Sponsored by:

LED lights PDLS+

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2017, 12:35 AM
Brantley847
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mtgadbois
In my case I want the best that my equipment can deliver. As such I want my headlights to operate at the highest level that they "were designed" to be. Damn the US specs. My day-to-day car is a 95.5 Audi S6 with euro suspension, euro HID lights and another 140HP and it feels just about right. I am fair skinned and for sun tan lotion for the past 15 years I bought from Canada for stuff not yet approved for sale in the USA. I'm tired of being denied the best of the best available. Our country has to get the gov't off our backs!! Just the rants of a former CFO, CEO who is tired of big brother looking out for my "interests."

Old 03-01-2017, 12:49 AM
quattroboy
Rennlist Member

Received 60 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by mtgadbois
In my case I want the best that my equipment can deliver. As such I want my headlights to operate at the highest level that they "were designed" to be. Damn the US specs. My day-to-day car is a 95.5 Audi S6 with euro suspension, euro HID lights and another 140HP and it feels just about right. I am fair skinned and for sun tan lotion for the past 15 years I bought from Canada for stuff not yet approved for sale in the USA. I'm tired of being denied the best of the best available. Our country has to get the gov't off our backs!! Just the rants of a former CFO, CEO who is tired of big brother looking out for my "interests."
Hi Mark: You may recognize me from the Audi forums, quattro20v, with my 1997 Audi S6 similarly modified as you describe with RS2 goodies and HID. Getting old and close to 400K km, but still fun to drive.

Is that a 50th Anniversary I spy in your profile picture?

Cheers, Sean.
Old 03-01-2017, 08:45 AM
Gary JR
Rennlist Member

Received 158 Likes on 113 Posts

Thought this was about options not mods but whatever.
Old 09-05-2017, 12:32 AM
quattroboy
Rennlist Member

Received 60 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by StormRune
I had once found an article talking about this better, but the key difference between the US version and the RoW versions are found in the phrasing they use for the different country feature descriptions, with the key word being "seamless".

For the RoW, PDLS+ reads just like Fitcherama described:
A camera detects the lights of vehicles ahead as well as those of oncoming traffic. Based on the data from the camera, the dynamic main beam function then adapts the headlight range accordingly. This continuous, seamless control means that you are able to see the course of the road, pedestrians and potential hazards earlier without hindering other road users.
While in the US it reads differently with a clear "step" described. Mine clearly operate in this fashion.
When a camera located inside the rear-view mirror detects the headlights of an oncoming vehicle, the high beams are automatically turned off at a distance of approximately 2,600 feet. If the taillights of a vehicle traveling in front are detected, the high beam is then turned off at a distance of approximately 1,300 feet.
I tried out mine last night and they operate as per the US spec, being in Canada I was hopeful they would operate as RoW.

Did anyone ever figure out how to code the lights to RoW or European specification?
Old 11-03-2018, 12:06 PM
ksamimi
Track Day

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

I would like to follow-up and see if anyone has had experience in having their car's LED lights programmed to RoW specs? I was driving an Audi A8 with LED matrix headlights in Germany and it was quite impressive to see how well these automatic headlights worked. I had turned on the high beams and they would stay on even in city traffic, the beam was simply adjusted not to blind surrounding traffic.
When I originally picked up my car in 2016, I asked my dealership if the lights could be programmed to RoW spec, but they were not aware of any software modification. I was told by Porsche during the European delivery that the only difference is software programming between US and RoW cars, hardware should be the same.
Old 11-04-2018, 12:45 AM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Received 3,432 Likes on 2,347 Posts

Originally Posted by coolhandshin

They are so bright and uniform and make the lines on the road stand out.

But forget all that, they just look so cool.
The ONLY reason I got them is because of the way they look, with the Black ring (and no, I was not interested in the Black decal instead).

Last edited by Bob Z.; 11-05-2018 at 07:31 PM.
Old 11-04-2018, 05:20 PM
Papa Fittig
Burning Brakes

Received 88 Likes on 65 Posts

Love mine. My GTS had a Xenon lights and I was perfectly fine with them, however I now like LEDs with PLDP way more.
Old 11-04-2018, 05:46 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,434 Likes on 896 Posts

I would pay good money to get RoW functionality from my PDLS+ headlights! Hopefully someone will crack the code.
Old 11-05-2018, 03:40 PM
TimboCarrera
Racer

Received 53 Likes on 41 Posts

It's odd that the subject of coding our led pdls always ends in a fail. I can now add 100hp with a chip but can't pay any amount of money for this euro spec only option. Nick Murray's video documented higher lumens with hid than led. This may be entirely due to US spec limiting output for led headlights. Maybe the lumens increase on the US spec leds at speed. Great idea for Nick's next video. He could measure the light output while hanging on the hood at 100 mph. More questions arise than answers on this one.

Quick Reply: LED lights PDLS+