Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Girodisc upgrade on 991 GTS with Centerlocks

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2017, 10:40 AM
cajerseyboy
Banned

Received 180 Likes on 95 Posts

I'm finally getting around to the upgrade. Front 2 rotors and brakes completed.
Rears today with an oil change and brake fluid change.
Attached Images     
Old 08-12-2017, 10:43 AM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,117 Likes on 666 Posts

Need lots of pics or vid

Old 08-12-2017, 03:15 PM
Jbgill6535
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by NA430GTS
I'm finally getting around to the upgrade. Front 2 rotors and brakes completed.
Rears today with an oil change and brake fluid change.

Nice. How has the install been so far?
Old 08-12-2017, 04:52 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 179 Likes on 126 Posts

Subscribing.....on my 997GTS I had installed a GT3 stock brake system...swapped pads from track to street.

Just got. 2017 991 GTS and going back to the track. I've bought from Clark at Apex before and will be on a sales trip,in a week and stopping buy for new helmet and looking into these GiroDisc rotors.

I have 5 lug this time...thank god!....lol....but it seems like the brake pads are bolted to the calipers and I need a special socket to remove pads?

I understand the track pads I need:
Ferodo or Pagid GT3 991 size for fronts?
Padgig GTS size for rear????

So question is the rear goes from stock 330mm to Giro Disc 350mm...so how does the stock pad cover the extra 20mm rotor size?

For street use I need:
Stock front GT3 991 pad?
Rear I can use the stock pads I already have???

Tarett 95mm caliper studs front and rear?

Thanks
Old 08-12-2017, 05:34 PM
cajerseyboy
Banned

Originally Posted by Jbgill6535
Nice. How has the install been so far?
Just finished installing new rotors and brake pads. Also doing an oil change. Will be starting brake fluid flush shortly.

First rotor took a while just to understand the caliper, brake pad replacement, brake sensor and brake fluid system as I've never done this type of maintenance on any vehicle before. Happy to answer any specific questions from the forum.

This was a helpful video on Rotor brake pad changes.

This was extremely helpful for the oil change.
https://rennlist.com/forums/991/9780...il-change.html

I will be viewing this before flushing brake fluid with SRF.
Old 08-12-2017, 05:45 PM
cajerseyboy
Banned

Originally Posted by mdrums
Subscribing.....on my 997GTS I had installed a GT3 stock brake system...swapped pads from track to street.

Just got. 2017 991 GTS and going back to the track. I've bought from Clark at Apex before and will be on a sales trip,in a week and stopping buy for new helmet and looking into these GiroDisc rotors. this is for a 2015-16 GTS

I have 5 lug this time...thank god!....lol....but it seems like the brake pads are bolted to the calipers and I need a special socket to remove pads? correct

I understand the track pads I need:
Ferodo or Pagid GT3 991 size for fronts?
Padgig GTS size for rear???? clark is your best source but I did use GT3 stock for front and 991 S stock for rear. I'm heading to werks reunion and don't have a track day on the books so I did not install my Pagids.

So question is the rear goes from stock 330mm to Giro Disc 350mm...so how does the stock pad cover the extra 20mm rotor size? it doesn't. The rear caliper is the limiting factor on the rear rotor. But it's a very small area that it doesn't cover on the inside ring.

For street use I need:
Stock front GT3 991 pad? that would work
Rear I can use the stock pads I already have???
yes but it's recommended to use new pads w new rotors.
Tarett 95mm caliper studs front and rear? yes I believe they are 95mm

Thanks
Happy to help!
Old 08-12-2017, 06:18 PM
cajerseyboy
Banned

One question I had was on the torque needed for the small rotor bolts. Any info on this?
Attached Images  
Old 08-12-2017, 06:54 PM
mdrums
Race Director

One question I had was on the torque needed for the small rotor bolts. Any info on this?
I had center locks on my 997GTS.....these drive pins are really only there basically for alignment to the wheel. There is a small amount if any of wheel torque put to them..after all they are Aluminum with tiny bolts....the spec is 23ft lbs

Usually I just tighten them with my socket until tight and they were thread locked in with blue lock tight. I got real good at removing them and saving them for future use when changing rotors.

Last edited by mdrums; 08-12-2017 at 07:36 PM.
Old 08-12-2017, 07:50 PM
Sidvicious7
Burning Brakes

Received 131 Likes on 82 Posts
Default Rear Rotors

Happy to help!
When the rear stock rotors (330mm) are upgrade to the GiroDisc 350mm the kit comes with a set of 12mm caliper spacers and longer bolts. Each rotor is specifically identified for the correct corner. Standard size rear brake pads are installed and the void created by the larger rotors is inconsequential.
Old 08-12-2017, 08:24 PM
cajerseyboy
Banned

Originally Posted by mdrums
I had center locks on my 997GTS.....these drive pins are really only there basically for alignment to the wheel. There is a small amount if any of wheel torque put to them..after all they are Aluminum with tiny bolts....the spec is 23ft lbs

Usually I just tighten them with my socket until tight and they were thread locked in with blue lock tight. I got real good at removing them and saving them for future use when changing rotors.
Tried 23 and it felt too tight for aluminum threads. Did the 997 have aluminum internal receiving threads?

The tarret bolt instructions were to tighten the bolt into the aluminum hub to only 5lbs to let the screw compound cure without aluminum threads being stripped. They were very clear that aluminum threads are not strong and can easily strip.
Old 08-12-2017, 09:50 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Tried 23 and it felt too tight for aluminum threads. Did the 997 have aluminum internal receiving threads?

The tarret bolt instructions were to tighten the bolt into the aluminum hub to only 5lbs to let the screw compound cure without aluminum threads being stripped. They were very clear that aluminum threads are not strong and can easily strip.
I can't remember....but the rotors were iron and the drive pins on 997 cars bolted to the rotor. I believe for example on the 991 gt3 cars the drive pins bolt to the hub. Not sure about GTS and Turbo though.

Honestly I usually didn't torque these...just tightened them with a little blue locktite. I reused drive pins for about 2-3 rotor changes...if I could get them off with out issues. Some pins came off some just wouldn't. I had a large stock of new to used pins to choose from.

What a PITA...drums not miss CL's at all...lol
Old 08-13-2017, 12:50 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Originally Posted by Sidvicious7
When the rear stock rotors (330mm) are upgrade to the GiroDisc 350mm the kit comes with a set of 12mm caliper spacers and longer bolts. Each rotor is specifically identified for the correct corner. Standard size rear brake pads are installed and the void created by the larger rotors is inconsequential.
Ok thanks...get it...the swept area of the 350 and 330mm rotors are the same..the 350mm rotor just moves the swept area outward for better brake torque.
Old 08-13-2017, 03:40 PM
cajerseyboy
Banned

Some pics of the final product.
Attached Images    
Old 08-13-2017, 03:46 PM
mdrums
Race Director

NA430GTS...that's great....

There is a bolt top and bottom of caliper facing you...multi rib torx type of bolt. Suncoast sells a socket,for this and says you need it to remove the brake pads. I've seen others remove pads with out this but how are the pads actually bolted to the caliper but yet still move towards the rotor?

With 20" wheels there so much more room for bigger brakes. I'm thinking maybe the 380mm Turbo rotors and calipers might retro fit right on since the same uprights are shared unlike the GT3 cars.
Old 08-13-2017, 04:53 PM
cajerseyboy
Banned

No tools needed to remove brake pads in my experience yesterday. See pic. There is a metal spring that gives resistance then the brake pad connects to the two circular hubs and goes in. White arrows point to where the springs are on each end of caliper. I needed to use a wire cutter to cut the brake pad sensor wires that are routed thru the middle spring in the pic.

BUT you will probably need to bleed the calipers to push the pistons back into the housing. I needed to do this on 3 of the 4 calipers. I grabbed the caliper pistons with my hands and a paper towel and squeezed them to push the brake fluid out into the bleeder bottle.

Worn brakes and rotors are thinner than new so I couldn't get the new brakes around the new rotors without bleeding them. Good video here on bleeding.
Attached Images   

Quick Reply: Girodisc upgrade on 991 GTS with Centerlocks