TrackDays247.com
Former Vendor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Looking good!
Old 03-22-2017, 05:26 PM
cajerseyboy
Banned

Received 180 Likes on 95 Posts

Jason, How is the set up working for you? I still haven't pulled the trigger yet. Waiting till my year end (march) to move forward.
Old 04-17-2017, 10:47 PM
jplohg
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by NA430GTS
Jason, How is the set up working for you? I still haven't pulled the trigger yet. Waiting till my year end (march) to move forward.
so, after waiting weeks for a number of other non-brake parts to arrive, I finally had my brake upgrade installed per Jason's specs above. The result is absolutely amazing. Granted, I also upgraded to R compound tires (R888R's), but I swear the car feels like it has two times the braking force as it did with the stock brakes and tires. The pedal feel and initial bite are also greatly improved. As Jason mentioned, however, the for rodeo and Padgett brake pads squeal like crazy around town and for most people would not be tolerable. I too will now only use them for track days and use an OEM set around town. My installer had absolutely no issues and thanks to jason and Clark at Apex for that as they speced out a perfect build. I have absolutely no regrets and I'm thrilled with the set up.

Old 04-18-2017, 08:37 AM
Jbgill6535
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Nice! Mine are still holding up well and I agree with all of your observations on their performance. Haven't made it to the track yet as we just closed on a new house last Friday and have been trying to get life back in order. Here are some non related garage pics. It was the first room put back together!
Attached Images    
Old 04-19-2017, 01:03 PM
TrackDays247.com
Former Vendor

Sold several CL sets and yes people really like them...lol although torquing a CL wheel remains one of the least fun aspects.... :-)
Old 05-10-2017, 02:57 PM
TrackDays247.com
Former Vendor

GREAT info on this thread........read it over -

**Contact us for PACKAGE PRICING as well -- ! **
Old 05-10-2017, 07:16 PM
cajerseyboy
Banned

Originally Posted by Craig - RennStore.com
GREAT info on this thread........read it over -

**Contact us for PACKAGE PRICING as well -- ! **
PM sent
Old 06-07-2017, 06:24 PM
cajerseyboy
Banned

Just purchased the Girodisc rotors from Clark and caliper studs from Tarett. I will put my Pagid Yellow pads on for track days. Still looking for some good street pads that are the right size for the larger rotors.

Clark was an unbelievable resource and the price was right. I will be installing these myself when they arrive and look forward to sharing my thoughts.

Thanks to Jason for paving the way!
Old 06-07-2017, 07:49 PM
Jbgill6535
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by NA430GTS
Just purchased the Girodisc rotors from Clark and caliper studs from Tarett. I will put my Pagid Yellow pads on for track days. Still looking for some good street pads that are the right size for the larger rotors.

Clark was an unbelievable resource and the price was right. I will be installing these myself when they arrive and look forward to sharing my thoughts.

Thanks to Jason for paving the way!
Awesome to hear. Glad I could be of some help around hear with all of these knowledgeable folks. Look forward to hearing your thoughts on the install.
Old 06-08-2017, 11:12 AM
jplohg
Instructor

NA430GTS, just fyi, you also need the stud sleeves made by Tarrett for the rear caliper studs only. I think they are $12.95 each. Not necessary for the front.

BTW, I use stock GT3 front pads and stock 991 pads when not tracking and obivously they work fine, but are expensive. The only reason I do this is on the front I don't want any smaller swept area on my front rotors than what my GT3 sized Ferrodo race pads provide as I have some fear (probably unfoundaded) that doing so would create two different sets of grooves on the front rotors. If that is unfounded or Jbgill6535 tells us that its not a problem when he gets to the track, I too will go to the Centric pads Jbgill6535 bought on RockAuto for significantly less than OEM (although street driving my new OEM pads will probably last a long time).

For what it is worth, since I swap back and forth between race pads and street pads, I simply cut the brake wear sensor wires and tied the two wires together and zip tied them to the brake lines in order to forgoe buying and replacing the brake wear sensors with each swap. Works perfectly.

Also, I ran this Giro/Ferrodo/Pagid set up very hard over 3 days at Circuit of the Americas in Austin a few weeks ago and the pads are still over 50% and the rotors look great (although getting some hairline cracks in the front rotors). COTA is ntoriously rough on brakes and I'm happy to report that these held up amazingly. Also, ZERO fade over 25 minute runs. Worth every single penny IMO.

For fun, here's a one of my run sessions at COTA:

Old 06-08-2017, 06:40 PM
cajerseyboy
Banned

Originally Posted by jplohg
NA430GTS, just fyi, you also need the stud sleeves made by Tarrett for the rear caliper studs only. I think they are $12.95 each. Not necessary for the front.

BTW, I use stock GT3 front pads and stock 991 pads when not tracking and obivously they work fine, but are expensive. The only reason I do this is on the front I don't want any smaller swept area on my front rotors than what my GT3 sized Ferrodo race pads provide as I have some fear (probably unfoundaded) that doing so would create two different sets of grooves on the front rotors. If that is unfounded or Jbgill6535 tells us that its not a problem when he gets to the track, I too will go to the Centric pads Jbgill6535 bought on RockAuto for significantly less than OEM (although street driving my new OEM pads will probably last a long time).

For what it is worth, since I swap back and forth between race pads and street pads, I simply cut the brake wear sensor wires and tied the two wires together and zip tied them to the brake lines in order to forgoe buying and replacing the brake wear sensors with each swap. Works perfectly.

Also, I ran this Giro/Ferrodo/Pagid set up very hard over 3 days at Circuit of the Americas in Austin a few weeks ago and the pads are still over 50% and the rotors look great (although getting some hairline cracks in the front rotors). COTA is ntoriously rough on brakes and I'm happy to report that these held up amazingly. Also, ZERO fade over 25 minute runs. Worth every single penny IMO.

On the same page. I purchased the sleeves from Tarett and have similar concerns about creating grooves on my larger rotors from the smaller pads.

In a perfect world I would want a GT3 sized pad at a cheap price for street and use my pagids for track.

can anyone recommend one besides stock?

BTW sweet video - I've wanted to have the same capabilities. Do you have a parts list
Old 06-08-2017, 06:49 PM
jplohg
Instructor

Cool. What parts list are you looking for? My car set up? Video? Something else? Happy to share.
Old 06-08-2017, 07:52 PM
cajerseyboy
Banned

Cool. What parts list are you looking for? My car set up? Video? Something else? Happy to share.
My bad. Looking for how you got the video with track outline, speed etc. also mounting location? I've looked into building a similar setup but there seems to be a lot of different components.

Old 06-08-2017, 08:00 PM
Need4S
Burning Brakes

Received 76 Likes on 58 Posts

Cool lap video! Random question. What is that circular countdown thing that appears at the top right of the screen at Turn 12 after that white car finally pointed you by down that long, back straight?

https://youtu.be/8qrWqEkU6sQ
Old 06-09-2017, 02:29 AM
jplohg
Instructor

The video and lap timer set up I have is very simple. Use iPhone for camera and install Harry's Lap Timer app with RAM mount and GoPoint BTA1 oBD dongle. The app is about $30, the mount is about $50 and the OBD dongle is about $150. The OBD dongle plugs into your oOBD port and sends car info (speed, gear, throttle, g's) to the iPhone and app via Bluetooth. The count down serves a couple functions - on the first lap, it triggers the start of the lap and the following laps information and during each lap it uses pre measured sector points on the track to give you sector times.

Quick Reply: Girodisc upgrade on 991 GTS with Centerlocks