Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2WD vs 4WD

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2017, 07:46 PM
Steve Cole
Racer

Received 60 Likes on 50 Posts

I like AWD cars that act like RWD cars most of the time. Like the Porsche.
Old 05-02-2017, 07:44 PM
jsaviano
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

There's a great video on the net showing some differences with the PSM on and off, and 2wd vs 4wd 911s. Worth watching. I'm quite happy with the 2wd car in the rain.
Old 05-19-2017, 02:12 PM
Contadino
Instructor

Based on several test drives, the 4S steering seemed heavier to me than on the S. I don't plan on driving it in the winter so went with the S due to that factor along with less weight and complexity.
Old 05-19-2017, 05:05 PM
kitwetzler
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 19 Posts

I've owned a 991.1 C2S coupe, a 991.1 C4S cab and a 991.2 C4S. the AWD cars can be made to understeer at the limit, and if you want to drift them, you really need to grab them by the scruff of the neck and try, otherwise, they just go in the direction you point them. And, you have to be going way too fast for driving on the street to do it.

If you are moving from an X73 981S (which I also owned, 14 Boxster S with x73 and a 16 Boxster Spyder) then you're giving up some sportiness for creature comforts and acceleration. Wasn't sure from the thread (and apologies, I didn't read all of it) whether you were looking new or used. (or .1 or .2)

There is a small amount of purity in the steering lost in the C4s, from the driveshafts coming into the wheel. It isn't much and especially with the 4WS in the .2, there isn't much difference. The AWD cars are slightly heavier and you can feel that, a little bit. The difference is much more subtle than obvious.

Personally, I love the widebody and the lightbar on the C4S, and it doesn't dilute the driving experience much, so I got a C4S this time and am thrilled with it thus far. If you drive in inclemental weather much, the AWD is a nice option to have. The rear engine weight distribution is actually really nice for snow, unless you get it really out of shape. but, snow tires + 2WD will beat out all seasons + AWD, so unless you are actually driving in the snow and willing to do snow tires, I wouldn't say that rain performance is a huge benefit to AWD. It feels more secure, but in actuality, PSM will do a pretty good job of catching you even in a 2wd car.
Old 07-21-2018, 11:57 PM
oronymo
Racer

Received 62 Likes on 30 Posts

I’m in the same boat. Looking at 997.1 or maybe 997.2 C2S or C4S (probably targa if I can find it).

I’m coming from FWD and want a new experience (a little tail happy shenanigans could be fun) but I’m also not experienced with RWD and I’ll be daily driving it in Seattle on wet hilly roads. If it snows (rare) I would likely stay home or take the bus.

I do keep mounted winter and summer tires for my current car and would likely do the same for the 911.

I drove a cayman in the wet and with the PSM set to sport it let me experiment with slippage without getting out of line - but not sure if the rear weight of the 911 makes that transition harder to control?
Old 07-23-2018, 09:53 PM
HD2pct
Pro

Originally Posted by Contadino
Based on several test drives, the 4S steering seemed heavier to me than on the S. I don't plan on driving it in the winter so went with the S due to that factor along with less weight and complexity.
Agree. I am a fan of AWD cars and know what they can do. But I felt that the 4, while ultimately more capable in theory, was less fun than the 2 in terms of feel. The feeling of "stickiness" cuts a couple of ways.It's all about your real mission. In my case, in NE Illinois I am (unfortunately) not racing through the canyons of SoCal. And I'm not driving it in the salt over the winter, so that's no factor either..

If you CAN take advantage of the 4, I'm sure it's worth it. Otherwise I definitely agree that you need to drive both for the feel.

On a slightly side note, I think many people here have discussed tire selection. Most people just don't know how HUGE that is. For winter, I could put the right tires on a 2wd drive car and blow away the 4wd version easily. Decades of auto mag tests, mostly in C/D, have proven this, as has my experience.
Old 07-24-2018, 01:25 AM
Joenyc
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Disagree- I found the 4S especially with rear steering a blast. I pushed in autocross and in turns. Agree tires are important but what grip and handling . Nothing boring about it.
Old 07-24-2018, 02:36 AM
Chris C.
Rennlist Member

Received 537 Likes on 282 Posts

I learned to drive in the rain on track days. It will blow you away what you can do with RWD (good tire tread/temps) in a 911 even in the rain.

Personally I don't like the additional weight in the front of the car ... takes away some of the classic 911 handling characteristics which are muted a bit as it is with the wider front track of the 991.

Drive em and choose. Doubtful you'll need the AWD but you may prefer it.

Quick Reply: 2WD vs 4WD