Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Apple Play Questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2017 | 06:13 PM
stevewilm
Instructor

Red face Apple Play Questions

Just picked up my 991.2 C2S (GT Silver/ Black) this week and have started to play with the Apple Car Play/PCM. I've been searching the forum but haven't found the help I need. I would appreciate some help. Here are my questions:

1. Shows my album are when browsing my music, but not where "playing now"

2. Can you add WAZE or other apps or only apple product?

3. When I use Pandora, the first screen just shows loading? It never show my channel list. When I use it from my phone it plays with the correct information but I want to be able to change the channels

4. My car doesn't have voice activation, although I thought it was standard? Not worried about it if I can get the Car Play to work better.

Any suggestions?
Old 01-07-2017 | 06:49 PM
pnd4pnd
Intermediate

#2 - Only car play compatible apps work. Waze is not compatible (yet) and might never be. Currently apple maps is the only navigation app it supports.
Old 01-08-2017 | 10:00 AM
2001f4s
Rennlist Member

"3. When I use Pandora, the first screen just shows loading? It never show my channel list. When I use it from my phone it plays with the correct information but I want to be able to change the channels"

I use Apple Carplay in another vehicle and have been using it for some time and really like it. My other vehicle does have voice control, so the the audible texting is a really nice feature.

As far as Pandora is concerned, I find that I need to start Pandora on my phone. At this point the phone display changes to show Apple Car Play/Pandora and then I can control the App from my Carplay. This includes channels, etc.

Other than that, texting, and maps, I don't use too many Apps. However I do have 1& 1/2 screens full on the Carplay unit.

I am now considering a 991.2 to replace my .1 and Carplay is something I will be excited to have.

Hope this helps
Scott
Old 01-08-2017 | 03:20 PM
TheEngineer
Instructor

My 2016 GTI has CarPlay. There are times when I like it but I also found that it was a bit of a headache if I just wanted to plug the phone in for power but use Waze. I ended up getting one of these so I can plug in for power without launching CarPlay.
https://www.amazon.com/PortaPow-Char...dp/B00QRRZ2QM/
Old 01-08-2017 | 04:18 PM
stevewilm
Instructor

Thanks. I've found a few bugs playing with it. still cant get my Pandora to load the list of stations on screen. Works fine for my iTunes music though. Thanks for the info on the adapter. May be a good solution.
Old 01-09-2017 | 06:55 AM
budrichard
Banned

Originally Posted by TheEngineer
My 2016 GTI has CarPlay. There are times when I like it but I also found that it was a bit of a headache if I just wanted to plug the phone in for power but use Waze. I ended up getting one of these so I can plug in for power without launching CarPlay.
Good find!
What I have found is that when my Iphone is plugged in for CarPlay, if I get a verbal announcement from WAZE, any audio source I am listening to, is interrupted and does not return.
A bug that has not yet been fixed!-Richard
Old 01-09-2017 | 10:42 AM
911boy
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by TheEngineer
NICE find. Didnt want to run a charger from socket in passenger footwell. thanks.

Quick Reply: Apple Play Questions