Sponsored by:

Girodisc upgrade on 991 GTS with Centerlocks

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2018, 06:13 PM
jplohg
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mdrums

If you use the Giro Disc rotors they do.. i swap stock gts/carrera s pads for GT3 pads for track days

even though the giro rotor and stock rotor are both 350mm the hat on the giro is smaller so the gt3 shape pad fits
Ditto what mdrums said. I do the same. The stock calipers don't need to be changed.
Old 08-10-2018, 06:22 PM
Sidvicious7
Burning Brakes

Received 135 Likes on 85 Posts
Default A1-032 Girodisc

I installed the A1-032 Girodisc on the front end of my coupe and upgraded to GT3 brake pads, and A2-032 rotors in the rear with OEM pads. Kit comes with longer caliper bolts and 12mm spacer for rear setup. The large front six piston calipers allow for large diameter rotors. The kit also came with new front caliper bolts (OEM size); rear caliper bolts are longer than the OEM bolts. There is sufficient room where the Girodisc rotors will not rub on the calipers and the GT3 pads sufficiently cover the surface area on the front rotors.

OEM FR Rotor Diameter: 340mm
Girodisc Fr Rotor Diameter: 350mm

OEM Rear Rotor Diameter: 330mm
Girodisc Rear Rotor Diameter: 350mm

A1-032 - Front Rotors (350mm) with GT3 Pads

A2-032 - Rear Rotors (350mm)

The following users liked this post:
Martin S. (09-02-2023)
Old 08-10-2018, 09:52 PM
MaynardZed
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Thanks for the info. I'm getting my new to me 991.1 GTS prepped for some time trials work. I'm sticking with OEM for now, but these upgrades might be my next step if they don't hold. I'll put fresh SRF fluid in there and I'm pretty easy on brakes as a driver (all they do is seem to slow you down). I can usually go a whole year of races in my E36 on one set of pads, haven't changed the rotors in a few years. Slower, lighter car though of course.
Old 09-02-2023, 06:00 AM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 525 Likes on 347 Posts

Great and informative posts.....but t seem the I am confused (Again).

But what is the function or the five (5) studs on the inner side of the hat? Haven’t had the wheels off my 2017 991.2 GTS in over a year and I am confused about the purpose and function of these 5 studs. Also, what is the size of the Allen wrench the fits these studs? And what is their correct torque setting?
Old 09-02-2023, 06:06 AM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

This may be a duplicate post, for give me if hat is the case.

Getting ready to buy a set of front A1-032 rotors for my 991.2 Carrera GTS.

I am, wondering about the the function or the five (5) studs on the inner side of the hat? Haven’t had the wheels off my 2017 991.2 GTS in over a year and I am confused about the purpose and function of these 5 studs.

Also, what is the size of the Allen wrench the fits these studs? And what is their correct torque setting?
Old 09-02-2023, 02:29 PM
Meraki Autoworks
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 212 Likes on 183 Posts

Got these in stock for anyone interested.

-Josh

Your #1 Dealer for Aftermarket Performance Products
BC Forged / Soul Performance / Akrapovic / Bilstein / HRE / AL13 / CSF + more

Orange County, CA
Email: info@merakiautoworks.com
Text/Call: 213 394 2886

Old 09-02-2023, 05:22 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Default More on Floating Rotors

My friend Bobby G sent me this. I can't seem to upload the pic he refers to, but you get the idea. I'll continue to try uploading the pic.
It's somewhere in the link below.

See how the brake'sAluminum Hat and Rotor Ring are coupled together by "T-Bobbins" that allow some "float" motion between the parts. This float allows the disc to expand radially and laterally when heated. The amount of motion is small and indicated in RED. This helps to maintain the shape of the disc minimizing cracking and improving overall brake feel as the rotor heats up.

ALSO the float the disc to remain centered in the caliper under suspension loading in corners - this is all important for trail braking feel.

The Wafer Springs take up the float slack so the system doesn't rattle in use. The original 930 Turbo discs were fully floating and the noise complaints made Porsche start using solid bolted hats without bobbins.

Anyone who can't wait, I can email the pic to you....send me a PM if you want it. The info on file with chamerly@apexperformance.net He is my GiroDisc "hero" and dealer. This guy is epic.
t-bobbin-floating-brake-rotor-1788533714.jpg
t-bobbin-floating-brake-rotor-1788533714.jpg

Attached Files
File Type: html
Floating Disc.html (1.53 MB, 46 views)
Old 09-03-2023, 11:40 AM
911BOSS
Rennlist Member

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

Here you go.

Martin S. (09-03-2023)
Old 09-03-2023, 12:52 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

991BOSS:

Thanks, I just couldn't seem to upload that image to the string.

Old 09-07-2023, 08:28 AM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

I just ordered a set of from GIRO DISC rotors from my 2017 991.2 GTS from Apex Performance, specifically from Clark (chamerly@apexperformance.net). He is drop shipping these to me in San Diego from GIRO located in WA state. As mentioned earlier by me and others, Clark is very helpful.

Cost? At $1,300 list price a set, they are more expensive than OEM, but the performance benefits more than make up for the increased cost. Also, keep in mind, .the GIRO rotors are available separately, reuse the hats, for $850, which includes new mounting pins. Next upgrade, get GIRO rear rotors.

I have had GIRO front rotors in the past, on my former 2004 GT3. Had the car on the rack on many occasions, excellent brake performance and no possibility of rotors cracking. The lighter weight is always a positive.

Update, I just received my new front Giro Disc rotors. As Sidvicious7 mentions in an earlier post, the new rotors come with 2 sets of front caliper bolts. Now that's a nice touch! My DIY partner and I are installing the Giro Disc rotors soon. I can hardly wait.

Last edited by Martin S.; 09-09-2023 at 07:03 AM.
Old 10-29-2023, 09:25 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Martin S.
Update, I just received my new front Giro Disc rotors. As Sidvicious7 mentions in an earlier post, the new rotors come with 2 sets of front caliper bolts. Now that's a nice touch! My DIY partner and I are installing the Giro Disc rotors soon. I can hardly wait.
Well, I had to wait a little longer: The 2 sets of custom front caliper bolts and spacers, that I received with my new GiroDisc rotors, are for a 991.1 GTS application, NOT my 991.2 GTS that utilizes Factory caliper bolts. As GiroDisc states on their web site, supply the correct model and year of your car, and if that car were to require custom front caliper bolts and spacers, they will be included at no charge. That was NOT the case for my GiroDisc order: Incorrect model and year info was supplied to GiroDisc, and for that reason, I receiver incorrect rotors.

The 991.1 GTS rotor can be made to fit, but that requires adding additional 3 mm spacers added to the four (4) GiroDisc custom caliper bolts, added to the 6 mm spacers that are sent with the 991.1 kit. As I have mentioned in other related threads, GiroDisc and Clark at Apex Performance took good care of feeble me. They replaced the "wrong" front rotors with the correct front rotors. They have been installed on my 991.2 Carrera GTS, and the incorrect correct are in the process of being returned.

Last edited by Martin S.; 10-30-2023 at 10:35 AM.
Old 10-30-2023, 04:32 AM
Clubber
Racer

Received 499 Likes on 104 Posts

This thread is full of great information.

Girodisc all around + GT3 pads for fronts could be the next upgrade for me.

Does anyone know if Giro+GT3 pads squeal like race pads or are they are quieter, like stock GTS setup ?

Martin S. (10-30-2023)
Old 10-31-2023, 09:31 PM
mangu
Advanced

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Clubber
This thread is full of great information.

Girodisc all around + GT3 pads for fronts could be the next upgrade for me.

Does anyone know if Giro+GT3 pads squeal like race pads or are they are quieter, like stock GTS setup ?
Read around in the forum. There are various factors that contribute to brake squeal.

I for one can say, the noisiest squeal I have had to experience was with the stock rotors and stock pads. Maybe it was a factor from my heavier Targa 4 GTS.

I have found great success in quiet brakes by lubricating 2X per year (Spring changeover to summer wheels/tires and Fall changeover to winter wheels/tires) with anti-squeal grease on all contact points of the pad;: back of pad and caliper piston contact points, and rim of frame of pad where it makes contact with caliper springs.
Old 11-02-2023, 03:34 AM
Clubber
Racer

Received 499 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by mangu
Read around in the forum. There are various factors that contribute to brake squeal.

I for one can say, the noisiest squeal I have had to experience was with the stock rotors and stock pads. Maybe it was a factor from my heavier Targa 4 GTS.

I have found great success in quiet brakes by lubricating 2X per year (Spring changeover to summer wheels/tires and Fall changeover to winter wheels/tires) with anti-squeal grease on all contact points of the pad;: back of pad and caliper piston contact points, and rim of frame of pad where it makes contact with caliper springs.
Yes, anti squeal greases help a lot as I know from my CSL's AP setup but I like to know how is the giro+gt3 pads sound out of the box, that woud be important for me as I usually daily drive the gts and I don't want a bus squeal
Old 11-02-2023, 03:03 PM
Watson
Burning Brakes

Received 325 Likes on 235 Posts

Originally Posted by mangu
I have OEM brake (steel) discs and pads on my 991.1 Targa 4 GTS, less than 2000miles on them, no squeal so far.
I don't do track driving but normal driving (citw, motorway) and spirited drives on back roads.

Quick Reply: Girodisc upgrade on 991 GTS with Centerlocks