Sponsored by:

Cost and process of installing IPD Plenum

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2017, 09:38 PM
Maxr
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 9914s
I payed my Porsche dealer $1195 for the part and the installation.
that's a good deal. $200 to install it? We get ripped off here. That's why I don't buy my cars in Washington. I bought the porsche for about 30K less in Texas and 30K less for my Benz from Maryland.
Old 01-10-2017, 09:43 PM
9914s
Rennlist Member

Received 261 Likes on 144 Posts

Originally Posted by Maxr
that's a good deal. $200 to install it? We get ripped off here. That's why I don't buy my cars in Washington. I bought the porsche for about 30K less in Texas and 30K less for my Benz from Maryland.
The work was done at Champion Porsche not the cheapest dealer in south Florida. I guess I got lucky.

Edit, I checked my invoice it was 995 part 250 labor.
Old 01-10-2017, 10:26 PM
RobC4sX51
Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

Maxr, I recommended you contact Greg @ IPD to help w the install! I paid about $200 for the original install of that IPD plenum but that was because the cab had a recall for anti corrosion and they would already have the bumper off! At least you got the part for half price!
😀
Old 01-10-2017, 11:38 PM
Duke I
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

9914s, where are you located? That's a deal!

Saw your post. Wish the dealer were closer.
Old 01-10-2017, 11:51 PM
PCA1983
Rennlist Member

Received 456 Likes on 311 Posts

Originally Posted by STG
How did they shave off 5 1/2 hours?
They all canceled their Friday night strip joint plans that you were paying for!
Hey. Those babes cozying up for those $100 glasses of champagne are not cheap :-)
Old 01-11-2017, 03:56 PM
Maxr
Instructor

So the final verdict is in. The IPD is installed!
Only took them 4 hours to do it.

Hard to say exactly what the difference is now since I did the BMC filters and AWE exhaust first. But it sounds like a beast!
I was going to do COBB first but got such a great deal on the IPD that I couldn't say no. Thanks Rob!

For those of you who plan on doing the job in the future it does not seem as difficult now that I've talked to the tech. I was almost there myself and chickened out after I pulled the TB. Some shops think the engine has to come out, but that's definitely not the case.
They charged me for 3 hours, which was $513+tax and ate the rest.

Of course the advisor apologized, but the damage to the relationship was done. Other than warranty work that shop will never touch my car again.
Some me people just need to learn customer service skills. It would have been better to check some more resources before calling me to tell me the job was actually going to cost 4 times the amount of the original quote that was guaranteed.
Old 01-11-2017, 04:22 PM
RobC4sX51
Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

Glad you got her done. There is no doubt that your car is breathing (inhaling & exhaling) more efficiently now with your mods. Is it huge? No, but for the $ the best & really the only option. Will an ecu tune help now too, sure! But you started with the hardware to make that happen. Enjoy!
Old 01-11-2017, 05:13 PM
mtony
Pro

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Maxr
So the final verdict is in. The IPD is installed!
Only took them 4 hours to do it.

Hard to say exactly what the difference is now since I did the BMC filters and AWE exhaust first. But it sounds like a beast!
I was going to do COBB first but got such a great deal on the IPD that I couldn't say no. Thanks Rob!

For those of you who plan on doing the job in the future it does not seem as difficult now that I've talked to the tech. I was almost there myself and chickened out after I pulled the TB. Some shops think the engine has to come out, but that's definitely not the case.
They charged me for 3 hours, which was $513+tax and ate the rest.

Of course the advisor apologized, but the damage to the relationship was done. Other than warranty work that shop will never touch my car again.
Some me people just need to learn customer service skills. It would have been better to check some more resources before calling me to tell me the job was actually going to cost 4 times the amount of the original quote that was guaranteed.
Can you elaborate on what the issue was once you removed the throttle body? Thanks!
Old 01-11-2017, 06:41 PM
Maxr
Instructor

I just got overwhelmed with the amount of parts that needed to be removed at that point and figured the engine had to come down. Several members confirmed that as well when I posted about it. Even Alex at TAG said the same thing. I guess there's a way and i maybe could have done it, but by that time I was so frustrated that spending 500 dollars didn't seem unreasonable so I put it back together. If I had to do it again, now knowing that its doable without removing the engine, I would try it again, just for the experience. I enjoy working on cars and back in the day I removed and rebuilt a motor and added a supercharger to a Mitsubishi eclipse simply by reading forums just as I do now. However, at this point in my life I make enough money that 500 dollars wouldn't break the bank and there's a better use of my time spending it working.
Old 01-11-2017, 07:50 PM
whoddoo
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

IPD plenums are consistently priced around $950 for the part regardless of where you go. My install was $250 but this was for both the plenum install and BMC replacement air filters. Used a local source for the install based on recommendations from this site.
Old 01-14-2017, 12:25 AM
mdrobc1213
Rennlist Member

Received 833 Likes on 459 Posts

Originally Posted by whoddoo
IPD plenums are consistently priced around $950 for the part regardless of where you go. My install was $250 but this was for both the plenum install and BMC replacement air filters. Used a local source for the install based on recommendations from this site.
Same also on my car about $950 for the plenum and $314 for the install including BMC filters also. Sounds absolutely freakin awesome with my Akrapovic Ti exhaust! Now need a Cobb tune also.

Quick Reply: Cost and process of installing IPD Plenum