2WD vs 4WD

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2017, 09:05 AM
PJ Cayenne
Rennlist Member

Received 299 Likes on 180 Posts

Originally Posted by skiahh
WTH is a 991.2 C2 T4 or C2 T4??
Just being snarky...C2 is my 911. The T4 is the VW Tiguan (Consumer Reports hates it) I just picked up for the crap days and recycling center duty. I get the attraction of an AWD 911, would love to have one. Except I kind of get a little queasy thinking about driving the 911 on really bad weather days. We live in a hilly area, and AWD is a must on snowy days, so I keep an eye on the weather in the winter and use the little SUV or the Cayenne when snow is coming. Turns out the two together cost about the same as a C4. As much as I love the 911, it's a stretch to have as your only car.
Old 04-28-2017, 11:33 AM
Valvefloat991
Burning Brakes

Received 117 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by gg1
None of what you are saying matters. The bottom line is the AWD car is going to crush the RWD car in rain or snow. If you took any classes at all in physics or engineering it would be crystal clear. I have driven over 100 cars in all kinds of conditions and there is no comparing a great AWD car to a RWD car of any type, so long as they are higher end. You can point a shoot in an AWD car in rain. You can't do that with a RWD car. Everyone wants to pretend their car is the best because they spent over $100K on it, but the bottom line is AWD is superior in adverse conditions. You cannot argue against it really. Now is RWD enough? Sure, but just don't drive the same as you would in an AWD car in heavy rain.
Since you imagine that you know all of the answers and believe that only what you say matters, I'll leave you to it.

But the original question in this thread was "Is the 911 C2 safe to drive in the rain?" And the obvious answer is YES.
Old 04-28-2017, 04:28 PM
skiahh
Rennlist Member

Received 129 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by bkrantz
gg1, this is true only as far as fastest lap time. AWD helps mostly/only with acceleration (as classes in physics and engineering should demonstrate). During steady-state cornering, transitional handling, and especially braking AWD does little to nothing. That is where basic chassis design, weight balance, and even tires determine car performance. Going back to the OP's question about safety, AWD might help some drivers under some conditions, but it is not substantially "safer".
AWD is going to be safer in conditions with less traction. No, it won't help you stop better, but it will help with grip in many other situations where having only two drive wheels might fall short. Is that substantial? Probably not.

But it will also help with track speed and control, and twisty road control, since you accelerate out of corners and, as you correctly note, "AWD helps mostly/only with acceleration".
Old 04-28-2017, 09:47 PM
Valvefloat991
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by skiahh
AWD is going to be safer in conditions with less traction. No, it won't help you stop better, but it will help with grip in many other situations where having only two drive wheels might fall short. Is that substantial? Probably not.

But it will also help with track speed and control, and twisty road control, since you accelerate out of corners and, as you correctly note, "AWD helps mostly/only with acceleration".
I generally agree with you in that AWD doesn't help you stop more quickly, or corner harder in either dry or slippery conditions. Though if you are clumsy with the throttle when the road is slick, you can be clumsier with AWD before you kick the tail out. Of course, if you're driving that hard in everyday conditions, you're probably not too bright.

And, of course, we should remember that the 911 is equipped with an excellent stability control system (PSM), which would step in to arrest clumsy-throttle-induced oversteer with both RWD and AWD.

And under dry conditions at the track, I doubt that it provides any more beneficial effect than placing a couple of 50-pound sacks of manure in your luggage compartment. After all, I'm not aware that Porsche posts faster Nurburgring times with AWD Carreras.

Certainly, If you drive your 911 in the winter and face many steep grades, AWD will make your life easier. Same goes for track days int he pouring rain. And if you simply like the extra traction that it provides, be my guest.

But the notion that it is necessary in everyday driving for most 911 drivers--even in rain and snow--is ludicrous.
Old 04-29-2017, 04:48 PM
kayjh
Drifting

Received 684 Likes on 478 Posts

I wonder why Porsche doesn't make a RWD Turbo/Turbo S?
Old 04-29-2017, 05:02 PM
Valvefloat991
Burning Brakes

It has and will probably do so again. It's called the GT2 and is at the top of the 911 Turbo lineup.
Old 04-30-2017, 03:02 PM
ace37
Rennlist Member

Received 133 Likes on 84 Posts

I drive a 4wd 911. My last 911 was RWD. I prefer the feel and lighter weight of RWD (playfulness?) and the traction advantages of AWD. The traction performance improvement is much more pronounced in adverse weather and I like to drive my 911 on the nice days of winter. The newer car is safer (991 vs 997) but in terms of adverse weather safety, the condition and compound of the tires plays a *much* larger role than anything else.

To to say AWD or RWD is unequivocally better is brash. That implies a lot of value judgments that are personal rather than universal.
Old 04-30-2017, 11:35 PM
bkrantz
Rennlist Member

Received 954 Likes on 568 Posts

Originally Posted by kayjh
Again, its all about acceleration. If nothing else putting 500 hp through 4 wheels leads to faster 0 to 60 times.

And more sales?
Old 05-01-2017, 01:22 PM
CSK 911 C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 805 Likes on 401 Posts

Originally Posted by kayjh
They want to keep their customer base alive and well and not make the "Fail" video montage from owners leaving a C&C.
Old 05-01-2017, 01:31 PM
R_Rated
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

If AWD was so magically better in every condition then the Porsche RSR and other race cars would use AWD. It does obviously have some advantages in inclement weather for accelerating... The rear diffs are so good in cars nowadays though that there is not the traction gap there used to be.
Old 05-01-2017, 02:49 PM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Received 664 Likes on 357 Posts

Originally Posted by CSK 911 C4S
They want to keep their customer base alive and well and not make the "Fail" video montage from owners leaving a C&C.
I guess that would be a good explanation why the 450+HP Mustangs and BMWs seem to dominate in those videos. If you are going to have crazy power in a light street car it seems fairly responsible to do everything you reasonably can to make it stick... for the super high-torque Turbos at least. Even the GT-R got that right from the start.

If AWD was so magically better in every condition then the Porsche RSR and other race cars would use AWD. It does obviously have some advantages in inclement weather for accelerating... The rear diffs are so good in cars nowadays though that there is not the traction gap there used to be.
Professional race car drivers on tracks are clearly playing a different game at a different skill level so I don't really see a meaningful comparison there. For my mere 400HP C4S, sure, that is a different story here in Texas. That was just my aesthetic choice.
Old 05-01-2017, 02:59 PM
Rambler_13
Burning Brakes

Received 91 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by R_Rated
The 919 and R18 use awd to name a couple. Also, some orgs don't permit it, like F1.
Old 05-01-2017, 03:12 PM
R_Rated
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Rambler_13
The 919 and R18 use awd to name a couple. Also, some orgs don't permit it, like F1.
Most of the hyper cars do.

If I was into the 991.2 game then I'd be more inclined to consider it due to the torque.

Another car that experienced huge performance gains makes an even better case study. the Jaguar F Type. Had the same engine in my XKR. Wonderful engine and way ahead of it's time. a TON of torque - enough to put the 991.2 to shame in terms if instant torque. The 991.2 isn't at that power level (or torque level) but the jag's power was far more useful in putting it to the ground with AWD vs RWD.

Another iteration that is another technology leap is the torque vectoring capabilities that brands like Lexus are beginning to release. For big power, it's more of a necessity. For the high revving NA/3.4 & 3.8 lovers its not as big of a deal.

Different strokes and we're lucky to be living in such a time although I'm more inclined to gravitate to lighter, less horsepower and more primitive cars...
Old 05-01-2017, 03:26 PM
freeman727
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Most of the hyper cars do.

If I was into the 991.2 game then I'd be more inclined to consider it due to the torque.

Another car that experienced huge performance gains makes an even better case study. the Jaguar F Type. Had the same engine in my XKR. Wonderful engine and way ahead of it's time. a TON of torque - enough to put the 991.2 to shame in terms if instant torque. The 991.2 isn't at that power level (or torque level) but the jag's power was far more useful in putting it to the ground with AWD vs RWD.

Another iteration that is another technology leap is the torque vectoring capabilities that brands like Lexus are beginning to release. For big power, it's more of a necessity. For the high revving NA/3.4 & 3.8 lovers its not as big of a deal.

Different strokes and we're lucky to be living in such a time although I'm more inclined to gravitate to lighter, less horsepower and more primitive cars...
you have a fair point. He revving cars need a little time to put power to the ground. Turbo charged cars have more instantaneous torque and therefore traction at all four wheels I more useful.
Old 05-01-2017, 07:44 PM
Kallagtunet
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If AWD was so magically better in every condition then the Porsche RSR and other race cars would use AWD.
It is my understanding that the RSR runs in the LM-GTE racing category where 4WD is not allowed... (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LM_GTE).

If it had been alowed my prediction is all the cars in the series would have 4WD....

Quick Reply: 2WD vs 4WD