Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Burmester vs Bose - sound quality question

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2017, 04:19 PM
spiderv6
Drifting

Received 265 Likes on 137 Posts

Yeah, Bose is crap. The marketing is great and many people believe otherwise.

I wouldn't waste money on Burmester to feed it compressed files.

Just like I wouldn't be spending money on the tweeter upgrades that many people are doing - spend money on the source first or you are wasting your time.

As long as you have PSE then you have all the audio you need.
Old 01-25-2017, 04:21 PM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Received 664 Likes on 357 Posts

I'm sure your dealer would at least let you sit in two cars, one with each audio system and compare. I'd go there and ask them to allow me to do a back-to-back comparison with my own ears, even if it was just sitting still. They are making a boatload of money from you, they should be happy to oblige.
Old 01-25-2017, 04:30 PM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Received 6,205 Likes on 2,716 Posts

Originally Posted by StormRune
I'm sure your dealer would at least let you sit in two cars, one with each audio system and compare. I'd go there and ask them to allow me to do a back-to-back comparison with my own ears, even if it was just sitting still. They are making a boatload of money from you, they should be happy to oblige.
Already asked. Unfortunately they don't have a Burmester on the lot to compare.

Originally Posted by spiderv6
Yeah, Bose is crap. The marketing is great and many people believe otherwise.

I wouldn't waste money on Burmester to feed it compressed files.

Just like I wouldn't be spending money on the tweeter upgrades that many people are doing - spend money on the source first or you are wasting your time.

As long as you have PSE then you have all the audio you need.
Re: bad source material - that's the primary issue I am back and forth on. Some systems handle bad sources better -- thinking not necessarily super accurate but more "musical" (I hate that term, but I don't know another way to say it). As far as cabin dB, I'm not sure, but I think the Turbo is generally quieter than the Carrera with PSE.
Old 01-25-2017, 04:32 PM
911boy
Three Wheelin'

Received 136 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by kayjh
While I'm waiting for my first Porsche to arrive so i can't comment directly, I thought I've read in several posts here that the interior noise of these cars is such that no matter how much money you put into a sound system, it gets drowned out by tire and other road noises.
Agreed. I was quite surprised by how loud it is. In the city I'm listening to PSE and on the highway I listen to the radio but can't hear any detail due to noise. Not a complaint, just an observation. Love it.
Old 01-25-2017, 04:34 PM
Gary JR
Rennlist Member

Received 158 Likes on 113 Posts

When you spend 10x Burmester on a home theater you are not going to settle for Bose in a 911. At least I did not.
Old 01-25-2017, 05:29 PM
Hurricane
Race Car

Received 653 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by kayjh
While I'm waiting for my first Porsche to arrive so i can't comment directly, I thought I've read in several posts here that the interior noise of these cars is such that no matter how much money you put into a sound system, it gets drowned out by tire and other road noises.
It's a very noisy car.

I have had two 991S's, one with Bose and my current one with Burmester. While I am not an audiophile by any stretch, I would go with Bose if I was ordering a car...for a CPO one where someone has already taken the depreciation hit, the Burmester would be nice. The Burmester sounds better than the Bose but I couldn't see spending that much on an audio system in such a noisy car.
Old 01-25-2017, 06:11 PM
TerryC4S
Instructor

Received 71 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by rk-d
Another one of these questions -- searched the archives and didn't see the answer I was looking for...

I'm a big believer in source being the most important component of the audio chain. With CDs, I know Burmester is clearly better. My question is, on suboptimal sources like Pandora, Satellite, Spotify/Apple music -- is there still a meaningful difference? Does Burmester still stand head and shoulders above Bose?

Sometimes very high resolution systems sound worse than cheaper systems if using lower quality material.

Thoughts and experience appreciated
I have the Burmester in my Macan Turbo and it is the best auto sound system I have heard from a manufacturer. I use an iPad with ALAC encoding and an Audioquest Dragonfly Red DAC with an Audioquest Jitterbug USB filter in between. I also stream TIDAL through it. It sounds great. The Macan is a very quiet ride. I have Bose in my 991 but it's a cab so I don't care. Also, if you are using Bluetooth to get from the source to the system, I wouldn't spend a lot of money on the it.
Old 01-25-2017, 06:19 PM
TerryC4S
Instructor

Received 71 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by TerryC4S
I have the Burmester in my Macan Turbo and it is the best auto sound system I have heard from a manufacturer. I use an iPad with ALAC encoding and an Audioquest Dragonfly Red DAC with an Audioquest Jitterbug USB filter in between. I also stream TIDAL through it. It sounds great. The Macan is a very quiet ride. I have Bose in my 991 but it's a cab so I don't care. Also, if you are using Bluetooth to get from the source to the system, I wouldn't spend a lot of money on the it.
Here's my setup. It's an iPad Mini 4.

Old 01-25-2017, 06:23 PM
77tony
Rennlist Member

Received 152 Likes on 116 Posts

If ordering new I'd go with the no-cost base and have Nick..or someone of his caliber install a custom system. https://rennlist.com/forums/991/9665...r-upgrade.html Had Bose in the 50th and it was annoying. Added the Burmester tweeters and was much more tolerable. Nicks tweeters were not available at that time and would also consider that route. Added the Burmester sub-woofer and that was a total waste of $$ IMHO. The Bose tweeters are by far the weak link that can be easily remedied. More here:https://rennlist.com/forums/991/8519...your-bose.html T
Old 01-25-2017, 06:50 PM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

TerryC4S - nice setup!

The Turbo comes standard with Bose, so Burmester is an additional $3700. Not terrible, but money that I'd be happy to save. I'm back to undecided. I would largely be Bluetooth and streaming (and using crappy Satellite), so I wouldn't have benefit of lossless and hard wire connection.
Old 01-25-2017, 07:33 PM
gyh
Rennlist Member

Received 63 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Hurricane
It's a very noisy car.

I have had two 991S's, one with Bose and my current one with Burmester. While I am not an audiophile by any stretch, I would go with Bose if I was ordering a car...for a CPO one where someone has already taken the depreciation hit, the Burmester would be nice. The Burmester sounds better than the Bose but I couldn't see spending that much on an audio system in such a noisy car.
+1. Burmester is great while stopped but you can't really hear what you're paying for when the car is moving. I would spec Bose and spend the delta on PSE
Old 01-25-2017, 07:39 PM
Gary JR
Rennlist Member

Received 158 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by gyh
+1. Burmester is great while stopped but you can't really hear what you're paying for when the car is moving. I would spec Bose and spend the delta on PSE
I suspect many of us do not see Burmester and PSE as mutually exclusive.
Old 01-25-2017, 07:55 PM
joedjr
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If price is no object then question answered if not put the money to better use in some other performance options.
Old 01-25-2017, 08:04 PM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by joedjr
If price is no object then question answered if not put the money to better use in some other performance options.
Money is an object. Interesting point on performance>Burmester. I guess the question is really, Burmester or PDCC. Or neither. Sports chrono/RWS is standard and no PSE on the Turbos - PDCC is the only performance option that I would potentially be interested in. Of course that's a completely different question.
Old 01-25-2017, 08:08 PM
skynet
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The most important issue for me is the engineering quality of the recording itself. Well engineered recordings will sound great with Bose or Burmester. Poorly engineered recordings might actually sound worse on the Burmester than the Bose.

Quick Reply: Burmester vs Bose - sound quality question