Sponsored by:

Anybody tracking a 991.2s?

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2017, 11:10 AM
electron mike
Rennlist Member

Received 618 Likes on 274 Posts
Default Anybody tracking a 991.2s?

I recently had the pleasure of driving a 991.2s with SPASM, PDCC, PDK, RWS, SC, PSE, and all the other Porsche acronym options.....

Name:  2017-01-02%2021.47.14_zpslknpmrgn.jpg
Views: 1249
Size:  438.7 KB

Anyway, I was really impressed and enjoyed the car thoroughly! The torque was great, handling superb, and the thing sounded great to me with the sport exhaust. It also launches like a banshee, hooks up nicely, and looks amazing.

I expect it's easily faster even on stock tires compared to my GT4 on anything but the smallest tracks, and the 911 is a much better street car. A 911 s or gts should also be much easier to obtain with PTS than a GT3. So a few questions for anybody that is tracking one..

1. How do you like it on track overall?
2. How much negative camber can you get stock?
3. Any good 18" or 19" track wheel and tire options with R-comps? Preferably RE71R or NT01. Any aftermarket lower control arms available to get more camber?
4. Are Ferodo and PFC making track pads?
5. Any issues with overheating?

Last edited by electron mike; 01-07-2017 at 12:12 PM.
Old 01-07-2017, 02:45 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,528 Likes on 1,575 Posts

No idea on your questions, just wanted to say it warms my heart to see a 911 with the rear wiper!
Old 01-07-2017, 02:47 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,388 Likes on 2,509 Posts

Richard in Wisconsin does. I'm sure he'll chime in. BradB tracks a 991.1 pretty extensively.
Old 01-07-2017, 05:07 PM
djcxxx
Three Wheelin'

Received 348 Likes on 176 Posts

I recently took my .2 with SPASM,RWS.PDK,PCCB,PSE,SC to our local track for an evening session. I am a novice track driver, but with our resident pro at the wheel of my car he outpaced a lot of surprised competition. He decimated a Hurracan. I had a 15 .1 GT3 before this car and frankly the .2 C2S is a pretty close match up. Except for the sound of the GT3 above 4K, that's not even close. Here's a short video of the car entering the track a friend sent. Note the background sound of a jet engine testing courtesy of nearby Pratt and Whitney, just to let the Cup cars know what real HP sounds like.
Attached Files
Old 01-07-2017, 05:49 PM
Ski Porsche
Rennlist Member

Received 132 Likes on 73 Posts

djcxxx--given the background sounds, it seems appropriate your car is launching vertically! Thanks for nice chuckle it gave me.
Old 01-07-2017, 07:27 PM
subshooter
Rennlist Member

Received 2,143 Likes on 982 Posts

Originally Posted by LexVan
Richard in Wisconsin does. I'm sure he'll chime in. BradB tracks a 991.1 pretty extensively.

He has a 4S. ...and probably has more track miles on it than almost anybody. He would be a good sounding board.

OP: I've taken a 991.2S on a track at PEC Atlanta (not quite the same thing as a real track though) I'm such a track novice that I can only answer questions 1 and 5.

1. It was fricken awesome! ...and it didn't have the sport package.
5. No. No problem at all and I drove it pretty hard for 90 straight minutes in the summer heat in Atlanta.
Old 01-07-2017, 11:03 PM
electron mike
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Needsdecaf
No idea on your questions, just wanted to say it warms my heart to see a 911 with the rear wiper!
I noticed the rear wiper when I saw it from the back as well, classic look. I also dig the simplified "911" badge on the back.

Originally Posted by djcxxx
I recently took my .2 with SPASM,RWS.PDK,PCCB,PSE,SC to our local track for an evening session. I am a novice track driver, but with our resident pro at the wheel of my car he outpaced a lot of surprised competition. He decimated a Hurracan. I had a 15 .1 GT3 before this car and frankly the .2 C2S is a pretty close match up. Except for the sound of the GT3 above 4K, that's not even close. Here's a short video of the car entering the track a friend sent. Note the background sound of a jet engine testing courtesy of nearby Pratt and Whitney, just to let the Cup cars know what real HP sounds like.
Nice, your car looks amazing, love the color! What color is that and do you have more pictures? Was it tough to get a PTS allocation?

Originally Posted by subshooter

OP: I've taken a 991.2S on a track at PEC Atlanta (not quite the same thing as a real track though) I'm such a track novice that I can only answer questions 1 and 5.

1. It was fricken awesome! ...and it didn't have the sport package.
5. No. No problem at all and I drove it pretty hard for 90 straight minutes in the summer heat in Atlanta.
Nice! I'll have to see if they have a class I can take at the PEC to get a feel for one on track.
Old 01-08-2017, 08:55 AM
budrichard
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I have 4 days at Road America, two sessions per day. I get tired after two sessions.
2 Track days at Blackhawk and two at 'Thursday Night Thunder' the SCCA puts on at the Milwaukee Mile.
991.2 C4S, PDK (rear wiper!) SC.
I run the car in AUTO, stock everything so far and at my ability level, it performs fine with zero problems.
Only caveat, if you have ACC, have a cover made for the sensor while on Track. Put two wheels OFF at the Milwaukee mile where they have mulitple cones lining one side of the infield course, looked like I was bowling. When activating ACC for the trip home, no go.
while the sensor showed no visible damage after the off course excursion, it was broke and cost $$$ to replace and align. Power Engineering bulit me a custom cover plate. cheap investment.
At the Chicago PCA AutoX training last Spring, I tried to spin the car, PSM ON and PSM OFF, multiple times and multiple ways, could not do it and with PSM OFF, the car just pushed a wider circle. Did not try the 'drift mode'. I have only got the car loose once on the hair pin at the Milwaukee Mile,, just a little tail out,, suspect cold tires.
The C4S just goes where ever you want to go, no matter how crappy your technique is.
I always drive with PSM ON and it does 'Save Me', thank you very much.
I'm an engineer and if I could do objective testing, maybe I would change a few things from stock but for right now, it's more than enough car for me.
Compared to my 981B on Track, it's much faster accelerating, just digs out of the corners but since I drive the 981B in Auto also and have PSM ON, they both have great stability.. No problems with over heating or braking.-Richard
BTW have Porsche winter wheel package with ContiWinterContact for SCCA YetiX and Road America SnowCross!
Old 01-08-2017, 11:28 AM
Jabs1542
Rennlist Member

Received 142 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by electron mike
1. How do you like it on track overall?
2. How much negative camber can you get stock?
3. Any good 18" or 19" track wheel and tire options with R-comps? Preferably RE71R or NT01. Any aftermarket lower control arms available to get more camber?
4. Are Ferodo and PFC making track pads?
5. Any issues with overheating?
This is from a 991.1, But it's my understanding that these items are very similar if not exact.

2. Camber, roughly negative 1.5 degrees. I just had my car realigned to max out the camber. To get more you have to install the GT3 adjustable linkage.

3. 18" tires will not fit! It's not an issue with the caliper, it's the lower control arm. The connector at the hub is very wide and interferes with an 18" wheel. Your easiest options are 19" and 20", which has a huge impact on tire selection
Old 01-09-2017, 09:22 AM
electron mike
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by budrichard
I have 4 days at Road America, two sessions per day. I get tired after two sessions.
2 Track days at Blackhawk and two at 'Thursday Night Thunder' the SCCA puts on at the Milwaukee Mile.
991.2 C4S, PDK (rear wiper!) SC.
s!
What alignment, wheels, tires and brake pads are you running?

Originally Posted by Jabs1542
This is from a 991.1, But it's my understanding that these items are very similar if not exact.

2. Camber, roughly negative 1.5 degrees. I just had my car realigned to max out the camber. To get more you have to install the GT3 adjustable linkage.

3. 18" tires will not fit! It's not an issue with the caliper, it's the lower control arm. The connector at the hub is very wide and interferes with an 18" wheel. Your easiest options are 19" and 20", which has a huge impact on tire selection
What wheels, tires, and brake pads are you running?

Old 01-09-2017, 09:26 AM
Jenner
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

To be more exact if you opt for rear wheel steering 19" does NOT fit either.
Old 01-09-2017, 09:33 AM
Jenner
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by electron mike
What wheels, tires, and brake pads are you running?
Be careful here. Jabs has a 991.1 and the 1. and the .2 are not the same when it comes to brake pads and wheels.
I already mentioned above that you are probably looking at 20" wheels only if you get a S or GTS with RWS.

The 991.2 uses the front brakes from a 991.1 Turbo, and the rear brakes are shared between the .1 and .2 Carrera models
So the front pads are not interchangeable between 991.1 and 991.2

That said it means that Ferodo and PFC both make pads that fit since they make front pads for the 991.1 Turbo, and rear pads for the 991.1 Carrera.
Old 01-09-2017, 01:46 PM
electron mike
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Jenner
Be careful here. Jabs has a 991.1 and the 1. and the .2 are not the same when it comes to brake pads and wheels.
I already mentioned above that you are probably looking at 20" wheels only if you get a S or GTS with RWS.

The 991.2 uses the front brakes from a 991.1 Turbo, and the rear brakes are shared between the .1 and .2 Carrera models
So the front pads are not interchangeable between 991.1 and 991.2

That said it means that Ferodo and PFC both make pads that fit since they make front pads for the 991.1 Turbo, and rear pads for the 991.1 Carrera.
Thanks for the info. My questions on what they were using for tires, wheels, brakes is more to gauge the relevance for me personally. If they are on stock alignment, tires, and brakes, the data is less interesting.

I would bet 19" wheels will fit. I have seen 19's on 991 gt3s that had both RWS and PCCB. Since there aren't many replies I'll follow up with Forgeline to see if they have done any.
Old 01-09-2017, 02:16 PM
Leecw
Instructor

Received 113 Likes on 49 Posts

My track alignment 991.2 S w/RWS &SPASM, all stock components
Front -1.7
Rear -2.2
Brake Pads - Raybestos ST47 (F) ST46 (R) - been very happy with these, had them on my 991.1 S too
I think with RWS only 20 rims will fit, I have run Trofeo R on HRE FF01 - this weekend with Audi Club at Thunderhill was running stock PZero (N1) in the rain.
Old 01-09-2017, 02:37 PM
djcxxx
Three Wheelin'

Received 348 Likes on 176 Posts

How do you like the Trofeo on the .2? Noticeably different from the stock Pirelli's I would assume. I don't know of anyone who has run MPCup2s on the .2s.

Quick Reply: Anybody tracking a 991.2s?