GT3 CLs yes, GTS CLs not so much.
interested to know why you say this
Old 01-10-2017, 06:30 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,702 Likes on 2,683 Posts

Originally Posted by Sharm
The CL's look quite stunning in person, IMO much nicer than the 5-lugs, but to each their own.
Sure they look great, but they are a nightmare for the DIY mechanic (or if you have to change a tire on a road trip). You can't even remove a front wheel (on a RWD model) without having a second person sit in the car with a foot on the brake (or use a mechanical clamp on the brake), because the torque required is strong enough to just spin the wheel rather than loosen the nut.

And you have to travel around with a 4 foot long breaker bar and torque wrench (or very expensive torque multiplier) to even attempt the above...

CL's are used in racing because it makes changing a wheel faster (because racing versions allow the use of pneumatic wrenches on the nut which is forbidden on the road version). There is no weight savings and the time to change a wheel is much longer (rather than shorter as in racing). It's a marketing bad joke...
Old 01-10-2017, 07:02 PM
theaudir8fan
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OP, if you don't spec the GTS interior, you don't actually get CF interior trim, it's black aluminium, I personally like aluminium better, but the best one i seen is a graphite aluminium on the GT4s
Old 01-10-2017, 07:04 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,857 Likes on 1,901 Posts

Originally Posted by Porsche_nuts
interested to know why you say this
Because the GT3/GT3RS wheel design is awesome and the GTS CL wheel design is meh. Personal preference.
Old 01-10-2017, 07:28 PM
budrichard
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I like the idea of Cl wheels.
I like the idea of 30 more Hp.
I like the idea of PTS (not available when I ordered my 991.2 C4S).
I like the idea of Gloss black tail pipes but I have OEM matt black pipes.
I don't like Alacantara.
I don't like 10mm lower.
I don;t like badges.
I don't like $160KUSD versas $138, 345USD.
I don't like trading and spending more money!
Easy decision for me.-Richard
Old 01-10-2017, 07:32 PM
Sharm
Pro

Received 73 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by GrantG
Sure they look great, but they are a nightmare for the DIY mechanic (or if you have to change a tire on a road trip). You can't even remove a front wheel (on a RWD model) without having a second person sit in the car with a foot on the brake (or use a mechanical clamp on the brake), because the torque required is strong enough to just spin the wheel rather than loosen the nut.

And you have to travel around with a 4 foot long breaker bar and torque wrench (or very expensive torque multiplier) to even attempt the above...

CL's are used in racing because it makes changing a wheel faster (because racing versions allow the use of pneumatic wrenches on the nut which is forbidden on the road version). There is no weight savings and the time to change a wheel is much longer (rather than shorter as in racing). It's a marketing bad joke...
Understand. Fortunately I havent run into such a problem and I figure if it happens I can use the tire repair package to get the car to a dealer or just call porsche roadside assistance and flatbed it. I don't take my car on very long road trips but that may change in the future. Not a DIY mechanic type here, but if you are I guess I see your point.
Old 01-10-2017, 08:04 PM
GSIRM3
Drifting

Received 63 Likes on 38 Posts

Sure they look great, but they are a nightmare for the DIY mechanic (or if you have to change a tire on a road trip). ...
Why would you be changing a tire on a road trip? You don't have a spare.
Old 01-10-2017, 08:29 PM
Rezus
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Archimedes
Because the GT3/GT3RS wheel design is awesome and the GTS CL wheel design is meh. Personal preference.
Personal choice for sure but the GTS/Turbo S wheels are classic and timeless IMO, much nicer than the offerings on Carrera S

Also not sure what boxes you guys check but my GTS built came to 136K with GTS interior which is about 8K alone.
Old 01-10-2017, 08:55 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,857 Likes on 1,901 Posts

Originally Posted by Rezus
Personal choice for sure but the GTS/Turbo S wheels are classic and timeless IMO, much nicer than the offerings on Carrera S
If by classic and timeless, you mean boring and unremarkable, then we agree.

I keed.
Old 01-10-2017, 09:32 PM
randr
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Interesting thread. For me (and my location) there are a number of considerations.

1) Timing of Australian spec vehicles, plus minimum of six month wait before delivery (realistic scenario - build to order in March with delivery in December, 2017)
2) I like the wide body but prefer the svelte (IMHO) narrow body of the S
3) I like the colour theme of the GTS e.g. strong colour with black contrast
4) I like Alcantara in certain vehicles and leather in others
5) I already own a 981 GTS which I am very happy with (superb through corners and extremely rewarding on technical circuits)
6) I have a nicely specced CS2 in GR with black contrast arriving at the end of Jan 2017
7) Key options such as PDK, SC and RAS are still additional cost items on the GTS
8) I'm not a torque/HP junkie

Having said that, I think the GTS looks sensational and anyone that purchases one will be very happy with it.

The only reservation I have with the 991.2 GTS is the nature and form of the torque curve, its starting to look like a hummock and that may indicate a bit more lag (but will deliver a bigger kick in the back).

The GTS will be very quick ~ 0-60mph 2.9s - in terms of brute performance Porsche have certainly stepped up to the plate.
Old 01-10-2017, 10:09 PM
rkwfxd
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by theaudir8fan
OP, if you don't spec the GTS interior, you don't actually get CF interior trim, it's black aluminium, I personally like aluminium better, but the best one i seen is a graphite aluminium on the GT4s
Yes. I just built one with leather and noticed the black brushed aluminum. I think it looks great.

The problem now is that I have built my "dream" GTS and it comes in under $145,000 and I've almost talked myself into it rather than an S for about $8-$10 G less.
Old 01-10-2017, 10:27 PM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

Received 1,184 Likes on 629 Posts

I prefer a narrow body. I also prefer the wider range of wheel options, interior leather color options, and look of the standard (not PSE) tailpipes.

I'd just order a .2 C2S, or C2S with powerkit over a GTS.

Although since they just announced the GTS this early, I wonder if a powerkit will even be a factory option for the 991.2 as usually the powerkit is just a temporary option until the GTS is available to order.

Last edited by Drifting; 01-10-2017 at 10:43 PM.
Old 01-10-2017, 10:29 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,702 Likes on 2,683 Posts

Originally Posted by GSIRM3
Why would you be changing a tire on a road trip? You don't have a spare.
If the tire is too damaged to be repaired with the canister of goo, you might like to take the wheel to a tire store to be fitted with a new tire. I'd rather not drag the whole car there and trust some tire store guy to correctly use the center locks...
Old 01-10-2017, 10:49 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 10,717 Likes on 4,755 Posts

Originally Posted by NA430GTS
I'm noticing my 991.1 GTS value holding strong as the pricing reality of the 991.2 GTS is clearly higher than expected when all added options pile up. This model is getting quite close to TT pricing.
How are you noticing this?

Have you listed your car for sale? And received offers both before and after the announcement of the 991.2 GTS?
Old 01-10-2017, 10:50 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 10,717 Likes on 4,755 Posts

If the tire is too damaged to be repaired with the canister of goo, you might like to take the wheel to a tire store to be fitted with a new tire. I'd rather not drag the whole car there and trust some tire store guy to correctly use the center locks...
Flatbead via roadside assistance to a reputable wheel/tire shop. Just about any tire shop I would trust to carry and change a high performance tire (like the ones on a 911) will more often than not have the capability and ability to swap out CL.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 991.2 S vs 991.2 GTS