Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

991.2 To Replace my Macan Turbo ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2017, 10:29 AM
Palyndrome
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 991.2 To Replace my Macan Turbo ?

Hello Everyone !

I'm new as a writer over here, but i'm reading this board for a long time now.
2 Years ago i've buy a brand new Macan Turbo.
The idea behind it was to use the car for every purpose :
- Grocery
- Dog (25 kg)
- Everyday driving
- Fun drive
- Going to Ski in the Winter (2 or 3 times a Year in the French Alps)
- Going in Holiday

This car is a perfect match ... Except for the Fun part ...
This thing is damn boring to drive !
It's super easy and super quick ... Without any true fun !
And it's really really thirsty (an average of 19l/100km ...)

My girlfriend and i dont plan to have child until 2 years ...
So ... The idea to change has grown on me ... And ... The 991.2 ... Seems a pretty good Daily Driver !

Could you tell me wich box the 991.2 Will not be able to fill ?!
Do you think that a 991.2 with a Manual is a good idea as a Daily ?
My plan is to go for a 991.2 C4 With a few options or a 991.2 GTS 4 nearly as a stripper.

Enjoy
Old 01-17-2017, 11:25 AM
The Fat Kid
Pro

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

- Grocery - Yes
- Dog (25 kg) - Could be tight in the back if the dog moves around a lot
- Everyday driving - Yes
- Fun drive - Yes
- Going to Ski in the Winter (2 or 3 times a Year in the French Alps) - Yes, with ski rack/box
- Going in Holiday - Yes
- Manual for DD - Yes, if you like to row
Old 01-17-2017, 12:05 PM
Bossing
Rennlist Member

Received 89 Likes on 45 Posts

I recently traded in my 2016 Macan Turbo (loaded) for a 991.2 Carrera with the 7-spd manual with just the right amount of options for my needs. Granted I have a full-size truck for practicality purposes so the Macan was really redundant in terms of cargo hauling needs. for me The MacTurbo is very quick and I absolutely loved it (still do) during my 18mos of ownership but the all new turbo 911s are absolutely much more fun to drive especially when the roads have curves & bends. The 911s are also well equipped and the biggest improvement or advancement so to speak is the new Infotainment system. It's fast, easy to use and a much better interface compared to the previous gen.

Btw the .2 manual is very light and easy to daily... easier to drive than the GT4. It's a great all-around sports car but obviously cargo capacity is limited when compared to any SUV.
Old 01-17-2017, 07:32 PM
sctanton52
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I would say all is OK, but the dog should be a calm traveller, and a new baby is OK 2 years down the road, but not along with a dog IMHO. By then the back seat belongs to your four legged furry friend.
Old 01-17-2017, 10:26 PM
Dewinator
Drifting

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

Scratch skiing off your list and the 991.2 will make a fine match for your needs.

- Going 2-3 times you probably won't buy proper snow tires, and trying to drive in the snow on summer tires even with AWD just makes you a menace to others, and all the rocks on the road will chip the crap out of your nice new car anyway.

- If you ski that rarely, you're just going to be a nuisance to those that go enough to know what they're doing, so you're better off just picking a hobby you can fully invest in.
Old 01-17-2017, 10:29 PM
THPorsche
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

Just rent a capable car for your every once in awhile ski trip and go for the 911.
Old 01-17-2017, 10:42 PM
bkrantz
Rennlist Member

Received 954 Likes on 568 Posts

After using the very first C4 (1989 964) as a year-round daily driver in Alaska, I am sure the current C4 (with snow tires) can handle winter in the Alps. And after the 964 I used a Boxster S as a daily driver, so again, a 991 can do that, too.

But I am puzzled by owners who jump between SUV's (stereotypically Range Rovers, and even Macans) and true sports/GT cars like the 911--and then jump back. I can understand having both, but for me a sports car is a different beast, and either you must have one (or several) or not.

Trending Topics

Old 01-18-2017, 04:18 AM
Palyndrome
Cruisin'

Wow, Thanks for all your answers !

Concerning the Ski and Winter driving, i always put winter tires on my cars from October to April. And i'm not the kind of person who want to be the menace for the others
It will not be different with a 911.
So with good Winter tires and a ski box, i'll be fine to go to ski !

About Winter tire, is it possible to find 19" Wheels with CL for the GTS ?

During these 2 years with the Macan I discovered that i'm not a SUV Guy ... Really Not. It's too heavy, too big and i don't really like the driving position involved by a SUV. Sadly half a day of test has not permitted to discover that before i signed for the macan.

My heart is to the 991.2 ... For sure ... But i'm still afraid that i'll find it not enough usable as my only car ... (My wife has a Citroen C3 at this time ... She will change it in a year for a A3 Sportback) ...
But i really want to enjoy the fact that we don't have child at this time and to enjoy a great sport car !
Old 01-18-2017, 10:52 AM
dloines
Advanced

not sure if this is an option but get the 991 and a less expensive SUV Jeep etc., I went thru the same thing, bought a sports car got rid of it got a SUV and got rid of it, got a sports car...etc. Neither is better than the other for doing what it was designed to do, you can drive a Macan like a sports cars and use the 991 for utility, if you don't mind the extra wear and tear.
Old 01-18-2017, 11:52 AM
nal13
Instructor

Received 148 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by dloines
not sure if this is an option but get the 991 and a less expensive SUV Jeep etc., I went thru the same thing, bought a sports car got rid of it got a SUV and got rid of it, got a sports car...etc. Neither is better than the other for doing what it was designed to do, you can drive a Macan like a sports cars and use the 991 for utility, if you don't mind the extra wear and tear.

This is exactly what I did. I bought a new basic jeep right after purchasing my current 991. I still use the 911 the vast majority of the time but the jeep is awesome to have. Its basically our throw around car that we can put in any parking lot and fill up the back with as much junk as needed. Its really nice to have a car that you don't really care about. If this an option I would strongly recommend it.
Old 01-18-2017, 08:50 PM
tgcrun
Three Wheelin'

Received 438 Likes on 234 Posts

As you can see from my signature, I have a Macan Turbo, a 991.2 C4S and a 997.2 C4S. We have winter tires on my wife's 997, and she uses it for work and running errands all year long. When we need to go on a longer trip in the winter but don't need room for passengers, we take her car. I prefer it over the Macan. I drive my 991 all year round unless there is snow/ice or I need room for clients (I'm a real estate agent), my dog (I have a greyhound), or real estate signs. I prefer it over the Macan, as well. The Macan is a great car and is more fun to drive than any other SUV, but it's not a 911. As long as you have one car in the family that can comfortably accommodate more than two people and/or a dog, swapping the Macan for a 911 makes total sense.
Old 01-18-2017, 10:04 PM
gregv8
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Palyndrome, have you considered an M4 or M3?
I know it's no Porsche, but might be a better fit for your needs/

Quick Reply: 991.2 To Replace my Macan Turbo ?