Centerlocks

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2017, 05:33 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 179 Likes on 126 Posts

NA430GTS....ok..yeah I can't figure why Porsche says I need this specialty socket to remove pads

https://www.suncoastparts.com/product/SKU990.html

I'm a wiz with 996-997 brakes...but the 991.2 calipers on my GTS have the torx like bolt,on the outer caliper face that Porsche says I have to take off to get pads off.
Old 08-13-2017, 07:56 PM
cajerseyboy
Banned

Received 180 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by mdrums
NA430GTS....ok..yeah I can't figure why Porsche says I need this specialty socket to remove pads

https://www.suncoastparts.com/product/SKU990.html

I'm a wiz with 996-997 brakes...but the 991.2 calipers on my GTS have the torx like bolt,on the outer caliper face that Porsche says I have to take off to get pads off.
You would need that socket if you were not removing the entire caliper from the rotors.
Old 08-13-2017, 08:16 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Originally Posted by NA430GTS
You would need that socket if you were not removing the entire caliper from the rotors.
Thanks makes sense...I'm going to do caliper studs and just remove the caliper. Seems easier and I can clean it and check the piston boots.
Old 08-23-2017, 03:09 PM
TrackDays247.com
Former Vendor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hit me up when rotors needed - best pricing via e-mail/phone
Old 08-25-2017, 08:12 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Anyone have a used set of brake pad sensors? They do not have to work. I just really need the plugs and about 2" of the wires coming out of the sensor plugs.

On my business trip this week I paid a visit to Clarke and Linda at Apex Performance. Bought a Stilo helmet and GiroDisc front and rear rotors and a few other accessories. The pads I chose to check out are the Ferodo DS2500. They are suppose to have rear pads in a couple weeks so I won't get to install it all for a while. I'm use to Pagid Yellows but the ds2500 are suppose to be easier on rotors and a dual purpose street and track.day pad. I'll see how they do as Sebring is hard on brakes.

I am going to call Tarret and get caliper bolts and the brake line bracket studs too. Hopefully the DS2500 pads do not squeal on the street. This car doubles a little as the wife's car...used 2-3 times a week.

I have a set of OZ wheels, new Sport Cup 2 tires, Castrol SRF as well.

It will be good to get back to the track in a couple months.
Old 08-26-2017, 08:17 AM
cajerseyboy
Banned

Anyone have a used set of brake pad sensors? They do not have to work. I just really need the plugs and about 2" of the wires coming out of the sensor plugs.
I wish I did. I threw mine out and got new ones in fear that not replacing would cause a brake line fault that would annoy me more than the cost of the sensors. Are you trying to prevent a brake pad sensor fault? How would that work exactly with two wires that go to nothing?

Good luck with the upgrade! My brakes are squeaking like mad. Trying a pretty aggressive bedding procedure recommended by another member. I have the stock GT3 pads. Maybe yours will have different results.
Old 08-26-2017, 10:26 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Originally Posted by NA430GTS
I wish I did. I threw mine out and got new ones in fear that not replacing would cause a brake line fault that would annoy me more than the cost of the sensors. Are you trying to prevent a brake pad sensor fault? How would that work exactly with two wires that go to nothing?

Good luck with the upgrade! My brakes are squeaking like mad. Trying a pretty aggressive bedding procedure recommended by another member. I have the stock GT3 pads. Maybe yours will have different results.
These sensors are just a simple circuit loop....when the pad wears to a predetermined level it rubs the part connected/clipped to the pad and breaks the circuit and that causes the brake warning light.

So all you do is cut the wires coming from the plug, twist them together ...I add a little solder and I heat shrink the ends shut.

Since I check my pads all the time I don't need all this sensor wiring getting in the way when I change pads from track pads to street pads.
Old 08-26-2017, 01:17 PM
cajerseyboy
Banned

These sensors are just a simple circuit loop....when the pad wears to a predetermined level it rubs the part connected/clipped to the pad and breaks the circuit and that causes the brake warning light.

So all you do is cut the wires coming from the plug, twist them together ...I add a little solder and I heat shrink the ends shut.

Since I check my pads all the time I don't need all this sensor wiring getting in the way when I change pads from track pads to street pads.
Well that makes perfect sense. This will save me some $$ the next time I change pads. Now there is even more savings with this DIY.
Old 08-10-2018, 04:14 PM
jplohg
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sold my 991.1 C2S for a 991.2 GTS, so time to do this project all over again!
Old 08-10-2018, 05:12 PM
AAK GTS
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

One of the vendors on RL questioned using the front GT3 brake pads with the stock calipers on my 2016 911 GTS because of its larger size compared to stock. From the above posts it seems to work just fine as long as you use the A1-032 Girodisc.
Old 08-10-2018, 05:46 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Originally Posted by AAK GTS
One of the vendors on RL questioned using the front GT3 brake pads with the stock calipers on my 2016 911 GTS because of its larger size compared to stock. From the above posts it seems to work just fine as long as you use the A1-032 Girodisc.
Contact Clark at Apex Performance... apexperformance.net he knows the pads that work and also sells GiroDisc....great guy and company to deal with and great prices too.
Old 08-10-2018, 05:55 PM
jplohg
Instructor

Contact Clark at Apex Performance... apexperformance.net he knows the pads that work and also sells GiroDisc....great guy and company to deal with and great prices too.
Clark is your guy. Knows this stuff cold. BTW, I do have the 032 girodiscs up front specifically to allow for the larger gt3 pads. They are a must if you want to use those bigger pads. The rotor is still 350mm, but the hat is smaller, thus allowing the bigger gt3 pad.
Old 08-10-2018, 05:56 PM
jplohg
Instructor

Originally Posted by jplohg

Clark is your guy. Knows this stuff cold. BTW, I do have the 032 girodiscs up front specifically to allow for the larger gt3 pads. They are a must if you want to use those bigger pads. The rotor is still 350mm, but the hat is smaller, thus allowing the bigger gt3 pad.
calipers themselves aren’t an issue
Old 08-10-2018, 05:59 PM
AAK GTS
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by jplohg

calipers themselves aren’t an issue
So the larger GT3 pads fit the GTS calipers just fine?
Old 08-10-2018, 06:02 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Originally Posted by AAK GTS
So the larger GT3 pads fit the GTS calipers just fine?
If you use the Giro Disc rotors they do.. i swap stock gts/carrera s pads for GT3 pads for track days

even though the giro rotor and stock rotor are both 350mm the hat on the giro is smaller so the gt3 shape pad fits

Quick Reply: Girodisc upgrade on 991 GTS with Centerlocks