Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Built Porsche Tough - Tijuana Mexico Adventures

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2017, 06:10 PM
BoulderGeek
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I only discovered the Porsche life when I was 48. Prior to that, I was getting my kicks on the finest of bicycles, motorcycles, a little civil aviation and big mountain skiing and snowboarding.

Living in Colorado, dual-sport offroad camping and adventure motorcycling is an amazing thing to do to enjoy the mountains. Many people here on Rennlist also play around on two wheels, the multiple paths of vehicular expression go very well together. People would always say to me, "You're going to die. How can you motorcycle alone through Mexico? You're gonna get beheaded!"

Invariably, the nay-sayers were people who had never done these things. They listened to fearmongering crackpots and people with agendas to push. Whenever i was even pulled over to tie cargo down, or to look at a map, make a coffee, whatever, locals would stop and offer assistance. The few times I really needed it, I got genuine care and help, without ulterior motives.

Get back to the US, and car and truck drivers actively want to kill you. Broken down in a blizzard on a dead motorcycle, and zero people offered any assistance. For a motorcyclist, I think the US sucks compared to Mexico, with regard to hostility of other drivers and helpfulness of the population.

I've driven down to Mexico a bunch in my old Jeep Wrangler and Volvo wagon. I have considered taking the Cayman down, and perhaps some day I will. Ripping the Espina del Diablo between Mazatlan and Durango would be epic.

I totally applaud Franko in his approach, and in sharing it with us here. Suerte y disfrutalo.
Old 11-03-2017, 07:37 PM
Mr. Big
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 6 Posts

I spent a weekend in Rosarito for the Ensenada-Rosarito bike ride. Beautiful country down there. The thief who burglarized us in the middle of the night was polite enough not to wake us. Luckily we drove down there in a beater van so we were able to get back home.
Old 11-04-2017, 07:31 AM
txpackers
Racer

Received 301 Likes on 134 Posts

What an excellent thread. So great to see the OP enjoying life in a beautiful country. It's disappointing how the US media has so many people brainwashed about how dangerous it is in Mexico. I worked in Mexico for 10 years. Never any issues and never felt unsafe. The happiest most loyal people I've ever met. It all comes down to where you go. There are many cities in the US where I've felt very unsafe.

Baja, California is gorgeous. Hwy 1 is an amazing drive as some of the OPs pictures show. OP, if you haven't tried this yet, head down to the wine country region of Ensenada. Gorgeous views of the ocean, mountains, and wine.
Old 11-04-2017, 09:10 AM
wareaglescott
Burning Brakes

Received 99 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by Franko T
wareaglescott, funny coming from you where your area Alabama has some of the most dangerous cities in USA

Go looking you'll find it anywhere.
Apples to oranges my friend. lol
Old 03-12-2018, 05:29 PM
STG
Race Director

Received 200 Likes on 142 Posts

Anyone heard from Franko??
Old 03-12-2018, 05:35 PM
Franko T
Rennlist Member

Received 160 Likes on 80 Posts

How's it going. Everyone should check out Rosarito this summer!
Old 03-12-2018, 05:38 PM
STG
Race Director

How's it going. Everyone should check out Rosarito this summer!

Franko!! Where do you find yourself these days? Still have a little hottie south of the border?
Old 03-12-2018, 05:39 PM
STG
Race Director

The forum has been boring lately. Give us some stories on some new adventures
Old 03-12-2018, 07:50 PM
Bemo
Drifting

Received 262 Likes on 172 Posts

How's the southern wall coming along?
Old 03-12-2018, 10:23 PM
TTSPete
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Bemo
Not fast enough
Old 03-12-2018, 11:44 PM
chuck911
Race Car

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

Yup
Old 03-13-2018, 03:17 AM
K-A
Drifting

Received 137 Likes on 95 Posts

This thread is awesome. Props to O/P for living life. And LMAO at all the sheltered “white-panic” here, trying to belittle and wag fingers at him for doing so. Let him do his thing! It may not be within my comfort zones either, but sounds like one of his days are more exciting than a years worth of some members here. I’m sure he understands potential repercussions, and has considered it worth it.

I also find it funny when people who lack actual experience in hostile situations assume they’re invincible because they own a bigger “stick.” I have a friend who’s a nut when it comes to weoponry and face to face encounters. Travels with a car full of firearms of various types, bats, you name it. He watched his own friend get shot in the head. Been in countless face to face fights, violently hurt people who’ve “challenged” him. Pretty much all the cliches that ‘Muricans consider “tough and weathered.”

One time he got into it with a guy in another car (oh, road rage is a regular occurrence for him), and before he could think, he was pepper sprayed (the guy sprayed right into his window) rendering him completely and utterly incapacitated. He said it was the worst pain he’s ever felt, as he couldn’t breath until someone in a nearby house dumped milk all over him. I know you all like to think of yourself as living Rambo’s, but anyone who makes “pepper spray” jokes clearly hasn’t been hit with any.

Originally Posted by Bemo

Still waiting on Mexico to send the check.
The following users liked this post:
uphoto (06-04-2021)
Old 03-13-2018, 09:29 PM
Bud Taylor
Drifting

Received 427 Likes on 306 Posts
Default Hold Ups

I went to Mexico and got stopped twice in a single week for shake downs in the middle of the day. We were driving an economy rental car with a bunch of other middle aged guys. Also in the period of a week I had had 2 automatic weapons pointed at me while stone sober doing nothing wrong. Good luck dude, I hope you have better luck than me. Never again.

OMG, STG please don't put this nonsense

Their not attacking people driving around around. This isn't Africa.

You are not living in that much safer place than Mexico: #45 usa vs #41 Mexico Crime rate. We are not living in Europe, where people actually are civilized.
http://www.nationmaster.com/country-...e/Crime-levels

Look for trouble, you will find it ANYWHERE, but they are not Hi-jacking tourists left and right.
Old 03-13-2018, 10:27 PM
911-TOUR
Rennlist Member

Received 310 Likes on 160 Posts

Originally Posted by K-A
This thread is awesome. Props to O/P for living life. And LMAO at all the sheltered “white-panic” here, trying to belittle and wag fingers at him for doing so. Let him do his thing! It may not be within my comfort zones either, but sounds like one of his days are more exciting than a years worth of some members here. I’m sure he understands potential repercussions, and has considered it worth it.

I also find it funny when people who lack actual experience in hostile situations assume they’re invincible because they own a bigger “stick.” I have a friend who’s a nut when it comes to weoponry and face to face encounters. Travels with a car full of firearms of various types, bats, you name it. He watched his own friend get shot in the head. Been in countless face to face fights, violently hurt people who’ve “challenged” him. Pretty much all the cliches that ‘Muricans consider “tough and weathered.”

One time he got into it with a guy in another car (oh, road rage is a regular occurrence for him), and before he could think, he was pepper sprayed (the guy sprayed right into his window) rendering him completely and utterly incapacitated. He said it was the worst pain he’s ever felt, as he couldn’t breath until someone in a nearby house dumped milk all over him. I know you all like to think of yourself as living Rambo’s, but anyone who makes “pepper spray” jokes clearly hasn’t been hit with any.

Still waiting on Mexico to send the check.
Having spent a good part of my life in the garden spots of the world, all I can say is: AMEN - the bigger stick isn't always gonna help you - and you have to learn to be smart about when to play dumb and/or ignore it. I wouldn't trade my experiences for anything, but I'm glad it was before I had kids. Anyone that doubts the world is a hard place (even inside the border) is just wrong. That said, as with anything, the risks are manageable, but you have to be aware of them to manage them.

Personally, I think a lot of folks could benefit from getting outside their comfort zone - speaking from personal experience it builds character, perspective, and resilience. But, hey, to each their own.

cheers!
The following users liked this post:
Guards_Red_991 (06-04-2021)
Old 03-13-2018, 11:06 PM
K-A
Drifting

Received 137 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by 911-TOUR
Having spent a good part of my life in the garden spots of the world, all I can say is: AMEN - the bigger stick isn't always gonna help you - and you have to learn to be smart about when to play dumb and/or ignore it. I wouldn't trade my experiences for anything, but I'm glad it was before I had kids. Anyone that doubts the world is a hard place (even inside the border) is just wrong. That said, as with anything, the risks are manageable, but you have to be aware of them to manage them.

Personally, I think a lot of folks could benefit from getting outside their comfort zone - speaking from personal experience it builds character, perspective, and resilience. But, hey, to each their own.

cheers!
EXACTLY! Well said.

Quick Reply: Built Porsche Tough - Tijuana Mexico Adventures